• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New B5LR Review at Ain't It Cool News

Delbert

Beyond the rim
New B5LR Review at Ain\'t It Cool News

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=10511

Not so many spoilers in this one. The reviewer hates B5LR: To Live and Die in Starlight. Outright hates it. I don't know if this is a new reviewer or not, but it's not one of the regulars. However, Harry does seem to think that he's on the up-and-up, so he's published the reviewer's opinion of the telemovie. If you're interested in seeing another view of the movie, and the reviewer at least explains what they don't like, then follow the link at the top of this message.

------------------

Re: New B5LR Review at Ain\'t It Cool News

I've read the review. So, if the half of the points in the review are true, than I have to said: "LOTR is not B5 anymore". Good bye B5.
frown.gif

------------------

He's a trek fan, he probably didn't understand the storyline.

------------------
What are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet .. go 'quack'?"

"Cats."

"Cats. I'm being nibbled to death by cats."

Gee, a review written by some moron who isn't even willing to use his real name.

On a website that is so poorly designed it took 5 minutes to load through my Cable modem.

I don't think I'll pay it any more attention.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Gee, a review written by some moron who isn't even willing to use his real name.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one at AICN uses their real name (except Harry). I'm guessing that people who send in these reviews don't want their true identities known because it might limit their ability to get their hands on advance copies of shows like this in the future.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I'm guessing that people who send in these reviews don't want their true identities known because it might limit their ability to get their hands on advance copies of shows like this in the future. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if they are Stealing them.

If they get them through legitimate channels, the studios understand ahead of time that people will write reviews. In most cases that's WHY they give people advance looks. In hopes of getting a good review.

Unless they have Non Disclosure agreements as part of their access. In which case, they are being dishonest in publishing anything.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
If they get them through legitimate channels, the studios understand ahead of time that people will write reviews. In most cases that's WHY they give people advance looks. In hopes of getting a good review.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't say that I know exactly how "Pike" got access to this, but I highly doubt it was WB or Sci-FI showing it to him so that he could write a review. This is not a professional reviewer. This Harry Knowles's former roommate.

------------------

Ya know,I just can't summon up any respect for someone who would say "Maybe he's blown his wad" in a review. I just can't. Accordingly I don't give any credence to his ability to review anything.

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by terrytvgal:
Ya know,I just can't summon up any respect for someone who would say "Maybe he's blown his wad" in a review. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

Well said.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, a *comment* from someone who isn't even willing to use their real name. Hmmmmm. Guess it takes all kinds...;-)

------------------

The difference is one is a bboard post and the other was a semi-offical review on behalf of a realitively well-known website. The second has more implicit credibility and hence more responsibility to stand behind their words.

Personally I don't care about what anyone else thinks, I'll wait and make up my own opinion however what bakana said is not as hypocritical as you make it out to be.

------------------
"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrispike:
Gee, a *comment* from someone who isn't even willing to use their real name. Hmmmmm. Guess it takes all kinds...;-)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A lot of us are using our Sci-Fi handles by which we're already known.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Alright bakana, what pic are you going to choose, now that there are no Vorlon choices?

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

People don't seem to understnad what Ain't It Cool News really is. It is a semi-pro site in that it appears to be Harry Knowles' full-time occupation. But it developed as a fan thing, news gathered from people who either work in the industry or who get to see movie previews, a place allowing them to let other people know bits of information about upcoming projects which they thought were "cool". The reviewers (with the possible exception of Harry and his core cohorts) are not professional reviewers. They are people who have come across information through their work, because something is filming in their town or who have been lucky enough to get into a preview screening.

Ain't It Cool News does not speak with one voice, but with a multitude of voices. It contains rumours and opinions of individuals - any of us could send news in of a project that we have found out about and, if Harry thought we were on the up-and-up, it would be posted. And anyone can register to post their opinions on a review or rumour in the Talkback section. Consider the site to be more of a forum, where people bring what they have and then let everyone else discuss it.

Until we have seen B5LR: To Live and Die in Starlight we cannot judge it. Some people have seen it and like it. Some have seen it and found it wanting. I will watch it when I have the opportunity and form my own opinion, but I will look at other reviews to see if they tell me interesting things to look out for (I'll be looking out for that David / Dulann thing now, chrispike!). In the meantime, I'll keep an open mind.

Thanks for reading!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
Personally I don't care about what anyone else thinks, I'll wait and make up my own opinion<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that should be the case for everyone for everything, whether it's music, TV, films etc. Everyone's tastes are different.

------------------
"Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it." -- Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair-gel I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away." -- Spike, as Angel, in Angel

A good illustration of the divergent tastes is seen at (plug for which I receive no remuneration) www.rottentomatoes.com.

Not only do they review current movies with their patented "freshness meter" but they have an extensive archive of films with multiple reviews that were used to calculate the reading.

I looked at "Galaxy Quest", a very fresh movie indeed, and one that I love just about every minute of, and scanned the negative reviews of it. There weren't many but some were brutal, calling it uninspired, unfunny, with jokes no one would get, etc. If that was the only review you got to read in your area, you'd avoid it like the plague. So opinions CAN very wildly.

On the subject of AICN, it is a guerilla news site that has over the past few years gained a lot of power by posting those pre-release reviews and spreading information that is often contrary to what the studio heads would like us to believe.

Studios have caught onto it, though, and if Harry (or Quint, Moriarty, etc) likes a movie, then the studios run a positive blurb from AICN in their ads. They've begun courting Harry too, promting talkbackers to refer to him as a "fat, bloated, sellout, media whore" or other such colorful depictions. Some of the funniest stuff I've ever read was in the Talkback section. George Lucas is often referred to as "Flannel the Hutt" or "Jabba the Neck".

With that in mind, I address the review by ChrisPike and the criticisms of his writing on this board. I could be wrong on this, but I think a lot of that has to do with playing to the audience. The tone and terminology is in tune with the mentality of AICN. You go a little raw, a little vulgar, and if you don't like something you hit it hard. This is what he did. If he were writing for the NY Times, he would certainly turn in a different review.

It's also fanboy heaven.

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

That fanboy heaven comment was lost as I was writing it. It was not meant as a tagline.

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

Beethoven, Miles Davis' and John Coltrane's later work, Ayn Rand, Stanley Kubrick, King Crimson, the English Patient, Stranger In a Strange Land, Frank Zappa.

I just felt like listing a bunch of things, some that I like and some that I don't, that received so many different and contradictory reviews and criticisms when they came out, that it's impossible to know what they were like.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back