• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: Rangers promotion steps up

You guys, you know how to cheer me up.
laugh.gif

B5_Obsessed, good observations and very true.

I must say this is a small part of them, I'd say jut the SCI FI Wire people. The people who designed the Rangers bit are possibly seperate. But I think this is a SCIFI.com issue, and not SCI FI as a whole. I want to work with whomever where possible, it's what's helped get this site happening.

But KoshN, about me putting the ads up, it ain't gonna happen.
smile.gif
Devoting my ad inventory will cost me money. I was prepared to do it anyway, as I was completely happy to help. And if SCI FI Wire were to do their part, it would be a great partnership. But partnerships work both ways.

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

Well, you not putting up the ads as banners isn't a big loss for SciFi anyway - after all, this whole site is a huge advertisement for their project. One more banner ad is really not going to make a difference, I think.

Perhaps if you just put their future banners up as an illustration in a news post as well, just as you did this time - as this won't take up your banner space, couldn't be considered as grovelling
wink.gif
and would at the same time satisfy the curiosity of your visitors as to what the ads SciFi is coming up with look like?

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
You guys, you know how to cheer me up.
laugh.gif

B5_Obsessed, good observations and very true.

I must say this is a small part of them, I'd say jut the SCI FI Wire people. The people who designed the Rangers bit are possibly seperate. But I think this is a SCIFI.com issue, and not SCI FI as a whole. I want to work with whomever where possible, it's what's helped get this site happening.

But KoshN, about me putting the ads up, it ain't gonna happen.
smile.gif
Devoting my ad inventory will cost me money.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What?
crazy.gif
Weren't they going to pay you to put their ads. up? It shouldn't cause you to lose any money. It should make you money.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:

I was prepared to do it anyway, as I was completely happy to help. And if SCI FI Wire were to do their part, it would be a great partnership. But partnerships work both ways.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah well, it was just a thought.

Speaking of ads., I just clicked on the B5 Calandar ad at the top of the page, and ordered two B5 2002 calandars.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive... hmm, come to think of it, it should be here already!

I think it's been a few weeks now since I ordered it.
crazy.gif

Well, good things are worth waiting for, and there's still enough of this year left.
smile.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
Perhaps if you just put their future banners up as an illustration in a news post as well, just as you did this time - as this won't take up your banner space, couldn't be considered as grovelling
wink.gif
and would at the same time satisfy the curiosity of your visitors as to what the ads SciFi is coming up with look like?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that idea.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
What? Weren't they going to pay you to put their ads. up? It shouldn't cause you to lose any money. It should make you money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no. If they were paying, I'd have no right to bitch about SCIFI.com. And I wouldn't either, I'm fickle. But they just wanted to "use" me. And I didn't mind, to help the cause. That is until... well you know, all the stuff above. I only have so much tolerance.

So I get paid for all the general ads I run, and the calendar ads are on per sale. So devoting my banner space to them would have been diverting from my banners, but I didn't honestly mind. I'm not awkward, that's the annoying thing. I was being nice to SCI FI, but SLAP.

And thanks for buying those calendars KoshN!

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Well, you not putting up the ads as banners isn't a big loss for SciFi anyway - after all, this whole site is a huge advertisement for their project. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, really! DUH! Why didn't I think of that?
crazy.gif

A "Rangers" banner here WOULD be silly and redundant, would it not?

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

Oh no. If they were paying, I'd have no right to bitch about SCIFI.com. And I wouldn't either, I'm fickle. But they just wanted to "use" me. And I didn't mind, to help the cause. That is until... well you know, all the stuff above. I only have so much tolerance. So I get paid for all the general ads I run, and the calendar ads are on per sale. So devoting my banner space to them would have been diverting from my banners, but I didn't honestly mind. I'm not awkward, that's the annoying thing. I was being nice to SCI FI, but SLAP.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not fickle. They're nuts! That they didn't offer to pay you, to at the very least make up for losses caused by substitution of their banner ad. in place of your current ad., is just beyond comprehension. Must be the accountants trying to see what they can get away with and get for FREE.

And thanks for buying those calendars KoshN!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No prob, glad to help. Soon, I'll be joining the Premium Membership. Just got to find a pic. I like. Trouble is, I've been doing Crusade pics (like the one I did for Sta, and have been wading through my Crusade tapes), and, well, I like that pic of Max. Got to go back and get a Kosh pic for myself. I have about 50 good pics of Gideon now, and I'm only through ACtA, RtN, TNoE, and partway through TMoW. There's so much good stuff here.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:

It seems to be aimed at the teen crowd, which would tend to alienate the older crowd a bit.

I wouldn't show that GIF to my adult friends and peers. If I did, I'd probably get the reaction "Aren't you a little old for a teen show?" (similar reaction I get when I tell people how good a show Buffy and Angel are, though those words are not voiced; it's the "looks" and
crazy.gif
it gets).

Hopefully there will be more serious, adult-oriented GIFs in the future.
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a thought, but perhaps the banner was intended to generate a humorous interest in non-B5 fans. I mean, I would click on it, just out of curiosity, because it's kind of weird to go from stealing lunch money to being a great evil.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to understand itself."
--Delenn, Babylon 5

Well a certain part of SCIFI.com has been treating B5LR.com with utter contempt. So IMHO that extends to me, you, and the actors who are taking the time to do such things as interviews and post here. So I'm not going to shake their left hand while their right hand punches me, so I've backed out of running their banners.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The mere fact that this site exists would put this statement in conflict. If you don't want to promote them then this entire site should not exist. Taking this kind of stance on a banner seems weird considering the focus of this web site.

I threw the banner up in my Black Sabbath site's banner rotation for no reason at all other than I wanted to alert more people to the existance of the show. http://www.black-sabbath.com

I find this remark of yours really odd, Antony.

------------------
Joe Siegler
Webmaster - 3D Realms

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Siegler:
The mere fact that this site exists would put this statement in conflict. If you don't want to promote them then this entire site should not exist. Taking this kind of stance on a banner seems weird considering the focus of this web site.

I find this remark of yours really odd, Antony.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you need to work out where my annoyance is directed, and what actions I'm taking.

Yes, all of this is SCI FI. So whatever I'm doing, I'm promoting their show. But my isue isn't with SCI FI as a whole. Also I'm promoting this show for the great work of the actors, JMS, Douglas Netter, Ron McLeod, Mike Vejar, GVFX, behind the scenes and EVERYONE involved with the telemovie. The site is also here for the fans. I really do want to do everyone justice.

However, it's a part of SCIFI.com (not even the whole site necessarily) that isn't playing for the team, and is letting everyone down. So I won't devote my ad inventory at a cost to this site, just to promote their website. And that's all the banners will do. They're not going to alert you to a B5 telemovie because that's why you're here. All it will do is bump up their visitor count, while UGO members get paid and I don't. It's taking advantage of my good nature and is not a partnership.

Money isn't everything. I was going to run these ads, I agreed. It's SCI FI Wire's attitude, and that alone, which has caused this.

I don't like being used.

So aside from that, I'm going to do the very best job I can in promoting this show and the people involved. That was my aim, that is my aim. And if I show up SCIFI.com in the process, all the better. I can do better, than that's what I have to prove.

------------------

Antony lives in Britain, so he is not a viewer of the Sci-Fi channel of the USA. Consequently, like me, he will *not* be seeing the movie in January.

If they wish to influence Antony, Sci-Fi has to use either money or charm. As they are not paying him money, Sci-Fi has to pay him by using extra charm.

It is a general rule of life that rudeness should be punished. Antony is currently punishing the Sci-Fi Company for their rudeness and insubordination by not running their banner. Since he included the banner in this thread, it is a smaller punishment than I would have given them.

To clear up this mess Sci-Fi will probably have to pay one of its high ranking managers to write a grovelling letter of apology. They may also have to pay for a token of repentance, such as a tee-shirt.

Remember POLITNESS MATTERS and costs nothing.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

It really is just too bad, isn't it? It probably is jealousy. What else would explain it? If they were afraid your site could become too amaturish for them, then they wouldn't be asking you to run anything for them, would they?

It's just idiocy. Goes to show you don't need to be a brain just to be an executive!

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndrewSwallow:
Antony lives in Britain, so he is not a viewer of the Sci-Fi channel of the USA. Consequently, like me, he will *not* be seeing the movie in January.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I seriously doubt that. He managed to get himself bits of the script before the movie entered production, so I seriously doubt he'll have problems getting his hands on a copy of the movie within a week of it airing. I know I certainly will.

------------------
"When I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you, ok?"
-- Ranma-chan, A Leotard is a Girl's Burden, Ranma 1/2

drakh@spamcop.net

OK, that makes a bit more sense and I understand your stance more, even if I still find it a little odd.

Either way, are there any more banners coming down the pike?

------------------
Joe Siegler
Webmaster - 3D Realms

Joe-

Most definitely will there be more banners.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

Andrew, true very true.
smile.gif

In regards to banners, yes, and I'll probably put the banners in a news item like this or something because as B5 fans, it's a point of interest. I just ain't putting it on my back and walking around advertising it.
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
Originally posted by AndrewSwallow:
... so I seriously doubt he'll have problems getting his hands on a copy of the movie within a week of it airing. I know I certainly will.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think I'm waiting for it to air?
laugh.gif
But if I do have to wait, I'm sure someone will be kind enough to send me a copy.

------------------

I'm sure Antony, in the UK, will see the durn thing before any of us in the US, and then create a thread to tease all the Americans about it. *joking grin*

Antony, this site is doing its share of promotion. After all, this is where you can find more news than on the official site. It's even been mentioned in print magazines...

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

You think I'm waiting for it to air?
laugh.gif
But if I do have to wait, I'm sure someone will be kind enough to send me a copy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That somebody would have to have PAL, right? An NTSC copy would do you no good.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

That would depend in what format you get the copy in (Enterprise can be found in .mpg or DivX format thus negating the PAL/NTSC problem).
laugh.gif

------------------
'I don't have a hat beuetuaufifal, only a graep. Give me a case for solving or give me dearth, or gets on a bus' - Detective Grape on ehad

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back