• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Official: Babylon 5 coming to Blu-ray in December

The D'Agostini version sounds like it's the same as the German version, and in fact the menu screen is exactly the same as the regular UK version of the TNT edition.

Would you like me to get one off eBay for you and ship it over?
And yes get me one. Thank you! Sorry LateArrival. I asked first. ??

Have there been multiple pressings? I’ve seen photos of blue discs (similar tint as used by star trek), but the discs I received are black. Practically see-through if you keep them against the light.

Another odd thing I noticed having only watched the first 10 or so minutes of the first episode, it has the commercial break bump! WTF is that about?

Another odity. The episode is 4:3 (black border left and right), but the opening credits are 16:9 (black border all around).

These were bought through Amazon

Well I ordered two from Amazon. Shipped in an envelope. Both dinged up. One dinged pretty bad and a big cut across the spine from likely a box cutter. I had go through multiple hoops to exchange it for the same item. After that I was afraid to open and look at the discs in the other one. ? I will likely summon the courage tonight and then I will report.

Have there been multiple pressings? I’ve seen photos of blue discs (similar tint as used by star trek), but the discs I received are black. Practically see-through if you keep them against the light.

Another odd thing I noticed having only watched the first 10 or so minutes of the first episode, it has the commercial break bump! WTF is that about?

Another odity. The episode is 4:3 (black border left and right), but the opening credits are 16:9 (black border all around).

These were bought through Amazon

I've been hearing that bumper is in every episode? I hope not! One or two episodes I can accept as an annoying mistake, but every episode?

The credits were always presented in a 'widescreen' format with black bars top and bottom, even in the original broadcast.

I've been hearing that bumper is in every episode? I hope not! One or two episodes I can accept as an annoying mistake, but every episode?

The credits were always presented in a 'widescreen' format with black bars top and bottom, even in the original broadcast.

Three episodes in, and thus far there is a bumper in every episode. Just one though, around 10 to 12 minutes in.

Quick question before I check at home tonight. How many episodes per disc? I think I missed that answer.

The D'Agostini version sounds like it's the same as the German version, and in fact the menu screen is exactly the same as the regular UK version of the TNT edition.

Would you like me to get one off eBay for you and ship it over?
Appreciate the offer, but have both the German and Turkish DVD versions, so am set. Ended up with the Turkish (Toplanti) version mostly as was curious whether it was 1993 or TNT. For those still looking for the 1993 version on DVD, it's good to know which versions might be available. Not sure whether the Turkish version exists as both 1993/TNT depending on release date, but have read that the German version is 50/50-ish since some have mentioned getting 1993 while others TNT. I believe The Emoji :) One collects physical versions, but the universe loves sending him damaged plastic holders.

In regards to Region 2, don't have a conventional player that supports Region 2, but can view different regions via a USB DVD reader connected to a PC. ...if anyone sees any DVDs of The Gathering for Finland, Norway, Sweden, Czech Republic, Greece, Poland, or the Netherlands, and of course Turkey - this might be the original German version with multiple subtitles.

Last edited:
Well I ordered two from Amazon. Shipped in an envelope. Both dinged up. One dinged pretty bad and a big cut across the spine from likely a box cutter.
"I believe The Emoji :) One collects physical versions, but the universe loves sending him damaged plastic holders." ...uhm.

For what it might or might not be worth, have heard that Amazon might allegedly ship things "slightly better" than their usual throw-in-box/bag-and-hope if the items are marked As A Gift. Then allegedly they might use Gift Packaging, which usually is a cardboard box instead of (maybe) an envelope. However Gift Items might be flagged as Non Verified if you tried to leave a review for it later. Have also ordered items a day or two apart or to different Amazon lockers so they are at least shipped separately.

Quick question before I check at home tonight. How many episodes per disc? I think I missed that answer.
4 discs per season with 1 disc for the gathering, so some discs have 5, some have 6.

But there was ”no room” for special features... /s

4 discs per season with 1 disc for the gathering, so some discs have 5, some have 6.

But there was ”no room” for special features... /s
Out of curiosity, was The Gathering on a Blu Ray disc (with tons of space) or perhaps a single layer DVD? Thought the TNT version might have included a commentary with JMS and John Iacovelli, and if the TNT version comes with the new set, is that commentary included?

Out of curiosity, was The Gathering on a Blu Ray disc (with tons of space) or perhaps a single layer DVD? Thought the TNT version might have included a commentary with JMS and John Iacovelli, and if the TNT version comes with the new set, is that commentary included?

i can’t tell the difference between a bluray or a DVD disk. It’s silver on one side, black on the other, it’s round and it’s got a hole in the middle the size of an old Dutch 10 cent coin. It might weIl be a DVD. :D

The movie is 16:9 and does not seem to be remastered. But I can’t make a comparison, as my old DVD version of The Gathering was the original cut instead of the TNT cut.

The movie only has English audio and English subtitles.

The The Gathering disk also has a trailer for the The road home movie. It’s the same trailer that’s been released online before release date.

I received the boxset at Christmas and have viewed up until And The Sky Full of Stars so far, and I can report that I am ecstatic to have this collection. To have the entire five-season run in a set that I can hold in one hand is incredible, considering how much space my old B5 VHS collection took up, or even the old DVD boxsets. Even the production value of the Blu-ray packaging isn't as bad as I'd been led to believe. But the main thing is the episodes, and they look absolutely fantastic on my 65" screen. The picture is much brighter than the muddy DVDs, the colours pop, the picture is sharp and clear and the fx shots look great, it's like we're viewing them brand new for the first time. The switch back to 4:3 is barely noticeable to me and the benefits we get from this in terms of the uncropped fx are stunning.

It really is a minor miracle that we've got this release. Sure the overall package has no frills at all and was clearly made to a budget, but given the circumstances and how we read more and more about studios not releasing archive films and shows onto physical media, then the more incredible it seems that we've actually got this boxset. This really does feel like someone at WB has a love for the show and has gone out of their way to make sure this is released. Whoever made this possible, I sincerely thank them.

For me this is the definitive version of the show and this boxset is now safely one of my most treasured possessions.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back