• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers Questions

Natron

Beyond the rim
What is the command structure of the Rangers? From what I've seen the White Stars are captained by humans and crewed by Minbari, but are there specific ranks? From what I've read, Martel has Dulann as his first officer.

Also, what ships do the Rangers use. I always thought they just used White Stars (and Victory-class Destroyers when more are built). Know with LotR, there is the Liandra, which is a Minbari ship.

If the Rangers use Minbari ships as well, do they also use ships from other races?

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

to quote from the Plot Info page on this very site:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> David notices another ship, the Liandra. David can't believe she's still flying, but Sarah explains the alliance needs all the ships it can get. </font></td></tr></table>

I'm guessing that there are more Rangers than Whitestars at the time of the show, what with all the ships lost fighting the Shadows and Earth. Beggars can't be choosers.

------------------
Never start a fight, but ALWAYS finish it.

" The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>From what I've seen the White Stars are captained by humans and crewed by Minbari, but are there specific ranks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't the case that White Stars are always captained by Humans and crewed by Minbari. This happens to be what we've seen most of the time. White Stars are captained by Rangers and seem to be largely crewed by non-Ranger Minbari during the Shadow War. Sinclair seems to have had more luck recruiting Humans than Minbari when he rebuilt the Rangers, any given ship is therefore likely to have a Human commander. Also, in B5 we mostly see ships assigned to the area of the station, where the Rangers are under joint Human-Minbari command, with Sheridan very much the senior partner, so they are most likely to have Human commanders.

As for command structure - there would have to be one. Certainly the captain of a Rangers ship is probably the next thing to god, and there has to be a chain of command in order for Sheridan and Delenn to make use of this force.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Sheridan also gave the order that during the Earth Civil War only human captains were to be used. He did not want people thinking that this was a repeat of the Earth-Minbari War.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

As said before when humans first started joining the Rangers the number of Rangers had dwindled and consisted mostly of old Minbari. Not long after Sinclair describes the Rangers as being mostly human. Since these Rangers are the ones with the most experience they are also more likely to be captains.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

When the Ranger captains met with Delenn on the station in "Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?" only about one third of them were Minbari.

------------------

Uhm, how confusing to have the same question started in two separate forums. Shouldn't this question be limited to the Rangers forum and not here?
crazy.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
There is nothing to fear in the dreaming, only that which we bring with us. --Dukhat

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited January 15, 2002).]

Yep, this really belongs over at the Rangers Forum. Moving it over there.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back