• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New SFC promo mentions RANGERS

I saw an ad on the SciFi Channel about 20 minutes ago that seemed to be promoting the SFC in general, briefly flipping through all of the original programming that they'll have for the next six months or so. They mentioned the Rangers TV movie, and there was about 1 second of footage from said movie. I think there was a shot of Sarah, and another shot of Na'Feel. Keep an eye out for this ad.

------------------

That is very intersting news! After all this talk about "Legend of the Rangers" not getting enough publicity...and then, all of a sudden, there is this short (1 sec.) blurb about "Rangers" coming to the Sci Fi Channel sometime in the next 6 months! Great to hear! I am glad for that! I really believe that something very strange is going to happen and shock everyone, like, all of a sudden, the Sci Fi Channel is going to greenlight the project to series! I betcha that is what is going to happen contrary to everything that has been mentioned! Something fishy is going on...

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> During Farscape or Chronicle? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, because I wasn't really watching SFC at the time. I had been watching a video tape. When I was done, I rewound the tape, and the TV happenned to be on SFC, and I saw the ad. It was at about 10:45pm US Eastern time.

------------------

ya, I saw it to
laugh.gif

------------------
"I am the state"
Napoleon

Yeah, I noticed the clips from Crusade as well... Specifically the Excalibur. It seemed very odd that they would show these clips while promoting the new Rangers show...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The shots of the Excalibur appear to be from angles I've never seen before. Maybe this was left-over test footage, or maybe this is one of the continuity problems that has been referred to on the board. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That second option is an interesting idea. If, say, the Valen, is the same class starship as the Excalibur, then it would explain why Slade said that it makes more sense for TLaDiS to take place a few years after the start of Crusade, since the Excalibur and its counterpart (destroyed in ACtA) were the only ships of that kind in 2267.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>since the Excalibur and its counterpart (destroyed in ACtA) were the only ships of that kind in 2267.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or so we think.
smile.gif

Excalibur and Victory are being built at an Earth Alliance shipyard. There is much talk about how they had to reverse-engineer Minbari and Vorlon technology to make them work. (Which always struck me as odd - if these are IA ships, why didn't the Minbari just give them the technology?)

The only thing I've been able to figure out that makes any sense at all is that these destroyers are a joint EA-IA project. Earthforce will presumably get to build their own ships of this class once they're out of the prototype stage, and Earth is footing the bill. (Don't forget, the cost of the new construction was a major sticking point with the Minbari, who had paid for the development and construction of the White Stars all by themselves, and were still recovering from a civil war when Sheridan proposed the new destroyer class.)

The Minbari are willing to share some technology directly with the other members of the IA (like gravitic drives and artificial gravity) but presumably want to keep other things secret. (In order to maintain both the Minbari and IA government's technological edge. The IA, after all, may have to intervene if its members get out of line and fight among themselves, and they wouldn't want to have to face their own latest weapons in such a case.)

So what if the basic design of the Victory-class ships and a few key components were given to the EA, but the Minbari withheld the underlying technology and other components that would have given the EA too much power if reverse-engineered by the Humans? Since the Minbari don't have to reverse-engineer anything, having been given some technology by the Vorlons, they could be building ships similar to Victory much sooner than the Humans could.

(And the defection of the Centauri from the Alliance, coupled with fighting that brings on, could be enough to loosen the Minbari purse-strings.)

So it is possible that ships very much like the Victory could be in the IA inventory as early as 2265, even though the first EA version won't be launched (and won't have contact with the Drakh) until nearly two years later.

Even if the footage is from Rangers it may not be quite the mistake that we, and Slade, are all assuming.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Quiet strange. If I could just see jms, I would know all. Besides, he created me anyways.
wink.gif

------------------
There goal is to create the peace. My goal, is to destory that peace. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Quiet strange. If I could just see jms, I would know all. Besides, he created me anyways. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never a good teep when you need one.
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
crazy.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know exactly how to take that.

Something tells me that these inconsistencies aren't as big as people are making them be. I mean, it's possible, with his workload and all, but still, with much of the universe figured out you'd think that there would be little to no errors.

Still, it's possible. But then again, this is the grand poobah we're talking about here. Not much gets past him. But on that same token, nobody's perfect.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

The Minbari-Vorlon tech
The Earth alliance-Shadow tech
ummmmmm.......I think I smell an arms race
smile.gif

(or, that might be my soup that cought on fire)
shocked.gif

------------------
"I am the state"
Napoleon

JMS has commented on what was in the promo:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>As for the CtA CGI... that has nothing to do with Rangers. SFC wanted some CGI to run with the promos, and since we're only just now getting in final CGI, they grabbed what they had on hand. - jms (posted with permission)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Hey Joe...Where is the JMS news or message board that you found that quote from Joe Straczynski!?!!?
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
I would like to visit it...Thanks Joe! The other one that is...
smile.gif

------------------

I dunno if this is where Joe got his info from, but JMS News. Pretty cool site if you don't want to bother with a newsgroup.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shok'Na:
Hey Joe...Where is the JMS news or message board that you found that quote from Joe Straczynski!?!!?
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
I would like to visit it...Thanks Joe! The other one that is...
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think its:
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated and its address is: http://www.mailgate.org/rec/rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated/

I haven't figured out how to turn off the html commands, or whatever, so I can't post to it, but I see Joe posting there all of the time. It is almost certainly one of his sources.
cool.gif

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited July 15, 2001).]

JMS usually posts public messages to the rec.arts.sf.tv.moderated newsgroup. Very rarely he might post to the Compuserve "Straczynski's Works" section of the SF Media Forum. (Haven't seen anything from him there in a couple of months.) All these public posts are archived (usually within 24 hours) at www.JMSNews.com JMSNews only archives JMS's posts and replies, not any of the messages he is replying to.

However, you won't find the information quoted above in any of those places.
wink.gif
It came through other channels.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

He he he, Joe is a SNEAKY ONE!!!
tongue.gif

I just barely beat you posting the site address, too, Joe.

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

Back