• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers=Sardaukar=Fremen Fredaykin=Imperial Stormtroopers=Section 31?

For A Jedi master to be over 400 years old you only have to look at yoda who is over or about 900 years old when he taught Luke.

As for the empirors royal guards, they could have been better trained and stronger then some, but they couldn't have been of meger intellegence in order to obtain loyalty and to stop them from asking questions. Ofcourse you would want higher up in your guard to be a little smart, but ultimatly loyal to you and not to get to ambishes

------------------
We are Rangers
We walk in the dark places no one will enter
We do not break away from combat
We Stand on the bridge and no one may pass
We do not retreat, whatever the reason
We live for the one, We die for the one

As far as Star Wars novelisation goes, I never really accepted anything after the Thrawn Thrilogy: Heir of the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command. This was the first novelisation of Star Wars.

Why? As someone said, they can be contradicted by George Lucas. And George Lucas is not JMS. He doesn't really have any overall arc after Star Wars. Even the Yuuxhan Vong series are written by a bunch of writers, not one. You think you can trust the storyline written by several people?

Still, one can pick up common observations among them. Even in Yuuzhan Vong series, Stormtroopers are still considered strong and powerful compared to the standard military of other worlds.

------------------
May the light of the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha protect you.

May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fray:
For A Jedi master to be over 400 years old you only have to look at yoda who is over or about 900 years old when he taught Luke.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Qui-Gonn's master is Count Dooku who is a human.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:

Well sorta they based of them yes.. But the emperors personal guard were much better trained etc.

the senate guard in Phantom Menace was more for show.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But shouldn't the Royals Guards be for show? I mean why does a guy who can shoot force lightning need guards. If somebody pulls a gun on him he could just strangle that person and deflect the shots like Vader.

Oh and back to the original topic among all the choices I'd say the Fremen are the only ones that could beat the rangers. Both groups are trained to die for their Christ figure, but the fremen are much more hardcore and ferocious. I mean according the latter Dune novels they killed more than Hitler during their Jihad. The Sardaukar and Stormtroopers are nothing, but hired grunts that value their lives above the cause.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AngelSummers:
Why? As someone said, they can be contradicted by George Lucas. And George Lucas is not JMS. He doesn't really have any overall arc after Star Wars.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually. I remember hearing that he, sort of like JMS, had thought out the entire 9 episode Star Wars Saga, begining to end (roughly) before the original Star Wars (episode 4) was filmed. I heard it was something he had in his head since he was young. I thought 1-9 he had pretty much mapped out, anyone hear something similar?

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Bester:
But shouldn't the Royals Guards be for show? I mean why does a guy who can shoot force lightning need guards. If somebody pulls a gun on him he could just strangle that person and deflect the shots like Vader.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah I know what you mean. Seems back to front but it is the way it is
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by AngelSummers:

Even the Yuuxhan Vong series are written by a bunch of writers, not one. You think you can trust the storyline written by several people?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even though i've never read any Star Wars novels, i can vouch that you CAN trust a storyline written by many different writers, if there is someone guiding the whole universe and the story arc (presumably Lucas in this case).

Ever heard of the BattleTech novels?
These are written by a great many writers, notable ones are William H. Keith, Robert N. Charrette, Loren L. Coleman and especially Michael A. Stackpole.

Stackpole and FASA (creators of the Battletech universe) oversee the development of the storyline, major characters, events, etc. With their direction, all those different writers managed to create a coherent, ongoing and fascinating story arc, even though many of them have never even met
smile.gif

It can be done, it has been done, and i'm sure there are many other examples of which i'm not aware.

P.S.
Michael A. Stackpole, i believe, also wrote the X-Wing series of Star Wars novels (which i have not read).

------------------
"I walk, i shop, i sneeze. I'll be a fireman when the floods roll back. There's trees in the desert since you moved out ... and i don't sleep on a bed of bones."

I stand corrected then.

By the way, X-Wing series sucked in my opinion. It was too centered on Corran Horn. I, Jedi was ridiculous, as it attempted to inject Corran Horn into the Jedi Academy series. And he had the arrogance to presume that he was smarter and worthier than his master Skywalker just because he's a law enforcement officer.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AngelSummers:

By the way, X-Wing series sucked in my opinion. It was too centered on Corran Horn.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was centered on him in the first 4 yes. But book 5 didn't have him in it and I do not think he is in 6 or 7 either(5,6 and 7 is focused on wraith squadron). Not sure about 8 and 9.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited February 05, 2002).]

I stand corrected then.
By the way, X-Wing series sucked in my opinion. It was too centered on Corran Horn. I, Jedi was ridiculous, as it attempted to inject Corran Horn into the Jedi Academy series.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offense, but the X-wing series was one of the best next to Zahn's Thrawn Novels and the Dark Empire Graphic Novels.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
And he had the arrogance to presume that he was smarter and worthier than his master Skywalker just because he's a law enforcement officer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Horn WAS smarter than Luke considering Luke never move the academy off of Yavin after the discovery of it being the center of Exar Kun's Sith Empire and he accepted Kyp Durron after he killed a whole system full of innocents.

------------------

That's exactly the point. I read the Jedi Academy series too. By the time of "Champions of the Force", it was pretty clear to everyone that Exar Kun was exacting his influence on their most promising members. This included Gantoris, Kyp Durron, Streen and even Corran. Corran was harder because he was blessed with a more orless normal upbrninging with all the usual dose of common sense unlike the others.

He knew that Kyp and Gantoris before him was being influenced, if not controlled. He knew himself and Streen to be in danger as well. In fact, if I'Jedi is to be belived, he deduced it before Skywalker got an inkling of Exar Kun's presense. He also knows that Kyp Durron risked his life not only to get rid of the Sun Crusher, but the Death Star as well.

Granted it isn't enough for Kyp to redeem himself but he was already well on that path of redemption. Don't believed he was controlled by Exar Kun? Note the sudden change of mood straight after the Jedi candidates banished Exar Kun. Kyp changed from about to kill Han Solo to a wildeyed kid who suddenly realised he just blew up a planet. Hell, a few planets.

Corran didn't even give Kyp a chance even after the Sun Crusher's and Death Star's destruction. by all accounts he though Kyp should be excuted. He dismissed the above points which Skywalker pointed out and took leave of his Master just like that. And he has the audacity to think his time was wasted instead of trying to find Mirax. God I wanted to make his kowtow to Luke at that paragraph. In Chinese Martial Arts training, humility, if not total obedience is the strongest principal. How else can you trust your Master to do the right thing and make you go through the training?

He was arrogant. He was impatient. He was exactly like Luke when Luke went to Dagobah to find Yoda. Luke was also convicted he was ready and strong. Yoda proved him woefully wrong.

As Corran finally realised at the end of the book.

I think we're going a little off topic here. Let's try to return to our debate of the fighting prowess of the Rangers. Jedi not counted. They have the Force.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

Anyways, I still think Rangers are better trained at least in space combat than standard military. Particularly when they're now more or less diversified by the numerous races of ISA.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back