• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: Another B5 DVD review online

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">Another B5 DVD review online</font>
<font size="3">DVDFILE.com offers its views on the B5 DVD release</font>

Over at DVDFILE.com a review has been posted of the Babylon 5 DVD> containing the telemovies "The Gathering" and "In the Beginning."

In the background material of the article, the details can be quite incorrect about Babylon 5. Errors include saying Babylon 5 was canceled after its third and fourth seasons, when in fact it was the collpase of PTEN that caused the show to nearly end early. However, as a relativly new B5 fan myself, I can't comment on all the details. Someone like Joe DeMartino at B5LR.com's messageboard can give a better appraisal, I'm sure.

However, the bods at DVDFILE.com know their DVDs of course, and this is where the strength of the review lies. Reviewer Dan Linzmeier gives it rather lukewarm review at best, but probably deservedly so. He gives a fair weigh in on the various elements of the DVD, from the menus to the extras (or lack thereof).

You can read the review by clicking here.

Thanks to Christian.

mad.gif

Pathetic review.......

Yes, Im sure the DVD is not that great and lacks many essentials such as extras. HOWEVER, the errors he made degrade the series, and this review, posted on the 11th of December, should have been taken down by now.

Truly pathetic on their part. I dont need to say more.

------------------
It has been my observation that if someone cannot say what they mean, they can truly never mean what they say.

I've still not bought this, meaning I still haven't breached the net barrier fully, but I plan to soon, and regardless of any bad reviews. I plan to buy it as soon as it hits stores around here, since I really can't buy it online. I don't know, but there is something deep down inside of me that is stopping me from doing so. People tell me that it's okay, that I have no idea how secure these sites are, but I do have an idea. I have a friend that is a cracker, and I've seen him do things, that, well, scare me. And he's taught me a few things to. Now he's nowhere near the best, and I'm not even a cracker, so considering what someone as inexperienced like us can do, can you even begin to imagine what a pro can do?
Again, I'd rather stick to the stores where I can get some apparent safety (I say apparent, since the store network can be hacked just as easily) and stay off the net for now.

Your all probably wondering what this has to do with this? Well, it does, I'm gonna buy it, regardless of the reviews, but not yet, and it's not because of anything I've heard to be wrong with the DVD, but personal reasons only.

------------------
My name: Solaris5....
My mission: to burst the bubble of idiocy that has enveloped everyone and bring common sense back from beyond the rim.

In reply to Solaris:

How to build a secure online store?

1. Use reliable hardware and software.

2. Keep only recent data in machines connected via potentially insecure ways. Transfer all inactive data to a high-security or completely offline location. If the time required for keeping them is over, delete them.

3. Hire a computer security expert and pay him or her decently. In addition, offer hackers a reward for successfully breaching your security and informing you of the vulnerability. The latter is a truly Shadow apporach and very efficient.

How to use a credit card safely?

1. Trust only widely known and respectable sites.

2. Keep your card limit as low as possible.

3. If possible, use virtual cards with custom limits and a short expiry time. Even if the database is compromised, your card has most likely expired. If not, your limit is already full. The attacker will get the difference between what you bought and the limit - hopefully enough to buy a sandwitch. This too is a truly Shadow apporach and very efficient.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited December 25, 2001).]

I sent the reviewer an e-mail a day or two after the review first appeared, pointing out the numerous factual errors, and even got a reply. But you'll notice nothing has been corrected. Par for the course.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

So JoeD, what errors were there? I thought I found a few, but didn't say them in case I was wrong. I have been a fan for less than a year...

But I thought things that were wrong were: it having "controversy throughout its entire run", being axed once, being axed twice, the legal action, TNT saved it for the fourth season... anything else?

------------------
Lucky that my lips not only mumble
They spill kisses like a fountain
Lucky that my breasts are small and humble
So you don't confuse them with mountains
--the bizarre lyrics of Shakira

[This message has been edited by AntonyF (edited December 25, 2001).]

Well, here's my e-mail:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>There are so many things wrong with the introduction to the review it is hard to know where to start.

1) The series didn't premier in 1993. The pilot aired then, a week or so after the "DS9" pilot. The series didn't arrive until 1994. There were no lawsuits.

Straczynski *considered* suing Paramount (he had pitched "B5" to then several years earlier, long before "DS9" was conceived, and they had a draft of the pilot script - several elements of which resembled things in "DS9", though some had been dropped from "B5" by the time the pilot was filmed.) He decided that the net result would be to get both shows delayed, and that it simply wasn't worth it.

2) The show was not "cancelled" after year three, there was no heated letter-writing campaign, and the show did not move to TNT in year four. The show aired on the "Prime Time Entertainment Network" - a hybrid syndication proto-network that Warner Bros. owned a piece of. "B5" was one of several series the studio produced for PTEN. By the beginning of S4 all the other shows had been cancelled, and PTEN was due to fold at the end of the year.

Stracyznski had planned for this contingency, and was prepared to wrap up the show in year 4, ending some plot threads, skipping others, and setting the series finale 20 years in the future so that we could see how everything turned out.

Late in S3 or early in S4 TNT made a deal to acquire rights to the reruns once the series was out of production, and to produce two original TV movies (NOT "episodes") to air with them. ("In the Beginning" and "Thirdspace.") They also put up the money to re-edit "The Gathering" into something closer to Straczynski's original script. (PTEN had forced him to rewrite it with a 9 act structure to fit in more commercials, and the director had dumped about 14 minutes of character and dialogue scenes in favor of pretty camera angles and SFX scenes that didn't quite work.)

3) After S4 finished shooting the crew went right back to work, filming the TV movies. It was only at *that* point, when they saw the footage from the movies, that TNT got interested in picking the show up for its fifth and final season. (Again, no letter writing campaign.) The deal was struck, almost literally at the eleventh hour, and S5 was set.

4) It's "Straczynski" <g>

As for the rest of the review:

"The Gathering" is of uneven quality because the original film elements were *not* properly stored. When they went back to do the re-edit they were severely limited in their choices because the negatives were water-damaged and had been gnawed by rats. They did the best they could. I suspect many
of the problems you noted go back to the source material. The Chris Franke score is new, so it isn't surprising that it sound better than the rest of the mix. The original cut had a score by Stewart Copeland, but he was not available to do the series. Since the re-edit included scenes that had never been scored (they were cut before the print was locked), while others
were rearranged or re-edited with different footage, a new score was mandatory.

The VHS sales tanked after WHV executive Mike Finnegan told Jeff McNeal of "The Big Picture" that "B5" *was* coming to DVD in 1999. Finnegan's statement was widely quoted on "B5" and HT fan sites, and the drop off in VHS sales followed almost immediately. They've never acknowledged this, but it is a matter of public record. The interview is still archived on TBP.

Not only did WHV never promise a widescreen release on laserdisc, they told Garret Lee of Image Entertainment that there *was* no widescreen version. They said any PAL widescreen masters were simply matted to 1.77:1. (Evidently they never bothered to check. They also never told JMS about
their licensing deal with Image. He found out about the laserdiscs when a fan posted a note about them on Compuserve.)

The contents of this disc are two stand-alone TV movies - not "episodes". "In the Beginning" was designed by JMS specifically* as a way to introduce new fans to the show, and to suggest the epic scope of the project (through the framing story.) Your review is curiously inconsistent: You complain
that "ItB" reveals the answers to mysteries, then complain that it raises questions in the mind of the viewer that it doesn't answer.

There are two ways to handle suspense: 1) You keep both the audience and the characters guessing. 2) You clue the audience in, but leave the characters in the dark. In its first run "B5" (and especially S1) played out like a mystery, using method 1. But on repeated viewings it works using
method 2. Watching "ItB" first merely puts the audience in the "superior position" and makes viewing S1 a different experience. It only "spoils" it if you treat the show as a mystery series like "Murder She Wrote" (which JMS also wrote for and later produced.)

Besides, what were WHV's other choices in introducing the series? Release *just* "The Gathering"? It is plot-heavy because (unlike the "DS9" pilot) it had to introduce a whole new universe, all the aliens, the station itself, and almost a dozen characters who were planned as regulars or recurring roles. Numerous changes were made to the show in the year between the broadcast of the pilot and the premier of the series - including almost the entire regular cast, several plot points, the weapons, costumes and makeup. As things turned out, "The Gathering" is actually a pretty lousy indicator of what *the series* is like.

"In the Beginning", written and produced as a stand-alone movie when no one expected there to *be* a season 5 - and therefore hardly a rushed "introductory episode" - uses the series regulars and the series makeup. It is a better film over-all, and a better indication of what the *series* is all about.

Including both on the same disc (for the U.S. market, where the show hasn't done well on home video) is actually a pretty smart move on WHV's part. In effect we're getting the second movie for free.

> Warner has put together this first "set" of Babylon 5 episodes <

NO, they *haven't* They have released two TV movies on one double-feature disc to find out if there is really an audience for the show on DVD. They did it as a barebones release to limit their downside risk. This is, in fact, exactly what I *suggested* they do in a letter to Mike Finnegan back in 1997 or 98. I've been lobbying WHV to release this series on DVD longer than anybody I know, and - all things considered - I'm pleased with this release.

(Also I have to say that on *my* system, "ItB" sounds better on DVD than it
does on LD. The bass is better and the dialogue less "flat" than the LD.
Your mileage may vary.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And an excerpt from his reply:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Yes damnit, I know eactly who you are. ;-)

Look, cut me some slack, I would be considered a casual B5 fan, so some of
the facts were mucked up, I'll admit it. We would have given the disc to someone else in our review staff, but it seems I'm the only one with any interest in the series.

I probably mixed up the letter writing campaign with Crusade, which I think was a series [that] TNT and WB cut short a year or so ago.

About the tanking of the VHS sales:

"They've never acknowledged this, but it is a matter of public record."

Public record? According to who, Babylon 5 fans on the internet? That is not
public record. Besides, B5's original release sales were most likely damaged
by the release pattern. Want some proof, check out the falling sales of South
Park since Warner started releasing them as "best of" set.

[J.D. NOTE: WHV did not, of course, release B5 as a "best of" set, but in order within each season - though the seasons themselves were out of order to get S5 released early for fans who'd missed it. So this comparison is worthless. And sales of the VHS tapes were evidently good for the first six months or so, since they weren't cancelled immediately.]

"Not only did WHV never promise a widescreen release on laserdisc, they told Garret Lee of Image Entertainment that there *was* no widescreen version."

I knew one of the production co-ordinators at Image at the time, and he knew damn well there were widescreen versions of the show in existence. Warner even talked to Image about it, plain and simple, Garret was covering his ass. I've meet many people at Image Entertainment, and let me say his first impresion wasn't too good. He's nothing more than thier marketing head, and
we all know what good marketing and PR people are.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(The rest of the e-mail dealt with specifics of the wisdom of releasing the two films chosen.)

I acknowledged not knowing anything about the Image situation beyond what I'd heard from Garret Lee, so I stand corrected on that one. But this bit annoyed me:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>> Public record? According to who, Babylon 5 fans on the internet? <

No, according to an *on-the-record* interview with a DVD website/e-zine. The Big Picture interviewed Mike Finnegan and another Warner Bros. exec for an article they knew was going to be published on the 'net. When Finnegan was asked if "B5" was on the schedule he said, "Yes" When asked if it would be widescreen, he said "To be determined." There was nothing ambiguous about the questions or the answers and, as I noted, they are still archived on The Big Picture site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is somethig of a rivalry between the major DVD websites, but here the critic from The DVD File is acting as if he's never heard of The Big Picture - an older and better established site. Which is a little strange to say the least.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Hey sales are still good at amazon: 101. Off Topic: Does anybody know a good Screenshot program that will work with WB's InterActual Player? Im trying to get a screenshot of Minbar that thats not working.

------------------
Webmaster for B5:A2
Babylon 5: Armada II
A MOD for Star Trek: Armada II
http://www.tgu.org.uk/users/babylon5/

Very interesting stuff Joe, thanks. I knew you'd fill us in.
smile.gif
I'm still sketchy, but realized so much seemed to be up.

I don't think being a casual fan is an excuse, in his case. If you're reviewing for a website you do your homework. You don't make assumptions, or post things followed by "I think" statements.

------------------
Lucky that my lips not only mumble
They spill kisses like a fountain
Lucky that my breasts are small and humble
So you don't confuse them with mountains
--the bizarre lyrics of Shakira

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Look, cut me some slack, I would be considered a casual B5 fan, so some of
the facts were mucked up <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Four words:

Do your f***ing homework!
mad.gif

What a pompous ass. Whatever gets written in a forum from a perceived expert is usually taken as fact by those who are less informed on the subject. If this guy wants to wing facts off the top of his head then the statement listed should've prefaced his review. But no, he types up his list of innacuracies with self-assurance and leaves it to Joe to correct him.

If DVD features are his forte, then he should either restrict his commentary to that area or do the extra work to get his facts right.

Grade: F.
Do it over and hand it in by Monday.

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
If you're reviewing for a website you do your homework. You don't make assumptions, or post things followed by "I think" statements.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, and this is what Dan Linzmeier didn't do.
mad.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by solaris5:
I've still not bought this, meaning I still haven't breached the net barrier fully, but I plan to soon, and regardless of any bad reviews. I plan to buy it as soon as it hits stores around here, since I really can't buy it online. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Solaris, many sites offer a toll-free number to call to make payment if that is preferred.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

I don't even see what the big deal is with these reviews. For the most part, B5 fans (with DVD players, of course) will buy the DVD, other won't.

Hypothetically, you could have a fantabulous DVD with crystal clear perfect transfer, extras galore, DTS 5.1 sound, and a free box of laundry detergent; people who don't know about or don't like the show won't buy it.

People who are interested in purchasing will. The South Park DVDs sell, even though people complain about the way they are packaged.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I bought the B5 DVD, & I guess I can live with it being bare-bones. But you should see the DVD version of the recent film Moulin Rouge! My sister loves that movie, so I got the DVD for her as a Christmas present. The packaging is very good, & the DVDs (there are two of them) are just loaded with extras. A CD-sampler of music from the film is also included. I was *very* impressed, & so was she, to say the least! She has all ready watched almost everything the two DVDs have to offer!

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

I plan to buy the DVD as soon as I get a DVD player some time in January. I have both movies on tape so it's mainly to give support to the series.

The problem with a bad review on a well known website is that it can be read by thousands of viewers and they will never see the rebuttal.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
I plan to buy the DVD as soon as I get a DVD player some time in January. I have both movies on tape so it's mainly to give support to the series.

The problem with a bad review on a well known website is that it can be read by thousands of viewers and they will never see the rebuttal.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jomar et al,
I have the whole series on tape, but just finished watching my X-mas present DVD for the second time and let me enourage anyone who has the means to get a copy or three on DVD. And not just for the "help support the series" reason.

The quality of sound and image is dramatically superior to whatever VHS tapes you might be watching. So much so I found myself for the first time in a long time actaully forgetting that I knew what was coming. The sights and sounds became what they were intended to be: the medium for transmitting a great experience. Maybe it was just the joy of having a copy I'm confident will last a long time; maybe it was that I was no longer having to devote a few precious brain cells to compensating for those spots where the VHS sound or picture was inadequite or disappointing; whatever the reason, the DVD is awesome and no matter what online reviewer churns out I am sure you'll love and yearn for the whole series to get to this format....

------------------
-Devin Barber

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back