• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Official: Babylon 5 coming to Blu-ray in December

Springer

Regular
News! JMS has announced that the complete Babylon 5 will be coming to Blu-ray on 5 December. He says it can be pre-ordered from today, though I haven't been able to find any links yet. I'm going to assume it's the HD versions that we've all been streaming for the past couple of years. We know The Gathering can't be rendered in HD because the masters have been lost (destroyed in a fire, IIRC?), but no word on the TNT movies. Either way, it's about time! Here's hoping for some new extras as well as everything that was on the DVDs. Maybe also the original and SE version of The Gathering. I wonder if pre-order sales of The Road Home convinced WB there was a market for a blu-ray of the complete series?

This is turning out to be a most excellent 30th anniversary.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Man, I would love it if they have both versions of The Gathering on this. I think I might still have the original version somewhere around this house on an old Columbia House VHS tape, but I have no way to watch VHS anymore even if I could find it. I know the special edition is preferred, but for the sake of history, I'd like to have both.

Regardless, Babylon 5 on bluray is great. It's been a while since I last rewatched the show, so I guess I now know how I'll go about doing so.

Has there been an official press release from WB Home Entertainment about the release? I've seen cover art floating about on the web but it looks like the cover of the European DVD boxset (I think?). Either way, I hope that's not the cover art, it looks fan-made and it doesn't even have the station on it! One of the few good things about the regular DVD box sets was the cover art.

I found this article on the website The Digital Bits, which claims the Blu-ray will have the original version of The Gathering! Also that the boxset will only be available online. But without official word, I'm dubious about some of this information.

https://thedigitalbits.com/tag/warner-bros-discovery-home-entertainment

Yeah I have been searching all day because JMS said pre-orders would be available, but I have found nothing, but various articles saying giving the announcement.

I can't believe it is finally happening. I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hope the movies and Crusade are next. Then LOTR and The Lost Tales.

I've just been frantically searching for pre-order links since I got JMS' Patreon update very early this morning. Been frustrating that I can't start buying it yet. ;)

Absolutely sucked being at work all day and unable to post.

Man, I would love it if they have both versions of The Gathering on this. I think I might still have the original version somewhere around this house on an old Columbia House VHS tape, but I have no way to watch VHS anymore even if I could find it. I know the special edition is preferred, but for the sake of history, I'd like to have both.

Regardless, Babylon 5 on bluray is great. It's been a while since I last rewatched the show, so I guess I now know how I'll go about doing so.
While the 1993 version can be found occasionally out in ebayland on DVD - try aiming for Region 2 versions that include both german and english audio, plus a ton of additional subtitles such as Polish and Turkish - Amazon has always had the 1993 original bundled with it's streaming package of season 1. Not sure what version Apple or HBO had, but if all the streaming platforms bundle the 1993 version with the remastered seasons, perhaps that might be they one they plan to use?

So, with the original version of The Gathering being the one available on streaming, and now reports that the Blu-ray will have the original version but none of the other movies, I have to wonder, is there a rights issue with the TNT movies, where Warners don't want to pay TNT anything? If so, then we can kiss goodbye to ever seeing those movies again.

I've just noticed that Amazon.com have changed all the pictures for the streaming seasons to that horrible artwork that's being bandied about for the Blu-ray cover. Warners are going to do this on the cheap aren't they? Man, I was so excited but that cover art, and no news of extras or the movies, has deflated me a bit. Still, it will be the same episodes whatever the box art, and that's the main thing.

Edit: just seen on Facebook that according to JMS, Warners wanted to include the commentaries "but there wasn't room", and that the movies aren't included but The Gathering is because "TG was our pilot (technically the first) episode, so it's a legit part of the series which fits the title mandate; the other movies were separate". Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
...To make things even more confusing, a few hours ago checked which version Tubi was using, and Tubi is (July 2023) using the TNT version. Music was different and when I skipped to the end, it had the later-style credits. Can't recall if they had the 1993 version when they started, as originally Tubi had it as "Episode 1" and now it sits at the end after Episode 22.

So if Amazon has the 1993 version of The Gathering and has been using that since B5 was "free" with Prime Video, and Tubi has the TNT version... Heads or Tails? Would anyone know what versions Apple and HBO Max used?

Unrelated: Amazon seems to update their artwork to whatever is trending. Have seen this especially in AudibleLand when movies such as Dune are released - the audiobook suddenly has the cover for the recent film. Have also seen this for Asimov's Foundation Series, and those who have watched the show see the familiar artwork and purchase the audio version thinking it is like the TV series.

I’d also like to have both versions of the pilot, but I certainly hope both are 4x3 not the cropped version currently streaming.

I’d also like to have both versions of the pilot, but I certainly hope both are 4x3 not the cropped version currently streaming.
Hi Brett, welcome to the forum! I didn't realise that The Gathering was in widescreen on streaming. I think it is regular 4:3 on the DVD, though I admit I haven't watched it in a while's I might be mis-remembering. I do know that the master tapes for The Gathering were apparently lost so they can't render it in HD like the rest of the series, but I'd at least hoped they'd keep it at 4:3 and not crop the fx shots. If nothing else, the pilot's special effects are a little bit of TV history and deserve preserving as best as possible – they're Emmy award-winning, the first time a live-action TV show had entirely CGI effects (along with SeaQuest DSV that same year, I believe), and the most ships ever seen on screen at the same time up to that point (beating Return of the Jedi's record, I think).

It's now available to pre-order on Amazon UK for £70 – that's a much better price than I feared. Also available at HMV for a penny less.

On Amazon UK it's ranking number 2 for Blu-ray ahead of the Picard season 3 steelbook! It shows what a good price the B5 boxset is too – 111 episodes for £70 versus 10 episodes of Picard for either £35 for the steelbook or £28 for the regular Picard release.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Babylon-Complete-Blu-ray-Bruce-Boxleitner/dp/B0CCW61CBZ

https://hmv.com/store/film-tv/blu-ray/babylon-5-the-complete-seasons-1-5

Hi Brett, welcome to the forum! I didn't realise that The Gathering was in widescreen on streaming. I think it is regular 4:3 on the DVD, though I admit I haven't watched it in a while's I might be mis-remembering. I do know that the master tapes for The Gathering were apparently lost so they can't render it in HD like the rest of the series, but I'd at least hoped they'd keep it at 4:3 and not crop the fx shots. If nothing else, the pilot's special effects are a little bit of TV history and deserve preserving as best as possible – they're Emmy award-winning, the first time a live-action TV show had entirely CGI effects (along with SeaQuest DSV that same year, I believe), and the most ships ever seen on screen at the same time up to that point (beating Return of the Jedi's record, I think).
Yea it’s a real gamble which version we could end up with. Amazon Prime is showing the original version 4:3. The DVD has the special edition in 4:3. The remastered version that was on HBOMax and now on Tubi is the special edition cropped to 16:9. I’d like to have both the original and special edition in 4:3 on Blu-ray

It's now available to pre-order on Amazon UK for £70 – that's a much better price than I feared. Also available at HMV for a penny less.

On Amazon UK it's ranking number 2 for Blu-ray ahead of the Picard season 3 steelbook! It shows what a good price the B5 boxset is too – 111 episodes for £70 versus 10 episodes of Picard for either £35 for the steelbook or £28 for the regular Picard release.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Babylon-Complete-Blu-ray-Bruce-Boxleitner/dp/B0CCW61CBZ

https://hmv.com/store/film-tv/blu-ray/babylon-5-the-complete-seasons-1-5
And I'm about to empty my cat's tray I can send that around to someone for free rather than Picard. :LOL:

And I'm about to empty my cat's tray I can send that around to someone for free rather than Picard. :LOL:
Whatcha talking about, Picard season 3 was great! With that and B5 coming out on blu-ray, I feel like I'm getting some proper closure on my two favourite science fiction shows.

TNG had closure when they had the poker game and he said "and the sky's the limit" and off they went into the distance. Nothing will change my mind on this! :LOL:

TNG had closure when they had the poker game and he said "and the sky's the limit" and off they went into the distance. Nothing will change my mind on this! :LOL:
If they'd ended there I would agree with you, but then they just had to go and make those movies... First Contact aside, Picard fixed many of the mistakes of those movies for me!

How about Android Cthulhu (from Picard season 1) vs the Borg. Would assume the original Borg died (maybe) at the end of season 3, but the season 2 Borg should still be out there, guarding that space time rip/distortion. Perhaps the distortion is Android Cthulhu coming back for a rematch?

News! JMS has announced that the complete Babylon 5 will be coming to Blu-ray on 5 December. He says it can be pre-ordered from today, though I haven't been able to find any links yet. I'm going to assume it's the HD versions that we've all been streaming for the past couple of years. We know The Gathering can't be rendered in HD because the masters have been lost (destroyed in a fire, IIRC?), but no word on the TNT movies. Either way, it's about time! Here's hoping for some new extras as well as everything that was on the DVDs. Maybe also the original and SE version of The Gathering. I wonder if pre-order sales of The Road Home convinced WB there was a market for a blu-ray of the complete series?

This is turning out to be a most excellent 30th anniversary.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The question is, are they going to do ⬇️THIS⬇️ for the Blu-rays that will coming out on December 5, 2023, achieving 16:9 live action and 16:9 CGI and composite CGI shots, which, for me, would justify buying a Blu-ray release? Would Warner Brothers do this full 16:9 treatment? $100.00 pre-order? I'll guess I'll find out on December 5, 2023 when my set arrives. ??

From: https://www.b5tv.com/threads/cropped-cgi-on-dvd-final-clarification.8586/post-242823

Joe DeMartino "JMS's hope was that they'd eventually be able to go back and re-rendered the CGI at 16:9 and re-composite these shots combining the original film and new FX elements."

See attached graphic that, IIRC, I made almost 18 years ago. Admittedly, trying to follow this stuff now, is giving me an Excedrin headache, ....or it could be my new 5G smartphone. ??

How long has this Blu-ray release of the complete series been in the works? I guess I just haven't been paying attention because of working too much. They tried to call me into work at 06:01 today but then realized that it's my day off AND I am out of hours, having worked 73:15 hours in the last 7 days.

Attachments

• 53-f89f3b3c83b3ea1235a751168844986f.jpg
    53-f89f3b3c83b3ea1235a751168844986f.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 4
The question is, are they going to do ⬇️THIS⬇️ for the Blu-rays that will coming out on December 5, 2023, achieving 16:9 live action and 16:9 CGI and composite CGI shots, which, for me, would justify buying a Blu-ray release? Would Warner Brothers do this full 16:9 treatment? $100.00 pre-order? I'll guess I'll find out on December 5, 2023 when my set arrives. ??

The BluRays will be the same remastering as has been on Prime and all the rest - the original 4:3 aspect ratio. Those were released over a year ago but the BluRay was just recently announced.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back