• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

R2 Dvd Announcement

Kosh2262

Same as the R1 i believe, but check out that RRP!

from www.r2-dvd.org;

Warner Brothers have announced the first series of "Babylon 5" for release October 14th priced at £44.99 for the 6 disk set. According to the PR the series will be presented 1.77 anamorphic widescreen with a DD 5.1 soundtrack. Extras will be:

Introduction and audio commentary on 2 key episodes by series creator J. Michael Straczynski
"Behind Babylon 5" dossier of documentaries: "The Making of Babylon 5" and "Back to Babylon 5"
Enter The Universe of Babylon 5": take a station tour and explore the humans, aliens, political situations, scientific data tech files, weaponry and hardware of this unique futuristic era
The arc was finished, the story told in full. But now through this stunning DVD box set, the first chapter in Babylon 5 is gathered in one place. Beautifully remastered and packed with added features, Babylon 5 Series 1 on DVD is a must own for collectors and fans alike.

Featuring 22 episodes packed with action, adventure, drama and stunning special effects, Babylon 5 is an established modern day sci-fi classic. A must-have for any sci-fi fan and a fabulous addition to any DVD collection, Babylon 5 is a franchise enjoying popularity worldwide.

This DVD set is packed with exclusive special features including an introduction and commentaries on 2 episodes by series creator J. Michael Straczynski, three documentaries and the chance to take an interactive guided tour of the space station.

Babylon 5 The Complete First Season - Signs and Portents features the episodes: Midnight on the Firing Line, Soul Hunter, Born to the Purple, Infection, The Parliament of Dreams, Mind War, The War Prayer, And the Sky Full of Stars, Deathwalker, Believers, Survivors, By Any Means Necessary, Signs and Portents, TKO, Grail, Eyes, Legacies, A Voice in the Wilderness I, A Voice in the Wilderness II, Babylon Squared, The Quality of Mercy, Chrysalis.

That price is either an estimated street price or a typo for the RRP of £64.99 previously listed on all U.K. websites. £64.99 is about $101.00 USD, which makes sense as the RRP, about what the U.S. MSRP is. £44.99 is about $70.00 USD, which doesn't. Don't forget, the R2 Project is paraphrasing the Warner Bros. press release, they don't quote it directly and in full.

Regards,

Joe

Yeah, that caught my eye as well. Because if the £44.99 is the RRP, then I'd expect most sites to correct their prices pretty soon - but if this is an estimated street price, then I've seen only two or three UK online sites (there might be more, of course, that I don't know about) which sell it for around that. Of the larger sites, Amazon UK is around £52, and Blackstar sells it now for around £58.

Of course, *if* the German price of 33 euros is correct, and also the Canadians seem to be able to sell it quite a bit below $100 USD, then it looks as if £44.99 *could* be the RRP after all... although considering how DVDs usually seem to cost more in the UK than in the US, it would be rather odd.

In any case, I'd say there's still quite a bit of confusion left over the prices of the R2 releases, with just a month left to the release date... I wish someone finally confirmed the RRP! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Actually this could very well be the RRP. Play.com has been listing it as such and is offering the box set for 39.99. It initially listed the RRP as much higher and their price as 49.99 so it's possible that other sites are operating on outdated information and haven't gotten around to fixing it.

In any case it's good know that the R2 release will be of equal quality with the R1 release. Now I just have to wait for Play.com to ship my preorder.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
... and also the Canadians seem to be able to sell it quite a bit below $100 USD

[/quote]

Yes, but not almost 70% off, which is what the listed German price amounts to. I don't see how they can make any money at that price, if the distributors are selling it at something close to what they're getting in America. Thanks to the exchange rate a buyer in the U.S. can get the Canandian disc for around $60.00 shipped, a savings of about 20% over a U.S. dealer - and that's with additional pre-order discounts. The exchange rate with the Euro is about even. How can U.S., U.K. and Canadian RRPs be within at least the same ballpark and the German RRP and sell price be so much lower? Has Warner Bros. decided on an across the board price cut that U.S. dealers haven't hear about?

Not saying that the price is impossible, just saying that it seems damned odd.

Regards,

Joe

Well, they do sell individual disks for about 5 to 7 US dollars in India... so even by Indian standards, the currently mentioned European price would be pretty cheap. Selling something in the EU for that kind of prices, while the region code system still limps... well, it seems like financially unreasonable. I won't believe it before I see the numbers on my bank account, and that cannot happen before the street date.

Just thought I'd point out that Play.com have changed the aspect ratio from 4:3 Fullscreen to Widescreen 1.78:1 Anamorphic - that press release says 1.77 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Oh well, guess we can all make mistakes.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the price isn't a mistake - will certainly help my bank balance. I just blew £100 on Play.com...

Widescreen 1.78:1 Anamorphic - that press release says 1.77 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

[/quote]

Whether you get 1.77:1 or 1.78:1 when converting 16:9 depends on whether you properly round it off, or just cut it off at two decimal places. (The actual result of the calculation is something like 1.777777777.... :1. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) 1.78 is more accurate, but the two numbers are used interchangably. Besides, there would be effectively no difference between the two, even if they were actual aspect ratio. A 0.01 change would not be visible.

Regards,

Joe

Just thought i'd post prices, play.com 39.99, dvdpopcorn.co.uk as of today, 35.99 (incl P&P)

Oh baby...looks like the press release could be right after all /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

i received an e-mail yesterday from blackstar (who i had pre-ordered the box set from) telling me that the price had changed "to 39.99 pounds, SAVING YOU 5.00 on the rrp of 44.99 pounds."

so it seems increasingly likely that this price is the real thing - no matter how small it is! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

additionally rd-dvd.org posted some info on extras currently at the BBFC, and these included a number of B5 special features so, as expected, it looks like the R2 version is gonna be the same as R1 in terms of features but a damned low price! marvellous!

cheers!

dvd.co.uk is now pricing the R2 Series 1 set at £33.99 /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Any advances on £33.99? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

£45.99 rrp? For a 6 disc set? Has hell frozen over and no one informed me? Either some how the wrong info got out and WB haven't flexed their arms enough to quash it or WB don't really expect it to sell vast quantities and want to see what will happen at a low price point.

£45.99 thats like £20 cheaper then Buffy and TNG. Looks like I have to eat humble pie Joe DeMartino

£45.99 thats like £20 cheaper then Buffy and TNG. Looks like I have to eat humble pie Joe DeMartino

[/quote]

You may have to save a slice for me. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Several UK DVD sites have just lowered their prices, citing a new 44.99 GBP RRP from Warner Bros. Now I'm trying to find out why the bastards aren't lowering their price on this side of the Atlantic. (Which, as far as I can tell, they haven't.)

I've e-mailed a couple of people with sources at Warner Home video, and with any luck they'll get interested in the question and pursue it with them. Heck, I'd be delighted if they lowered the U.S. suggested retail price to around $68.88 (which is about what it would be based on the GBP price.) That would put the price below $50.00 with a decent discount.

Regards,

Joe

In the UK, we don't argue if something is more expensive than the US... it's just one of those things that we have to live with.

How do you like them apples!?

You may have to save a slice for me. Several UK DVD sites have just lowered their prices, citing a new 44.99 GBP RRP from Warner Bros. Now I'm trying to find out why the bastards aren't lowering their price on this side of the Atlantic. (Which, as far as I can tell, they haven't.)

[/quote]

WB USA have a month to catch up with WB UK's successful experiment. I am assuming that every fan WB USA speaks to is saying the experiment was successful. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

With all the DVD boxed set threads floating around here, I had a hard time finding the right one to post in. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I just got an email from the NW-B5 group that the boxed set is now avail for pre-ordering from FutureShop ( http://www.futureshop.ca/ ) and it is only $83.99 CAD (about $53 USD, 54 EUR, 34 GBP).

Looks like it is about time I started placing an order for this set. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I don't have the patience to wait for the pages to load to check shipping and tax costs but the price sounds reasonable. Too bad my trip to Canada is about 2-3 weeks too early. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

In the UK, we don't argue if something is more expensive than the US... it's just one of those things that we have to live with.

[/quote]

Well, in the U.S. whining and complaining is rapidly becoming an artform, if not a Constitutional Right. I'm surprised Warner Bros. hasn't been hit with a class-action lawsuit over this already. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

And I'm originally from New York, where arguing pretty much is a constitutional right, and where only a moron pays full price for anything. We're always looking for an angle. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Regards,

Joe

Wow. Thanks for that. The set looks quite fabulous. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Is it just me or does it actually look even more "real" now - as in "this is really happening" - when we can see not just the box but the discs themselves as well? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back