• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Prevue Mag On-Line JMS Interview

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">Prevue Mag On-Line JMS Interview</font>
<font size="3">First in a series to be posted Monday July 23rd</font>

For those of you wondering about a perceived lack of "B5:LR" coverage by the SF and entertainment press, I thought I'd pass along an e-mail I just received:

Greetings!

I'm writing to give you the scoop that PREVUE Magazine at www.prevuemagazine.com will be publishing an exclusive 6-page interview with J. Michael Straczynski discussing "Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers." The article will be posted on Monday, July 23. The in-depth article is the first in a series of interviews where he will share his thoughts on B5LR, his future projects and his special relationship with B5 fans.

I will send you the URL for the interview as soon as it is posted.

Kindest Regards,

David Mazor
Editor
www.prevuemagazine.com

And I'll post the url for the interview as soon as David sends it to me.
smile.gif

Breaking news as it happens...

Joe

Yippeee!!

------------------
All my life I've had doubts about who I am, where I belong. Now, I'm like the arrow that springs from the bow. No hesitation, no doubts. The path is clear.
-Ambassador Jeffrey David Sinclair, War Without End

[Kosh]...And so it begins...[/Kosh]

And now we have to wait for part II!!

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by Mondo Londo (edited July 23, 2001).]

Anytime i read the slighest bit of info on The Rangers i kept more excited. The next few years are really going to be the year of sci-fi on tv with Enterprise, B5:LOR, Andromeda, Dark Angel, Earth:FC, Farscape and Chronicle all getting media attention. NOt to mention about 50 other sci-fi shows in the works. Finally the sci-fi fans time has come
smile.gif

Capt

------------------
DS9 and B5. Who would have thought 2 of my fav shows would take place on stations in the middle of nowhere :)

This I GOTTA SEE! How do you have a 6-page interview with JMS: the ultimate dodger of questions?
crazy.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
This I GOTTA SEE! How do you have a 6-page interview with JMS: the ultimate dodger of questions?
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Immobilize him with gravity rings?

wink.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

It's set to debut in NOVEMBER? Geeze, just what month is it coming out, any way?
crazy.gif

By the Way, the article ends in those heavenly words "Part II of the Interview With JMS coming soon" !
laugh.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited July 23, 2001).]

Looked to me as if the interview was done some time ago - during shooting? - and therefore the airing date was probably nothing close to final yet.

But this does sound interesting. To say the least.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's bad luck to die on an empty stomach."
- G'Kar, "In the Kingdom of the Blind"

The more I read the better it sounds. At first I thought the "Kung Fu Weapons" thing sounded dumb, but the more I visualize it, and realize that it may have been stated out of context, the cooler it is.

In a normal ship someone says Fire and someone hits a button. How do they aim? How do they set the power for the blast? How do they target specific systems? This is a detail we never worry about, since we assume it makes sense.

Now in Rangers I picture a holographic interface, like the viewscreen on the Whitestars. Now I picture a person (Gunnery Officer) suspended within this 3D hologram representation of the battle. They touch the holo image of their target exactly where they want to hit it, and the form their hand it in, say a touch, a punch, or a thrust of the finger, determines what type and power of shot is fired, as well as vocal commands. Much more interesting, and definantly not what we are used to.

------------------

A shame the Babylon 5 Magazine folded - a few more months, and things would have started to get interesting again. Ah, well - I'll just have to keep my eyes out for other mag articles!

------------------

Interesting article. JMS always manages to seem to tell you a lot but he ends up making you want MORE more more......

Until next week
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>It's set to debut in NOVEMBER?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The interview was conducted in May or June - while the film was still in production. So November was probably the tentative airdate at that time. Sci-Fi has since told the TV critics January, so I would imagine that is the correct date and the November reference is just something that was missed when Prevue was prepping the article for publication.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
In a normal ship someone says Fire and someone hits a button. How do they aim? How do they set the power for the blast? How do they target specific systems? This is a detail we never worry about, since we assume it makes sense.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are several other considerations:

1: Which is the most Important target?
2: Which is the most Dangerous target? (Not necessarily the same thing)
3: Which one will be able to shoot AT US first?
4: Of the enemies shooting at Us, which is most likely to do us major damage?
5: How many of Our Weapons are capable of hitting each enemy target?
6: Of the weapons available, which is best suited for This Target?
7: How Many enemies are there?
8: If there are multiple enemies, will using This Weapon for This Target allow another, more dangerous, enemy to get a hit on us?

The weapons officer's job is to First answer all of these questions and Then decide which weapon(s) to assign to which target(s) and When.

You want to destroy each enemy as far away as possible.
Before they get the chance to shoot at You, if possible.
If you can only hit One of Two possible targets before they start shooting you to pieces, which one do you shoot FIRST?

If you are part of a battle group, is your ship responsible for protecting any of the Other Ships in the group? Like, maybe the Flagship?? If so, you may be required to take Hits that you could have avoided otherwise.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

I think what was being referred to is: we never see anyone "aiming", bakana. As they say, you tend to see someone "push a button". There always seem to be people staring into screens, but you never see anyone actually AIM the weapon.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
There always seem to be people staring into screens, but you never see anyone actually AIM the weapon.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hypatia, that's how Current, as we speak, weapons control consoles work: You never see anyone aiming the actual weapon.

The weapons console operator has all the targets on that screen. Along with icons representing the various weapons systems.

Alongside each target are a series of symbols that indicate such things as How fast, how dangerous, etc. each target is.

The weapons console operator uses a cursor (pointer) to designate a particular weapon and then points to the Target that weapon is assigned to shoot at.

After that, the Computers take over and aim the weapon.

If the captain hasn't "pushed the button" yet, the weapon's computer just keeps tracking the target and updating the firing solution until someone either says "stop" or the button gets pushed.

If the captain has given the "fire when ready" order, the weapon fires as soon as the computer gets a good firing solution.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Back