• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: B5 series on DVD is go!

Yesterday turned out to be a great day!

------------------
"Get out of my way, or by God I'll shove you out the airlock!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>...with not all that much RAM or processing power...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that's likely why the DVDs don't look as good on your computer. Unless you have a hardware DVD decoder card, playback is controlled by software that uses the main system memory and the processor to do its job. If you're pushing both you'll end up with dropped frames, incomplete rendering, motion artifacts, you name it. Sometimes even the sound will be out of sync.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Well I will be looking forward to the DVDs, though I hope they come out as box sets. I prefer to collect all at once, rather than get 2 or 3 epsidoes a month.

------------------

Yes, hopefully this is true and hopefully B5 will be released in a Season I box set format....

--------------------------------------
"If you want to make us stronger, attack and we unite."
Adam Mayblum, WTC Survivor

------------------
"Faith Manages"

Yeaaaaa! I can't wait to get the rest of the B5 eps on DVD! I hope it comes in boxed sets, or at the very least in a subscription form like the tapes from CH. I didn't buy the CH tapes...a friend said he subscribed, but got shafted; not all the tapes showed up. And, other sources dried up for new releases. Anyone have info about this?

------------------

Well, I'm hopeful. If it happens I'll be jumping around insanely. If not, that's all right too. In any case, I hope it will eventually be released, it certainly has the fanbase for it.

------------------
"There's always hope, because it's the one thing nobody's figured out how to kill yet." - Galen

I'm pleased but wary. I'm also awaiting the first complaint about there being no mention of special features
crazy.gif

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

What?!

No special features mentioned?! We demand special features! We will not accept Box Sets without at least one disc filled with special features!
wink.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>We will not accept Box Sets without at least one disc filled with special features!
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, no one mentioned "boxed sets", either.
laugh.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Well, no one mentioned "boxed sets", either.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, yes, but you see -- if we are to have many discs filled with an undisclosed but large amount of extras, we must have boxed sets! We would not accept anything less.

------------------

You see these tears? these are real tears man! There will be much rejoicing and maxing out of credit cards in december! or in my case a couple of months later seeing as it takes a while for the stuff to become available down here!

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

I'm just waiting for "the best of" box sets such as the best of vir or best of kosh. I don't want some box that goes by season, that wouldn't make any sense at all.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't want some box that goes by season, that wouldn't make any sense at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The story goes season-by-season.

This is why I absolutely, definitely, completely want it to be published season-by-season. With a continuous story line, any other way would be foolish. Using "best of" sets would be incredibly harmful.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 21, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>You see these tears? these are real tears man! There will be much rejoicing and maxing out of credit cards in december! or in my case a couple of months later seeing as it takes a while for the stuff to become available down here!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, Antony was talking about the release of the first disc, last December. He hasn't even hinted at a release date for the episodes yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm just waiting for "the best of" box sets such as the best of vir or best of kosh. I don't want some box that goes by season, that wouldn't make any sense at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

smile.gif

LOL!

Joe
(who got the joke.
laugh.gif
)

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jnk5y:
I'm just waiting for "the best of" box sets such as the best of vir or best of kosh. I don't want some box that goes by season, that wouldn't make any sense at all.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best of Zack Allen. All 70 minutes of his screen time edited together on one disk.

If your DVD looks bad on your computer, Blame Micro$oft and their incredibly bloated OS that consumes 95% of the computer's resources just getting the icons drawn on the main screen.

You can even occasionally SEE some of the stupidity happening.

One that I noticed all the time while I still had Windoze running was in the Menus.
Open a window and click on the first menu (File).
If you watch closely, you may notice that TWO Menus get drawn in most Windoze.
The first has only 5 or 6 choices. Almost immediately, another drops down on top of the first.
The "real" one with all the options.

This first or "phantom" menu is actually the Old menu left over from an earlier incarnation of Windoze.
The code for drawing it is not only still there, it still gets Executed.
Even though the New code/menu is what controls the program.

I can make a couple guesses WHY.

A. Pure "who gives a shit" attitude on the part of M$ programmers. Marketing may even Like the fact that all the wasted code is in there. After all, marketing thinks the bigger the OS is, the easier it is to justify the price.

B. M$ programmers know it's there but they couldn't get rid of it because taking it OUT "Breaks" something and they don't know Why or how to fix it. And M$ isn't willing to spend the money to Find the problem.

Personally, I believe B is the correct answer.
Crappy software, crappily maintained and crappily documented.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>One that I noticed all the time while I still had Windoze running was in the Menus. Open a window and click on the first menu (File). If you watch closely, you may notice that TWO Menus get drawn in most Windoze.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Windows (pardon me if I don't follow your childish misspelling) has an option that allows you to either list all the menu choices or just the most recently used ones (which produces shorter, faster loading menus.) Short menus are the default. The long ones don't appear unless you run the cursor over a little arrow that appears at the bottom of the menu list.

This option only works with MS applications, as far as I know. I suppose that it is possible, if you're running a slow enough machine, that the short menu could appear first and then "adjust" itself. But only in the early implementation of this feature. It certainly doesn't happen on my Win2000 machine, and it didn't on my Win98 box. I had "full menus" set as the default on both. Of course, it is also possible that you had the default "short" menus selected, and didn't realize that the "full" menus didn't appear until you moved the mouse. In other words, "it's not a bug, it's a feature."
smile.gif

I'll leave your elaborate conspiracy theories for those better versed in The X-Files than I am, and for any Oliver Stone fans in the house.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Would B5 extras really be that costly to add?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Much of the material that would go into such supplements either belongs to other people or would have to be created from scratch. For instance, while B5 itself is the property of Warner Bros., the "behind the scenes" documentaries shot for The Sci-Fi Channel, TNT and the unaired Sci-Fi SciOgraphy segment on the show belong to the network that shot them, not to WB.

If they want new on camera interviews they have to pay a director and camera crew to conduct them, editors to cut them together, and possibly some of the participants for their time. (SAG is pushing hard to have actors compensated for this kind of work, and Arnold S. just signed a huge, precendent setting deal to record a commentary track for one of his films.)

Audio commentary tracks require screening room time and a recording engineer, as well as DVD mastering time and, again, possible payments to the participants.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The BBC manage to stick loads of great extras on the Dr Who DVD's <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But BBC presumably made any Who documentaries itself, and therefore owns them already. And American union rules simply do not allow for people to do exta work for nothing. Aside from salaried studio personnel who might be assigned to a project, everybody who works on it would get paid. (From an accounting standpoint, even the salaried employees' time would be charged to the B5 DVDs, so it would affect the break-even point for the set. Those people could have been assigned to other work, so it becomes important to track which projects incurred which expenses.)

Finally, Warner Home Video is a separate corporate entity than Warner Bros. Television. So their costs, including extras mastering, menu creation, producing the supplements, all have to be caculated separately. BBC Home Video is probably a department within the parent company, and costs are calculated differently.

I wouldn't count on any bloopers, by the way. Aside from one or two that were released to the Dick Clark Bloopers TV show, they aren't really under Warner Bros. control, either. The actual, edited bloopers, with the associated music tracks, were produced each season for the private amusement of the cast and crew. And nearly all of them would have to be paid for their use, per union rules.

They have been exhibited "privately" at conventions as a kind of treat for the fans. But WB doesn't own them in their finished form. They would have to get all of the participants to agree to their release, an according to JMS several actors have already vetoed the idea. In addition, WB would have to pay for the rights to the music used on them, which would be very expensive.

Finally, most of the copies floating around out there have been dubbed multiple times, or played to death, or both (from what I hear) and are not in very good shape. I'm not sure a version survives that could be used on DVD, where the increased resolution and better sound tend to magnify flaws in the source material.

Warner Bros. probably could, if the original footage still survives, edit a brand new version of the bloopers, but they'd probably still have to pay the actors for using it. Also I tend to doubt that the same studio that lost all the ship, planet and background CGI files from the series, and let water and rats get to the original negative of The Gathering has managed to preserve the blooper footage all these years.

Sorry, but this is one extra that I don't think is going to happen.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back