• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Possible Crusade Alternative (don't kill me)

GShans

Beyond the rim
Possible Crusade Alternative (don\'t kill me)

I think this would be a good idea, I like it, and I present Sci-Fi with an alternative to restoring Crusade, a simple, yet good alternative, if you can't get the rights to Crusade. Simply make a show that centers around the Titans, and Captain Susan Ivanova, working her story from the start of 2267, have her ship be the one that delivered the Senator and the plumber to the Excalibur, and have them continue on from the events of Excalibur. Taking a similar role, but under the "official" control of EarthForce, but really working for the Anlashak and Sheridan in secret, and have as the first episode, None other than..."Hidden Agendas." Now I know that Hidden Agendas is only like 30 minutes long, so have that as the first half of the premiere, excuse me, first quarter, 2hr movie, then go into her view point from returning to Earth after the Battle, and then heading out to B5 to talk to Sheridan on their next move, then have a big battle at the end of the premiere near B5. One other thing, actually have the B5 stars in the show, not just references to them, like actually seeing Sheridan and Garibaldi.

Re: Possible Crusade Alternative (don\'t kill me)

nah.

Crusade was going to be good enough, and it has to be different characters...

you don't like it, i thought it would be good, just never actually see the Excalibur, they go in different directions, they start out trying to find a cure, and then go into a role of uncovering Earth Black-Ops and corruption in general in ErathForce, while letting the Excallibur do it's own thing and not get involved.

if you're joking, well then, I'm not going to help you, but if you're not, then you'll just have to wait for the episodes to come on Sci-Fi if you want to see more.

I'd love to see "Hidden Agendas" filmed, but it took place in 2262, after Susan has gotten her Warlock Class Destroyer and before Sheridan left B5 for Minbar. Crusade started a few months into 2267 with "Racing the Night" (if you ignore "War Zone"). So, starting in 2262, say January 2262, right after Susan got her ship, and to make for even B5 Universe years/Season Years, a five year story would cover January 2262 through December 2266, right up to "A Call to Arms." Hey, maybe that could into a 5 year Crusade series. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif Still, that would put Crusade's finish 10+ years down the road. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I present Sci-Fi with an alternative to restoring Crusade, a simple, yet good alternative, if you can't get the rights to Crusade.<hr></blockquote>

You seem to assume that a) Sci-Fi currently wants to produce some kind of series set in the B5 universe and b) that the reason Sci-Fi has not revived Crusade is that there is some kind of problem with getting the rights. This is incorrect on both counts.

After deciding not to pursue a Rangers series Sci-Fi has no interest in doing anything B5-related for the foreseeable future. And Sci-Fi has not revived Crusade because they don't want to revive Crusade. They have passed up several opportunities to do so already. (Including selecting Rangers as the B5 TV movie to produce.)

Finally, since Warner Bros. owns everything connected with B5, doing a show involving Susan Ivanova would be no easier and no more difficult than reviving Crusade when it comes to "rights" - because Sci-Fi would be negotiating with Warner Bros. in either case.

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
<font color=yellow>After deciding not to pursue a Rangers series Sci-Fi has no interest in doing anything B5-related for the foreseeable future. And Sci-Fi has not revived Crusade because they don't want to revive Crusade. They have passed up several opportunities to do so already. (Including selecting Rangers as the B5 TV movie to produce.)
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Then it would appear that Sci-Fi is solely interested in burning the episodes and movies out, before they drop them altogether. After the ratings that the movies got, I'd say that they're pretty much at the burn-out point right now.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KoshN:
<font color=yellow>Then it would appear that Sci-Fi is solely interested in burning the episodes and movies out, before they drop them altogether. After the ratings that the movies got, I'd say that they're pretty much at the burn-out point right now.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
That's what I was saying a couple of days ago, and I was told I had a bad attitude or something! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

It is terrible but true: Crusade and Rangers just didn't have their chance. But then I suppose, what show does? Stations want great ratings from day 1. If they think they can get them with (to put it bluntly) cheap junkola, they'll do it.

It may just be that their fantasy/horror shift of focus will double their ratings. Dune did suprisingly well considering the fact that it really was just an O.K. miniseries. I'm not sure if Dune fits in the "Sci-fi" category instead of "fantasy", but my hope is that Dune will convince them that sci-fi isn't all so bad for them.

Time will tell.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KoshN:
<font color=yellow>Then it would appear that Sci-Fi is solely interested in burning the episodes and movies out, before they drop them altogether. After the ratings that the movies got, I'd say that they're pretty much at the burn-out point right now.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Look, I'll say this. I dont know why everyone is getting so damn worked up by the movies getting .8 and .9 ratings. I really think you people are reading way to much into this whole thing. Sci-Fi did NOT decide to run that movie marathon to drive interest and if they got good ratings to make a series. Sci-Fi did NOT decide to run those to "burn them out" to the point people wont watch them anymore, then drop them. Channels run marathons of different types ALL THE TIME people. We dont read anything into those, so why are some of us reading more into this. Believe it or not, Sci-Fi isnt some big bad network that is out to get B5. They arent running it over and over hoping to get to where people wont watch it anymore. They set up a "Themed" marathon. Big deal. They did one for Farscape a few weeks ago. No one read anything into that.

I only watched a couple of the movies myself, and only parts of them at that. Why? Well I have them all on tape already, and one of them on DVD. Most of them I have seen several times, and Rangers only twice, so I watched that again. Under those circumstances, and the fact that it was run during the day on a weekend, how could anyone expect them do blow ratings away? They needed something to fill some Sunday time, so why not a B5 marathon?

Really, its not some sinister plot. They ran what they wanted to run, and I will bet you anything that they werent doing it to make another decision on the series.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Recoil:
<font color=yellow>
Believe it or not, Sci-Fi isn't some big bad network that is out to get B5. They aren't running it over and over hoping to get to where people wont watch it anymore.

That's not what I'm saying. They're <u>not</u> out to kill B5's future. For that to be the case, they'd have to care about it, and they don't. This was a purely logical business decision. They needed something to air on Sunday, and since they still have the rights to the B5 movies, they aired them.

<font color=yellow>They set up a "Themed" marathon. Big deal. They did one for Farscape a few weeks ago. No one read anything into that.

The difference is that they're still making <u>new</u> Farscape episodes, and by getting people caught up, they may increase the audience for future <u>new</u> Farscape episodes. Well, with B5, there are <u>no</u> <u>future</u> <u>episodes.</u> In B5's case, they're just milking them 'till they're dry (the point where they are no longer profitable to air, <u>or</u> they have something else that's more profitable to air).

<font color=yellow>They needed something to fill some Sunday time, so why not a B5 marathon?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Agreed.

To Joe: that was just a stupid opening to my idea, not anything meant to it, they probably don't even know there are people out here doing this, as blind to the fans as they are.

To KoshN: The Hidden Agendas episode would be the first 30 minutes of the 2hr pilot, once that's over with, they switch to 2267, where the Titans jumps to normal space next to earth like Gideon's explorer did in Warzone, they look around, then head for B5, while telling EF that they're going after the Drakh.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GShans:
<font color=yellow>The Hidden Agendas episode would be the first 30 minutes of the 2hr pilot, once that's over with, they switch to 2267, where the Titans jumps to normal space next to earth like Gideon's explorer did in Warzone, they look around, then head for B5, while telling EF that they're going after the Drakh.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif I like it! And I would love to see it!
And who knows. In about 7 years when the quality B5 hopefully has worked up enough of fans all over the globe, maybe we will see it. Or something like it.

Another series I would love to see, would be a series centering around a Peacekeeper Command Carrier in the Farscape Universe! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

/Com

Peacekeepers? Hmm...

Without Crichton, there is no Farscape. Everything that happens in that universe has basically happened because of Crichton.

IMHO. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

I see a new butt-kicking avatar!

Yipee! Congrats, Channe! It was worth the wait, though. What a nice pic! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

Yeah, very nice pic, i like it too. 7 years, you think they'll still look young enough in 7 years from now?

How long has it been since Red Dwarf aired in England? They are all returning to make a movie. I think it has been awhile.

Don't know, don't really keep up with Red Dwarf, though i have watched one episode on PBS several months ago.

Ho hum Red Dawf ehh... i dono about the UK but it went of air in oz no less than 6 months ago... maybe 9 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

But those are repeats. The reason I ask is that years ago I saw Red Dwarf. A friend of mine in a city with a decent PBS station had Red Dwarf, the first season or two, years ago. I'm trying to remember exactly how long, but I'd guess 5 or 6 years ago.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back