• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers on the Web. Would it be possible?

Almir

Regular
Everybody knows that the B5 comunity is very large overseas. Our American friends can't possibly imagine how hard it is for us to see all this good-ratings-or-no-series situation, wanting desperately to help, to be part of it, and in the end fell like a voice that can not speak. So, I was thinking (and this could be the most stupid thing one ever sugested about this show).
Could be possible to the Scifi Channel to broadcast the Rangers movie through the web? Today with all this high speed connections wouldn't be perfect, but I think it would work. Even if there was a fee involved (like a pay per view)or with comercials directed to the web market.
Maybe is a little to late for the technical setup?
What do you think?

Almir

------------------

Sci-Fi has enough trouble just keeping their message boards running. I think you're barking up the wrong tree there.

The best thing you can do to support the show (B5 in entirety) is to buy the books and the DVD. This will soften up Warner Bros' position and get those little dollar signs in their eyes.

We'll handle the ratings!

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

Lets see. SciFi's computers take 5 minutes (at best) to download a relatively few copies of a 30 second Trailer.
At that speed, a 45 Minute Episode would take about 7 Hours to download.
That's not counting the degradation they'd experience as a Whole Lot More people go after a full episode.
They'd have to spend a couple Million upgrading their computers to handle it.
Then, they would Lose millions of dollars worth of Advertising revenue by sending it out over the web.

Somehow, I don't see how anyone could think the Bean counters would ever let this idea fly.
Although it might be nice to try proving the theory of Spontaneous Human Combustion by suggesting it to them.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

The cost would be humongous, both in terms of renting the bandwidth and getting worldwide net broadcast rights from WB.

And the audience would be completly unpredictable and spread all over the world. No way anyone would spend money on that.

Basically, if this was viable, somebody would be doing it by now. And it wouldn't be the SciFi Channel, since their focus is the US cable TV market.

------------------
"The world is a cold, heartless place... It's hurt you and it's hurt me.
But no more! For now I have the power DiTillio - The power to end the world!" (hear it)
-- Jeremy, "Ragnarok and Roll", The Real Ghostbusters

drakh@spamcop.net

I share your frustration! I don't know how we can do anything about it but at least we are here. Our profiles are available to any 'big wigs' coming here to try and gage the 'overall' interest in the series. There is little more that non-US fans can do until the movie comes to our country; then we have to promote the hell out of it..

Faith Manages!!

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

I told you it was a stupid idea. It's just that I remember that Madonna had one of her shows broadcasted live through the web last year I think. It was in streaming video or something like that and I heard that some TV news were broadcasted in the same way.I never saw any of them, that's why I asked.
Anyway, it was just a thought.
Now I'm back to my chair.

Almir

------------------

I think that the Madonna concert was broadcast through MSN, so they already have an infrastructure in place.

Anyways, there are always alternative channels through which you can watch B5LR soon after it airs in the States (much like how some people have seen episodes of Enterprise
wink.gif
)

------------------
"SIR ALECA GUINNES CAPTIAVAETS US WIHT A GRIPPING AND POWERFAUL VISIION OF AN APOCALPYTIC WINDOW PROPPED OPEN WIHT A BLUE KAZOO" - Taco the Wonderdog, Wit and Wasdom
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

Yeah, I know this alternative methods.
I just wanted to help on the ratings but like B5 Obsessed said, they'll handle it.
Thanks anyway Nukemall.
BTW, Enterprise this week was a rerun!Already?

Almir

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> BTW, Enterprise this week was a rerun!Already? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What episode no has it got to?

------------------
"SIR ALECA GUINNES CAPTIAVAETS US WIHT A GRIPPING AND POWERFAUL VISIION OF AN APOCALPYTIC WINDOW PROPPED OPEN WIHT A BLUE KAZOO" - Taco the Wonderdog, Wit and Wasdom
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nukemall:
Anyways, there are always alternative channels through which you can watch B5LR soon after it airs in the States (much like how some people have seen episodes of Enterprise
wink.gif
)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not everyone knows how to do that, has connections or access.
frown.gif

Besides, I think Almir's point was how we in other parts of the world could help in the ratings - just viewing the movie "through alternative channels" wouldn't really help convincing the SciFi folks that they need to approve the series.

Edit note: I see Almir already confirmed this. That's what I get for having to do some work while trying to post.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by Kribu (edited December 07, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
That's what I get for having to do some work while trying to post.
laugh.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, You do that too, don't you?

Almir

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Almir:
So, You do that too, don't you?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yes. And it's really annoying when I am trying to post and then someone disturbs me with some work-related talk.
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
Oh yes. And it's really annoying when I am trying to post and then someone disturbs me with some work-related talk.
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame on them.
Talking about work...
In working hours?
Bahh!
cool.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Almir:
I told you it was a stupid idea. It's just that I remember that Madonna had one of her shows broadcasted live through the web last year I think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Most likely a loss-making PR gimmick, since she makes her money from touring and world-wide record sales.

------------------
"The world is a cold, heartless place... It's hurt you and it's hurt me.
But no more! For now I have the power DiTillio - The power to end the world!" (hear it)
-- Jeremy, "Ragnarok and Roll", The Real Ghostbusters

drakh@spamcop.net

For those of us still operating with a modem it would be almost impossible to download an entire episode. It took me long enough to download the trailers.
crazy.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
For those of us still operating with a modem it would be almost impossible to download an entire episode. It took me long enough to download the trailers.
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well not really impossible I am on a 56k modem.

I have dowloaded certain episode's of shows of the net ranging from real bad quality 30mb ones up to a few hundred mb's....I just start downloading before i go to sleep and let it do it's thing..

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

just viewing the movie "through alternative channels" wouldn't really help convincing the SciFi folks that they need to approve the series.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. Any viewing over the web -- international or domestic -- wouldn't get counted in the Nielsen ratings, and thus wouldn't have any impact.

Even though several companies (including Arbitron) provide services that measure webcast audiences, that whole industry is still in its infancy, and any audience watching over the web would simply be ignored.

-- Marty

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back