• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ranger Loyalty

I thought "We live for the one, We die for the one" was that the one could be anyone. Rangers had to be willing to die for anyone. I think I got that Idea from the episode where Lyta sees a rangers death telepathically. Dont recall the name of the episode.

------------------
"I hate it when you do that"

"Good"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Later he makes it clear that he is perfectly willing to wipe out the ships the Drazi have sent to aid the Raiders if he has to. This is Sheridan's idea of a "Peace Force." Sounds an awful lot like a Navy, to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But, they didn't end up Fighting. They did serve as a Peace Force. Once the Drazi saw that Sheridan wasn't going to let them off the hook, they backed down Fast.

Besides, I didn't say the White Star fleet wasn't military. Just that it wasn't the Primary military force and that Sheridan & Delenn have a slightly different mission for them. They are functioning more like Cops in patrol cars than a Navy. Most of the time.

Call the Rangers the alliance version of the Justice Department.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

While it is true that the bulk of Alliance miltiary force would come from the member states in the event of a major invasion or incident, it is also clear that the Rangers and the White Star Fleet are the "stick" to the IA "carrot" when it comes to keeping members in line. If the Drazi or the Centauri mount a full-scale attack on another race, the IA will requisition forces from the member races and have them deal with the problem - under the direction of the Rangers. (Who thus need to be able to function as a military staff.)

But if the Drazi just organized a little state-sponsored piracy, the Rangers can and will act alone. The IA will not intervene in the internal affairs of member states, and will seek to mediate disputes, but if it isn't prepared to use a military force of its own, why does it [i[have[/i] the Rangers and a fleet of warships? The U.N. does not have a similar force of its own - Peacekeeping troops are supplied by member nations under their own officers. There is no "U.N. high command" and no paramilitary U.N. force that individuals join and to which they owe primary loyalty.

The Rangers are precisely such a force - independent of the member worlds and not subject to withdrawal by individual members (The U.N. was originally envisioned as having just such a military arm, but that was quickly scuttled at the San Francisco Conference by states which weren't comfortable with the idea of a supranational organization with its own ships, planes and guns.
smile.gif
)

Again, if they aren't going to be used in that role, why are they equipped for it? Hell, why do they even still exist? They could have been quietly disbanded once the Shadow threat was gone, and the White Star Fleet turned over to the regular military forces of the Minbari Warrior, Religious and Worker Castes. That this didn't happen tells me that Delenn and Sheridan saw the need for an independent military force answerable directly to them.

In "The Paragon of Animals" Sheridan does precisely this - orders the White Star Fleet into combat on his own initiative, inviting the Drazi to participate only as a courtesy. Later he makes it clear that he is perfectly willing to wipe out the ships the Drazi have sent to aid the Raiders if he has to. This is Sheridan's idea of a "Peace Force." Sounds an awful lot like a Navy, to me.

The authority of the IA is primarily political, but like all authority it ultimately relies on the implied ability to apply sanctions, in this case including the threat of armed force.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back