• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers Redux (fiction)

Hey, B5_O, is that a Homer smiley?

Will continue soon. I'm pinch-hitting in a band this week so my freet time has gone out the window...

*gasp* Back. Finally. I'm not the drummer - I play jazz violin and second guitar and keyboard bass. Sorry I had to leave you guys hanging for so long...

This is supposed to happen fast... I'm trying for a change in style to reflect that.

-- -- --

It all happened quickly.

Dulann arrived on the bridge, slid into the duty officer's chair. A few quiet moments, punctuated by his own thoughts and the soft clicking breaths of the ventilation system. Kitaro's voice. The message.

He felt his voice shaking slightly as he reached forward and toggled the intercom.

"Captain to the bridge," Dulann said. "Captain to the bridge."

Kitaro's head fell, his eyes on his work. Dulann looked up and watched the young man's eyes flicker over his hands, flit through the duty roster. On his face, that infinitely sad look peculiar to humans, that emotion his friend Martel called 'bitterness' so long ago...

Tafeek stared down at the human. The girl - a trainee only, barely a Ranger - opened wide eyes, brought a hand to cover her mouth. Retched once. Retched twice, then buried her bloodstained hand in the dead man's hair for support.

"Ellen - Ellen, no, Ellen -" Tafeek pleaded, falling to his knees next to the woman. He brought one hand to her back, the other to bring her hand away from her mouth. "Push it down. You can do it. Push it down. Remember your training."

As the woman burst into strained, violent sobbing, Tafeek followed her as she leaned forward, gasping for breath.

A long minute passed, and she was done.

"Oh, God. God. The air. Tafeek, I'm sorry," she whispered, fighting down her quick, gasping breaths. "Oh, God. We're going to die."

Tafeek slowly brought her back up, and helped her lean against the pod's back wall. "Death is not the end, Ellen."

"I don't want to die," the woman whispered.

By the time Martel appeared on the bridge, he was the only one not to know.

The codes governing vessels of the Liandra's size stipulated that calling the Captain to the bridge also called the senior staff to their stations; thus, Malcolm was already in place as Sarah popped out of the aft access tube.

"Tell me that Tafeek wasn't on that ship," she was saying, hoisting her legs out of the tube effortlessly. She wiped dirty hands on her thighs. "Please, Kit."

Malcolm was passing a flimsy to Kitaro. "Captain, it's not a fleet alert. It fell right off our sensors, and the system notification kicked in. We checked it with HQ."

"Five minutes ago," continued Kitaro. "White Star 49's gone. Orders?"

Martel found himself biting his lip. "Gone? What kind of gone? Off-the-charts gone? Is she - "

Unable to finish, he found himself reading a flimsy shoved at him by a silent Dulann.

Ten seconds later, the Captain of the Liandra looked up. While he read, the bridge had somehow grown colder, his crew grown distant, the curves more Minbari, the light harsher.

The crew - including Dulann, who was looking remarkably composed for the situation - stared at him, waiting.

"As you were," he said, pausing. "There's a mission briefing in fifteen. Sarah, I need a full report on what we have. Na'feel - is Na'feel here?"

Kitaro shook his head, and wordlessly opened a channel to the engine room.

"Na'feel," he called, meeting Sarah's eyes.

The engineer's voice was tinny, faraway. "Captain, I'm in the middle of something..." A crash.

"Na'feel?"

A curse in Narnish, footsteps, Na'feel's voice - closer now. "Yes, Captain."

"How fast can you get me stealth capability?"

Malcolm's eyebrows shot up.

"Eight hours, if we were in drydock," the engineer complained, "but we're not, so -"

Martel cut her off. "I need it in four or less."

"Yes, sir."

He waved, and Kitaro cut the channel.

His crew looked at him expectantly, sadly.

"Fifteen minutes," Martel said, turned on one heel, and exited the room.

Martel made it five steps down the corridor before he heard the familiar footsteps behind him. He turned, and saw Dulann, hands folded. The Minbari's face was a mishmash of emotions, stuck in a trap between anger and desolation, wrapped in his normal logical levity. Martel found himself with a loss for words.

"I shouldn't have granted that transfer request," he said, quietly.

His friend shook his head. "It is - unexpected news."

Martel's mouth went dry. "Dulann, you're not all right."

Dulann's mouth twisted slightly. "I am fine," he said, quietly.

OK, I think I'm going to have to reread all of it, cause I have no idea what's going on any more. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Tafeek's not ont the Liandra anymore? Since when?

That is a large inconsistency, yes. If you check back and read from the beginning, you'll notice Tafeek's name here and there. That's because I haven't had the time to change those occurrences to "Malcolm."

I took Tafeek out (crossreference - ohhhh, I think it's somewhere on the third or fourth page) because he wasn't doing anything. He is, however, doing something now...

...so, I would be heartily obliged if you forget I ever mentioned Tafeek and bought the story that I am going to lay before you in my subesquent posts.

You'll see that this isn't revisionist history - Tafeek had a few lines here and there, and he was referenced twice (i.e., "Tafeek's on the bridge,") but he was completely unnecessary.

This coming storyline will make him necessary. And it's perfect for his truth, too...

Keep this stuff up and we will wonder if you are part Vorlon. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

There is a point. There is a point. I've dropped enough clue foreshadowing to let you know what that point might be. Indeed, you could already probably start the speculation process. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vorlon? Me? *looks innocent*

(edit: changed cosmetic things.)

-- -- --

Dulann paused for a moment. "Tafeek - stood alone in the ruins of the Lichal as the warrior caste destroyed the walls of Yedor. He survived Magdalena and Coriana 6. I do not believe that he died with his ship. I do not believe that the One called him to service."

Martel nodded, and indicated with his head that Dulann should join him as he began walking toward his office. "You read what the Council sent. No survivors."

Dulann turned, avoiding a sprinting engine tech. "Nevertheless, I believe we should -"

"They've sent two Whitestars and a salvage vessel."

"Ah," said Dulann, attempting to sound relieved and failing miserably.

Martel stopped at the door to his office and entered the code on the keypad. The door slid open, dissappearing into the wall, and he entered, Dulann behind him. The first officer moved to his customary position next to the display, silent. Martel opened a drawer at his desk, withdrawing a blank flimsy. He picked up a pen and looked at his first officer.

"Is there something you need to tell me, Dulann?"

The Minbari took a step forward. He closed his eyes for a moment before speaking.

"Samuel is no longer quiet."

"Has he spoken to you?" Martel answered.

Dulann nodded.

Bingo, Nancy. And I changed "Samuel" to "Michael." I have my reasons. And, yes, Dulann will be referencing something that you never actually saw... crappy continuity on my part. It won't happen again.

-- -- --

Dulann watched as his captain grew quiet, seating himself, pulling up until he was ramrod-straight in the chair (bolted to the floor, like nearly everything else in the room except Dulann himself). Martel indicated that his shok'nali take a seat, but the Minbari shook his head.

"Suit yourself," Martel murmured. "You're going to be here for a while. Michael's spoken to you?"

While in drydock, the captain had taken a few moments to look up the previous crew's duty roster. The Liandra's previous captain had been a striking red-headed woman - Rachel Saro - that looked uncannily like Sarah; and although Dulann sensed that she was still aboard the Liandra, he never saw her shade. It was the shade of Michael Hargreave, Captain Saro's shok'nali, that spoke to Dulann during the Liandra's first contact with the Hand, Michael Hargreave who was the last to suffocate, Michael Hargreave who appeared to Dulann in the infirmary and spoke to him of traitors and lies.

"I do not believe that he wants us to proceed on our mission to Beta Durani 7," Dulann said, recalling the odd, disconcerting encounter with the shade just outside the engine room. "He said nothing, but I felt that - "

Martel sighed. "You know I need more than tea leaves and feelings, Dulann," he said, dropping his pen. "I believe you - make no mistake of that. But this is smoke. This is like the Centauri seer-woman who told me that I was going to be buried in a mineshaft eight months after it actually happened. In the very few documented cases where someone's actually talked to a ship-shade - "

Dulann inclined his head to one side. "Lady Cariasta never said it was a mine shaft, David."

"Whatever," Martel said, dismissing the issue with a wave of his hand, plowing forward. "In the very few documented cases where there's been a ship-shade, the spirit has always been fixed on - "

Dulann, primly, interrupted. "This is a human shade," he said. "The others were Minbari. No one knows what could be different."

"Well," Martel said, warily, "I'm not sure I'd be that concerned, knowing what we know about human and Minbari souls." He paused, considering, tapping his pen on the table. "If you hear anything more - or see Michael again - I want to know. Now, let's get to those datacrystals..."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back