• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New Rangers Interview

Thank you Tammy for the heads up! I am eatting all this stuff up.
smile.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
"Ah, you seek meaning?" ~ "Yes." ~ "Then listen to the music, not the song." —Ambassador Kosh & Talia Winters

It's a nice, small interview, and doesn't tell me much that I don't know already (which means one of two things: a) I'm far too obsessed with Rangers news, or b) I'm far to obsessed with Rangers news.

Hmm.
smile.gif

But, then, any coverage just rocks. Keep the coverage comin'.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

Ah fun little interview.

One thing I noticed in the interview with Dylan was what he said about David Martel.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Anyway he said that David Martel has wanted to be a ranger his whole life ever sinse he was a little kid... I was just wonder how would he know about the Rangers when he was a little kid? </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I don't understand why David Martel would not have heard about the Rangers. They may have been mainly in covert operations but they certainly weren't unknown on Earth.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

It's a timeline thing that makes it tricky. It depends on David's age and how old he means by "boy"-- teenager is more likely than 8 yr old.

The Rangers weren't known to Sheridan before Delenn revealed their presence, and he'd be a lot more likely to know than a kid on either Earth or it's colonies in most circumstances. (And therein lies the Straczynskian rub.
wink.gif
)

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

The Rangers were unknown to Sheridan and Garibaldi until Delenn and Sinclair, respectively, let them know of their existence. So, they could not have been very well known on Earth. Obviously there had to be some knowledge, as there were Human Rangers, but Martel must have had some type of inside information when he was young. I find it hard to believe that much if anything was known about the Rangers by Humans, given the hard feelings between both Humans and Minbari after the war. I didn't think the Rangers became too well known on Earth until after Clark died.

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

I noticed that as well. Five or six years is not enough time for Martel to have grown up.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Two options:

1) His parents were extremely important;
2) He felt called to something all of his life, maybe realized it was the Rangers once he heard about their existence...

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

I was wondering about that as well. Martel may be young but not that young, not if he's in command of his own ship - he'd have to be in his mid-twenties AT LEAST (late twenties would sound even more likely).

So the earliest he as an average human could have heard about the Rangers was around... what? 2259, 2260? That would make him at least around 20 years old, hardly a little kid any more.
lol.gif

I suppose that the most likely explanation would be that ever since he was a little kid, he dreamed of joining some sort of intergalactic force, a military group that would also be more spiritual than average soldiers, someone who would be prepared to fight and die for high ideals.

And then he finally heard about Rangers and realised that this was it.
laugh.gif

Well, at least that's my explanation, since otherwise he'd have had to have parents in very high positions during the Earth-Minbari war, to find out about a Minbari organisation that wasn't even held in high regard at that time.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Trying to remember dialogue...

I think David said he's been a fan of mystery, these sorts of organizations since a kid etc. Anything with a history. Then as soon as he knew about the Rangers, he wanted in. So could be a bit of an error there, or misunderstanding. But hey, I'm not going to say that about Dylan talking about his character.
laugh.gif

------------------
My candle burns at both its ends,
It will not last the night.
But oh my foes, and oh my friends,
It makes a lovely light.

Well not many humans if any(beside's garibaldi and actual human rangers) knew about the rangers before Sheridan let it be known.

Spoiler about early human rangers, info from the book to Dream in the city of sorrows.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> From what I remember the first human rangers only found out about the rangers by chance. They went to Minbari for different reasons where Sinclair was Ranger one and also Ambassador, Sinclair for his job had to interview each human that went to Minbar. From those humans he met he recruited the first human rangers. </font></td></tr></table>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
Trying to remember dialogue...

I think David said he's been a fan of mystery, these sorts of organizations since a kid etc. Anything with a history. Then as soon as he knew about the Rangers, he wanted in. So could be a bit of an error there, or misunderstanding.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah this be making more sense if it is along these lines.

Bah timelines heh

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited January 08, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
Trying to remember dialogue... I think David said he's been a fan of mystery, these sorts of organizations since a kid etc. Anything with a history. Then as soon as he knew about the Rangers, he wanted in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds very plausible.

And very Sheridanesque.

I'd swallow that if it was told to me on the television (as it will be on the nineteenth), as I know people like that.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back