• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Question About Rateings

raven2032

Regular
I may have the numbers wrong but I thought Rangers got something like a 1.7 or so against the football gameon the east coast and a 3.1 in the west. If I've got my numbers right why would this be considered bad? When I see rateings for Farscape or Stargate they are usuall in th 1.5-1.8 range I think.

The original Rangers broadcast averaged a 1.7 rating nationwide. Which means that if it really got a 3.4 on "the west coast" it did even worse than 1.7 on stations receiving the East Coast feed. As for the actual numbers, we've only seen specific ratings from three or four individual cities in California, and ratings vary widely. A show that pulls a 3.4 in San Diego might get a 1.2 in Burbank or Beverly Hills. JMS cited numbers from two or three cities, withougt naming them, in one post, and someone found a local cable system's website the gave the adjusted ratings for their coverage area. Beyond that we have no actual data apart from the overall average of 1.7.

As JMS has recently mentioned (and as I've been suggesting for months) there was also the ownership issue. If Rangers had received exactly the same rating, but had been produced by Universal Studios or Sci-Fi Studios. odds are it would have been picked up. If Warner Bros. had been willing to cut Sci-Fi or USA Networks into an ownership deal, it probably would have been picked up. If it had received much better ratings (I believe they were looking for something in the 2.7 to 3.0 range for the heavily promoted one-shot movie) they probably would have picked it up, despite its being a Warner Bros. production.

But the combination of the ratings and the 100% Warner Bros. ownership didn't leave Sci-Fi with any compelling reason to put a Rangers series into production.

Regards,

Joe

Both Rangers and B5 universe in general are dead in the water right now no new books coming and certainly no series.Just because were here doesn't give us anything .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back