• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Original idea or a copy?

Elric

Regular
I've only seen the first Ep of Jeremiah, but something that occured to me was that the basic concept is very similar to a kids program that used to be on a few years ago called 'The Tribe'.

Obviously, the story is different but the idea of adults being wiped out by a virus, leaving a world of tribes without much technology is very much the same!

Did one copy the other?

I've also heard somewhere that Jeremiah was/is a comic book story so perhaps this was written some time ago???

The TV show is totally different from the comic except for some names. Im sure we can come up with a bunch of stuff the mimics another. There really is not much that is totally new anymore

capt

I've only seen a few episodes of "The Tribe," because we don't really get it out here except for really early in the morning.

From what I can see, their only similarity is that basic premise, which doesn't mean that one is copying the other - I mean, how many TV sitcoms have fit the bill of "A Bunch Of Twenty-Somethings Living In The City Attempting To Make It" or "Stories Of A Wacky, Oddball Family?"

"The Tribe" is meant for kids and deals with issues kids would be concerned with. The episodes I've seen have the kids worried about who is going out with who and what they're wearing to a dance. As far as I saw, there were no guns.

"Jeremiah" is meant for mature audiences. Subject matter and plot is completely different.

One's a Granny Smith, the other's a Red Delicious. Both apples, but with a different sort of taste.

Jeremiah was (loosely) based on a comic written by Hermann Huppen in 1979. It has had a huge following in Europe for quite some time and I heard that the Mad Max movies were inspired by these comics.

I recently read the Jeremiah reprint of the comic that is now being published ("Gun in the Water") and it is quite different than the TV show. For one thing, Kurdy is blond and white. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif He also has a different attitude (more brazen and a quick temper) but I will have to read it again to really figure out all the differences. Plus, there must be a different cause of the "Big Death" in the comics because there are adults alive in the story I read. I think I remember JMS saying that was one of the things he updated for a more modern audience. Oh, one more thing ... the artwork is very good as well and has watercolor images instead of the standard comic style drawings we have today.

I have no idea where "The Tribe" got it's inspiration from but there have been many post-apocalyptic stories out there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In the comic, the post-apocalyptic state of the world was caused by WWIII, which started around racial questions (btw Kurdy is a racist on the comic)

Ah, that makes a lot more sense now! I knew there was something different about Kurdy but couldn't remember what it was exactly.

Thanks Tom /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I didn't realise the comic was so old. Perhaps The Tribe also got it's inspiration from that too?

Sounds like the comic is an interesting read, I'll have to have a look for it. I like the idea of water colour images.

Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the "end of the world" theme is prevelant in many different forms of literature. One of the earliest that I know about is a novel called "Earth Abides" written by George R. Stewart, published in 1949. An epidemic sweeps the world and the main character finds himself immune. Even Stephen King's "The Stand", published in 1978 deals with an epidemic that kills off 99.9% of the world's population. I can name some more but my point is, I think the "end of the world" is a great tool in literature to study human beings and their interactions, beliefs, and character. So I'm sure that some of these people have "borrowed" or been influenced by these or other works.

Latest posts

Members online

Back