• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: JMS addresses 'late comics'

B5LR

Regular
News post: JMS addresses \'late comics\'

<font size="+1">JMS addresses 'late comics'</font>
<font size="3">With an overview of JMS's varied current projects</font>

After some delayed JMS comics recently, someone posted in the moderated newsgroup: "I was wondering if JMS has or will promise that future issues of any comic he writes will be on time."

This is JMS's reply below. It's worth a read to see his reaction, but it's also an interesting update and overview of all the projects he's involved with at the moment.

<font color="#99cc99">I was wondering if some readers will promise to understand that things happen that are outside anyone's control, and that I would rather have it out *good* than have it out *Tuesday*.

Sure, I could make that promise...and abide by it...and be unable to guarantee the quality of the work.

For most of the MN and RS run, I was the one chomping at the bit to get this thing out on time, despite delays by factors outside my control (as in an artist leaving at the eleventh hour without telling anyone he was going to do it, which put everything back). I have no control over that. The scripts up to that point were always there in advance. At one point the scripts were piled up 4 issues in advance of what was being drawn/published.

What hit after that was the hardest period of work in my life, something I hadn't counted on. It's not that I'm sitting on my ass getting the comics out when I feel like it...I'm shooting episode 10 of a 20 hour commitment on the single biggest TV series I've ever undertaken, bar none, in terms of logistics, planning, scripts and prep. On Jeremiah we're shooting out in rain and awful conditions 5-6 days out of each 7 day schedule (the norm for most series is 3 days out and 4 days in) all over the Vancouver area, combined with all the regular hassles of mounting a new series, and inventing a new world. There's not just the writing and the producing but the editing, the PR, the music and sound spotting, the casting...everything.

There's Rangers on top of that, the Rising Stars screenplay (which is finally finished and looks like it's heading into actual production for next year), the new Polaris project for Sci-Fi, Spider-Man, Midnight Nation, and Rising Stars.

I began those projects not anticipating that I would be in *this* deep shit. I could have pumped out the comics, but I didn't want to have inferior work come out under the Joe's Comics imprint. The TV work was time-critical because there's nearly $30 million invested in schedules, director's timetables, production deadlines, airdates that have to be met...I had to pick something that wasn't as time critical to push back.

The comics were the only thing that could get pushed. Now that we're up to speed on the series, with the RS screenplay finished, and past the midway point on scripts for Jeremiah, I've been able to turn my attention back to the comics, with a new MN coming out last week, the next RS finishing colors and lettering and probably out in the next week or so...the next MN script is already in and being drawn, and I'm working on both the next Spider-Man and RS issues as I speak. The Delicate Creatures hardcover graphic novel has been done for a while now, don't know why it isn't out yet.

It is my intention to get the comic scripts out as expeditiously as possible, and have all the scripts done quickly, once again getting well ahead of the artwork.

As for some of the folks you cite...I have little patience for people who demand in others a perfection they do not deliver in their own lives, and who do not understand that their needs for immediate gratification will not always be immediately gratified.

Better something should done right and a bit late than done poorly and on time.</font>

Re: News post: JMS addresses \'late comics\'

JMS wrote
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> (snip) the new Polaris project for Sci-Fi, (snip)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does anyone have any details of Polaris?

------------------
Andrew Swallow

Yes, I do wish Joe would learn to express his emotions better...
crazy.gif

Can't do to keep that all bottled up...
laugh.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Jeez! Nobody responded when I posted it on Thursday!
mad.gif

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
Jeez! Nobody responded when I posted it on Thursday!
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're gonna have a fit now?

Thanks for posting the item, B5O. Sorry you thought it was a waste of time unless we all jumped on the thread.

Ro

------------------

Poor Joe. He can't win. Having to take the time to answer an impatient fan only takes time from the many tasks he is undertaking. If he ignores the guy he'd get harrassed for that too I'd bet.
I had to smile at his comments about working in Vancouver in the rain. It was so bad here it was causing mudslides and producing lakes on the main roads. Even the Ducks and Geese were protesting!! I was getting ready to build an Ark!
crazy.gif

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> So you're gonna have a fit now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just kidding. Building on my reputation as a thread-killer.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Technomage Roanna:
Yes, I do wish Joe would learn to express his emotions better...
crazy.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno ... I personally like it when JMS shows his emotions. It reminds me that he is just like the rest of us.
smile.gif

Besides, I think he said what needed to be said. There are quite a few people out there frustrated with the delays of his comics. Some just don't understand everything that is on JMS' plate and others simply just don't care.

In fact, a few times, I have to remind myself to step back and take a look at the big picture.
wink.gif
Heh, next time I drop by the comic shop I will ask if there are a lot of people fed up with Joe's Comics and if so I will provide them with a printout of his USENET posting. >:) (supposed to be an evil grin but the auto smiley function screwed it up)

------------------
Monica Hübinette | monica.hubbe.net | The Abyss : B5
"Ah, you seek meaning?" -- "Yes." -- Then listen to the music, not the song. --Ambassador Kosh & Talia Winters

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited December 23, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
I'm just kidding. Building on my reputation as a thread-killer.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feh, you're a piker compared to me.
lol.gif

cool.gif
Ro

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
I dunno ... I personally like it when JMS shows his emotions. It reminds me that he is just like the rest of us.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My turn, I guess.
blush.gif

I was just kidding, Lyta.
smile.gif

Mmm, perhaps I should start italicizing ironic comments in my posts...

Ro

------------------

Oh, no problem! I always seem to misinterpret the rolleyes smiley ... I usually think of someone being exasperated or condescending or something when they use it.

Plus, it doesn't help that I am not used to the new look of these ones.
wink.gif

*just finished 3 full days of holiday baking and is exhausted*

------------------
Monica Hübinette | monica.hubbe.net | The Abyss : B5
"Ah, you seek meaning?" -- "Yes." -- Then listen to the music, not the song. --Ambassador Kosh & Talia Winters

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back