• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers Final Cut

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Sometimes we have to remind Warren there is no actual ship. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ssssshhhh! Let him dream!
laugh.gif

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

It's so cute how into this stuff the actors are. I'm used to seeing the Trek actors on interviews poking fun at the shows and the space sci-fi things, never really taking it as anything more than another job, so it's quite a difference reading Warren's posts talking comfortably about consoles and hyperspace.

It's a very new and fun aspect to realm of sci-fi for me.

Just promise me one thing, crew: when you hit middle age, don't wear tupees, write lame sci-fi books, or host Highway Patrol shows.
smile.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Banner, you have to remember that the lighting in Babylon 5 was Deliberately Dark. the show was intended to have a certain Mood and the lighting was part of it.

Rangers is going for a Different mood (JMS said he's "Done" angst, time to move on
wink.gif
), so I'm confident the lighting of Rangers will be different.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>... when you hit middle age, don't wear toupees, write lame sci-fi books, or host Highway Patrol shows. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G'KarsEye, You left out Singing Off Key.
tongue.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Dylan? You mean - you mean - it's not real? There is no actual Liandra? Bah! Next thing you'll tell me there's no such thing as purple wombats!

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire, the next JMS, neo-academic, President of the Unofficial Society For The Appreciation Of Captain Martel, and keeper of the Sacred Flame Of The Madrecasa.

Ok so DS9's two hour premiere cost about 12 mil

I found more budget info for those interested in comparisons

"Of course, Paramount will be working to make the series look as least as advanced as Star Trek: Voyager, featuring Trek's usual high standards in production design. According to SFX, the pilot has been budgeted at $10-$15 million, though this number, if even correct, likely doesn't include the costs for the permanent Enterprise sets. Voyager's 'Caretaker' pilot was reported to have cost $23 million, including the standing sets, so the SFX number is likely only referring to the extra budget for the pilot episode itself. "

Ok so DS9's two hour premiere cost about 12 mil....
Enterprise I'm estimating is around Voyagers, so they have quite a bit of money difference compared to B5LR

------------------

[This message has been edited by Onearmedmidget (edited October 06, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
I've already heard the rumors down here in L.A. about how some studio people think this show blows the doors off of Enterprise - I'm no longer worried, they're very different shows.

Cheers,

Dylan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm so glad to know that you're reassured after having seen it. Having watched lots of Science Fiction from the 60's to the New Century and from Britain, Canada, the US and Australia, I can say that there is a lot more out there than the Trek Universe. Many here have likely watched the likes of Dr. Who and Blake's 7, Lost In Space, Thunderbirds, and Farscape. Trek may have paved the way but it hasn't 'stolen the show' so to speak. Fans like variety and depth in their SF programming. Dr. Who is terribly dated now, especially the material from the 60's and 70's but it's still got fans, devoted fans, because it was an example of being creative and telling good stories about a very unique character and Universe. The B5 universe is an Amazing place to visit -- trying to compare it to the Trek Universe is like comparing a juicy orange to a sour lemon. They are both as they should be, but which would you rather eat once a week? I think the Sci Fi channel is smart enough to know that. I know the fans are.

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

I never considered Babylon 5's production values inferior to any other show out there. The sets didn't look cheap to me - actually, they must have looked fine as I never thought of them as sets. I was too captivated by what was happening, by what the characters said and did.
smile.gif

It's always the story that counts, and that doesn't take millions and millions of dollars. Unless the sets look like cardboard cutouts made by a 5-year-old, I really don't think that most people who want a good story (and that would be not only the current B5 fans but hopefully a whole lot of new people as well!) will be put off by them.

It is good to know that the actors are still enthusiastic about the movie - I mean, it's what? four months since your work on it ended? I'm guessing that means it really *is* good stuff.
laugh.gif

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see it. And the series (well, I'm not planning to go out and drown myself if one won't follow, but I'm trying to be very, very positive and believe that there will be one).

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
The One and Only True Kribu Board

Hey...Who is this Dylan Neal guy anyway?

What?!? What do you mean there is no real ship? What!?

Your kidding right...right...Uhmmmmmmmmm?

Okay...The jokes over guys...really...it is...

Oops...I seem to have misplaced the Liandra's parking place...

Oh yeah...it is in some storage space c/o Warner Bros...just remembered...(sweat rolling down my face) Phew!

Cheers!

-Kitaro Sasaki-

------------------

Right next to that Whitestar they're hiding on us.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and the next JMS.

"I have 15 things to do, all of them annoying... -Ivanova

You've seen a final cut?!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I am soooooo jelous
mad.gif

Oh yeah, how does the Liandra compare to a Whitestar in handling. is the manouverbility better or worse in a fight?

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elenopa:
Oh yeah, how does the Liandra compare to a Whitestar in handling. is the manouverbility better or worse in a fight?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Whitestars are still pretty cutting edge, having been designed less than a decade before... The only Ranger ships we know about that incorporates Vorlon tech.

The Liandra is a 20 year old piece of junk (don't tell Warren I said so!
wink.gif
), from a probably even older design...

How do you think they'll compare?

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited October 07, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
The Liandra is a 20 year old piece of junk (don't tell Warren I said so!
wink.gif
), from a probably even older design...

How do you think they'll compare?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmm.

I'm remembering a certain Han Solo and a piece of space junk that did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.
tongue.gif

Anyway, are you the pilot of the Liandra?

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

[This message has been edited by Elenopa (edited October 07, 2001).]

Warren, you get to fly the ship? Cool!!!!
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

And channe, I have seen purple wombats. They like to do showtunes around my salad bar.
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
RW, the salad bar king. Visit my salad bar forum at www.b5rangers.net

[This message has been edited by RW7427 (edited October 07, 2001).]

RW-

Hand them over. They were in my bathtub first.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and the next JMS.

"I have 15 things to do, all of them annoying... -Ivanova

Elenopa,

Originally posted by Elenopa:

Anyway, are you the pilot of the Liandra?

Kitaro here...Yes, I am the navigation officer of the Liandra...also communications and translations...

First Officer Dulann has full authority to the Liandra in terms of adjusting the take off and landing thrusters...but, usually he will leave that up to me...

We (crew) all have specific areas of expertise onboard the Liandra...First Officer Dulann is the only other person that may helm the navigation controls...but of course, he usually doesn't have the time since he is second in command to the Captain...

"Kit"

------------------

LOL channe!!!! Actually, thrawn claims he planted them in my salad bar as his "agents of choas".
laugh.gif

------------------
RW, the salad bar king. Visit my salad bar forum at www.b5rangers.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> a piece of space junk that did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that sounded so Silly to those of us who know that a Parsec is a Distance rather than a speed.
wink.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
And that sounded so Silly to those of us who know that a Parsec is a Distance rather than a speed.
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call me sad, but this did actually get dealt with in one of the Star Wars books. Apparently the distance of the Kessel run varied, depending on how much of a short-cut past a black hole you were prepared to take.

Kitaro,
Thanks for the info. So you are the person to answer my question on how the Liandra compares to a Whitestar. Is she very manouverable?

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

YEAH! I really can't wait. I saw the trailer i love it from the beginning to end!
My only fear is that when it comes here on Finland? SCIFI-Channel doesn't show here and with the finnish channel TV2 that showed Babylon 5, it could take maybe 6 month that they can show it
frown.gif
I just really hope that i doesn't wait that long.

------------------
We live for the One, we die for the One

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back