• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New George R R Martin book...

Looks like he finally got himself into gear...

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=31113

Martin Finishes Crows. Sort Of.

SF author George R.R. Martin said on his Web site that he has completed A Feast for Crows, the fourth installment of his A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series, but added that it didn't turn out quite as he originally intended. A Feast for Crows is due to be released July 26, according to Amazon.com.

The first three books in the series, A Game of Thrones (1996), A Clash of Kings (1999) and A Storm of Swords (2000) are between 700 and 992 pages. A Feast for Crows ran 1,521 pages in manuscript form, Martin said, and several publishers as a result released these novels in as many as three volumes. The U.S. publisher, Bantam, published each as one novel, but Martin said there was difficulty. "And that's why my publishers and I, after much discussion and weighing of alternatives, have decided to split the narrative into two books," Martin said. He added he did not want to make significant edits for fear of compromising the story.

Rather, Martin decided—and he stressed on his site that this was his idea—to turn A Feast for Crows into two separate novels. The first one will retain the title and focus on Westeros, King's Landing, the Riverlands, Dorne and the Iron Islands. The second half will be calledA Dance With Dragons and will focus on events in the east and north. Martin reports that book is half-complete.

At first, A Feast for Crows was to be two books—parts one and two—with the first part ending halfway through the original manuscript. Martin shot that down. "We were better off telling all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters," he said. "Cutting the novel in half would have produced two half-novels; our approach will produce two novels taking place simultaneously, but set hundreds or even thousands of miles apart, and involving different casts of characters [with some overlap]."

A Song of Ice and Fire imagines a feudal kingdom where dragons once lived, but where magic is now dwindling. The seasons can be long or short, bringing glorious summers or terrible winters that last years at a time. Seven kingdoms are ruled by the one who sits in a massive iron throne, and real and false knights vie for what they want. The series is full of graphic sex, language and violence. Martin won the Ignotius Award (Best Foreign Novel) for A Game of Thrones in 2002. A Clash of Kings was nominated for a Nebula in 1999, and A Storm of Swords won the SF Site's Reader's Choice as the best book of 2000.

I'm chomping at the bit to find out what happens next, but not sure how his changes to the structure will affect things. he's been working on this for 4+ years, so I guess it will be good to see the end of it.

Any other readers of these out there?

Yep, but until the next book is in my hands I'm pretending like they don't even exist. Less chance to be disappointed...

:)

VB

It's about time! But I'm so glad that he didn't sacrifice quality for the sake of speed or convenience.

Yep, but until the next book is in my hands I'm pretending like they don't even exist. Less chance to be disappointed...

:)

VB
I re-read them a while back, it certainly helped refresh my memory on them. I've heard September or October as a release date...

I realized early on that I loved these books so much that I didn't want to read them too often. I'd read Return of the King so much that I'd almost memorized it, and there wasn't much pleasure in reading it anymore. So I told myself that I would only read Martin's books when he released a new one. As such it's been such a long, long time since I read any of them... when he finally gets A Feast For Crows out it'll be like reading them all for the first time.

I've been promising that I'll read these when they're finished ever since an unassuming proof copy of the first one turned up in the bookshop where I then worked and said "take me home". I did. I read half. I thought to myself - this is going to be so frustrating when I get to the end and I have to wait to read the next part. I'll stop now and keep this until the full trilogy is out.

ha! it's not a trilogy! How many books in total will there be? 7? and at 4 years per book I've got a long time to wait....

It's gonna be seven, at least. He was shooting for four, back in the good old days, but he says the story keeps getting bigger -- like Tolkien's did -- and that despite his best efforts it's gonna be another monstrosity. Not Jordan level, I can only hope....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back