• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

My impressions of the Gathering.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Just finished watching "The Gathering".
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Introduction

The disk is double-sided, as was known before. I'm relieved to confirm that there is no region code enhancement. The package is nice. To be honest, I don't understand why people complained about the "awful cardboard package". They must have their standards set really high. What do you want - it is no more than a careful marketing test.

Equipment

Screen: 17-inch monitor.
Processor: Athlon 1000 MHz.
Graphics: NVidia Geforce 2.
System: Shadows 98.
Decoder: Power DVD 4.0
Sound: Integrated AC97 sound.
Speakers: Wireless stereo headphones.

Technical remarks

For my undistinguished standards, the sound was excellent. I don't care about getting the very best sound quality -- as long as my headphones won't tune in on somebody's mobile phone.
smile.gif

The picture had some resizing artifacts which I attribute to the decoder changing it to fit my screen. Unfortunately I got carried away with watching the movie so I missed all the alleged compression artifacts. Had I allowed it to play in its original aspect ratio, the image would have been even better.

A software decoder running on a gigahertz CPU can play it smoothly, which in itself proves nothing (except the absence of severe compression errors). Even after resizing to 800 x 600 pixels, the image quality remained above anything I have seen on tape.

And now for a word about contents...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Who would had suspected that I will love "The Gathering"!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The last time I saw it was long years ago. I had forgotten most of it -- cringe moments and excellent ones alike. A short review of what I recalled as remarkable:

1. Hold the Line! Nobody grins! Nobody!
smile.gif

You now know why I chose Sinclair for my avatar and Lennier for my user name.
blush.gif

Unsure whether to laugh or cry, I almost managed to do both. No more telling me that Sheridan's grin makes you cringe! The guy we are dealing with here is blatantly smiling at the prospect of being shipped off to Vorlon Prime. Not only an extreme case of survivor guilt, but a deadly dose of incurable optimism.

2. A memory well forgotten.

Laurel Takashima: she will send you a fruit basket.

3. Favourite cringe moment.

Wait for a scene with Delenn speaking. Shut your eyes, listen to her voice and then reopen you eyes. What the hell has happened to her?:eek

Delenn's original makeup never ceases to amuse me. Is this truly the same Minbari ambassador we saw later? The voice is the same, the posture and eyes too, but the rest is just infinitely amusing.

4. A major comeback.

The character of Garibaldi just made a major comeback for me. First-season Garibaldi is something not to be missed. Now if Warner would only get on with publishing the first season on DVD!

5. G'Kar

Beep beep. Need I say more?

6. Londo

Nice shark, pretty shark, come here... and loan me some money too.
laugh.gif

7. Lyta

Nice performance from the very beginning.

-------------------

And the sweetest moment I kept for the end. It was absolutely hilarious to see Mister Morden commenting Vorlon fleet movements and trying to save the station from breaking apart.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Conclusion: it made my day.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited December 17, 2001).]

It was this pilot movie that got me into B5 way way back in the dim past
laugh.gif
.I'm glad they decided to change the way the minbari look as they look abit shocking
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Excellent movie and to think this saying "there is a hole in your mind"plagued Sinclair for along time.....

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Who would had suspected that I will love "The Gathering"!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, by all accounts this is a very different movie than the one you saw all those years ago. PTEN insisted that it be broken up into nine acts to fit in more commercials, and the pacing was rumored to be horrible. The music was different, effects shots were missing (the defense grid was mentioned, but never shown, because the couldn't afford the CGI
smile.gif
), and the director had control of the final cut, which JMS thought put too much emphasis on pretty camera angles, SFX and scenes that he didn't think worked and wanted cut. (The infamous "alien zoo" walk through the alien sector and the "cone of silence" effect during the Lyta/G'Kar scene.) And the studio made Tamlyn Tomita come back and "loop" all of Takishima's dialogue to make the character "softer and more feminine."
smile.gif

The re-edit is back to a normal six-act structure, scenes have been rearranged to make the story-telling more coherent (and eliminate hitting an artificial "climax" every 7 minutes instead of every 12 or so), new FX shots were dropped in, 14 minutes of character moments added in place of high camera angles, and Laurel has her original voice back. Plus the Christopher Franke score makes it feel more like the B5[:b] we're used to.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The package is nice. To be honest, I don't understand why people complained about the "awful cardboard package". They must have their standards set really high. What do you want - it is no more than a careful marketing test.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that has nothing to do with the packaging. The cardboard snapper cases are simply Warner Bros. standard packaging and have been since the first DVDs were released in six U.S. test cities in the spring of 1997. Studios distributed by Warner Bros. (New Line, HBO Films) also use the "snappers" There must be an awful lot of people who just bought DVD players and got B5[:b] as their first disc, or who have owned players for awhile but somehow managed never to buy a WB title judging by the number of posts I've seen expressing surprise at the cardboard case. It's been around going on five years folks, why are so many of you so shocked?
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Wait for a scene with Delenn speaking. Shut your eyes, listen to her voice and then reopen you eyes. What the hell has happened to her?:eek<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, she underwent a sex change, of course.
smile.gif
For those not familiar with the background: Delenn was planned as a male Minbari for the pilot and the first season. "He" wouldn't become "she" until the Chrysalis transformation - which would have done a sex change as well as a species change. (This was one of the boldest ideas JMS ever came up with. Part of me is sorry they couldn't pull it off if only because we never got the scene where Delenn leaves the Chrysalis and says, "That $@#*& machine did WHAT?")

Rather than do the obvious, cast a male actor in the role to start with, and bring in a female at the start of year two, JMS took a different approach. He like Mira's audition so much that he wanted to cast her immediately. (If he didn't cast her in the pilot, and get an option for the series, there was no assurance she'd be available by the time S2 rolled around.) He also wanted a consistent performance for the Delenn character for the whole five years, which he couldn't get if he switched actors mid-stream.

In order to help conceal the fact that a woman was playing a male character for one movie and 22 episodes, the Minbari were conceived as an androgynous looking race. They would have two sexes, but there would be few visible differences between the two (at least few that were visible to non-Minbari, and when they were dressed.)

Hence the hideous makeup. Mira's breast were bound to conceal them, and the plan was to electronically alter her voice, making it deeper. (Again, JMS wanted to preserve her performance which would have been lost had a male actor dubbed her lines. Also there is no way that the illusion could have been sustained over an entire season if all of Delenn's lines were dubbed. Plus which it would cost more - both Mira and a voice actor would have to be hired for one role.
smile.gif
)

Two things scuttled this plan: 1) The electronic processing just wasn't convincing. With more time they might have solved the technical problem, but they didn't have time. The pilot had an airdate that was set in stone. 2) Test audiences responded very favorably to Mira's natural voice, and to Delenn as a female.

The "androgynous Minbari" idea was dropped along with the sex change, and so makeup could be redesigned for the series in a way that let more of Mira's natural beauty shine through. (Even in S1 she's very cute, you know - for a Minbari.
smile.gif
)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Well, by all accounts this is a very different movie than the one you saw all those years ago. PTEN insisted that it be broken up into nine acts to fit in more commercials, and the pacing was rumored to be horrible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And for anyone interested in a rather comprehensive list of the differences between the two versions of the pilot:

The Gathering Difference List

Which page amazingly still works, despite the fact that the whole site hasn't been touched in nearly a year...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Hence the hideous makeup.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've always explained that Delenn was just recovering from a severe case of Minbari Space Mumps which had decimated the populace shortly before the events of the pilot.

I think someone actually believed me once.
smile.gif

------------------
-- Marty

Can't wait to see it... for some reason, my copy hasn't arrived yet.

Can't wait to see the Gathering, I mean. Well, I want to see ItB as well but The Gathering is the one I really don't remember. Plus I haven't seen the new version so I'm definitely curious.

No RCE is very good news.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Gathering was, to say the least, expiramental. Good thing they worked out most of the bugs when it went to series (it's just too bad it took them one whole season to figure out that that Sinclair fellow had to go - the man had a a full range of exactly two facial expressions)

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> the man had a a full range of exactly two facial expressions <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've obviously never seen Michael O'Hare in anything else. He's a wonderfully expressive actor.
The way he played Sinclair in the first season was exactly the way he was Supposed to play him.
Stiff and reserved.
A man who has lost so many friends to war that he has almost stopped making friends for fear of losing them too.
Survivor guilt.
That's why he keeps putting Himself in danger rather than order Security to take care of the problems.
Until Garibaldi calls him on it.

You do remember That scene, don't you?

Garibaldi telling Sinclair that "losing a Commanding Officer wouldn't look good on my resume."
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited December 18, 2001).]

Well, I think I will say that regardless of what we saw in The Garthering...things just got better with the series. I think it was a great move to replace Sinclair - I am not sure why but it seems to have worked for me. Additionally was the bio-morph of Delenn, keeping her a E:FC 'generic type' character would not have worked (as E:FC never seemed to figure out). For me the series peeked at Season 3 into 4 with the Shadow War and then the Earth Invasion. Which brings me to my question, yes Virginia there is a question, what era will the Rangers be placed in? I seem to remember that 'Into the Light' told us all about the leadership of the Rangers and unless it is placed after the death of Ivonava - there might be a clitch in the leadership heirarchy. Just wondering...
smile.gif

Gary

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
hitting an artificial "climax" every 7 minutes instead of every 12 or so <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Woo, maybe it is the time of night (or time of the month) but when I read this I immediately started thinking NC-17 thoughts!
blush.gif
Guess my mind is totally in the gutter tonight!
tongue.gif

As for Dgarye's question, "What era will the Rangers be placed in?" here is the answer straight from the official web site:

The new Babylon 5 movie takes place in 2264 after the [telepath?] wars are over and a new age of space exploration has begun. The Interstellar Alliance has been organized to establish and maintain peace among its member worlds, including Earth.

Remember that B5 ended in 2262 (Objects at Rest) and Crusade started in 2267 IIRC.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | monica.hubbe.net | The Abyss : B5
It is an infinite helix, the dance of two souls resonating, like the twist of DNA, like the vast universe. --Banana Yoshimoto (Lizard: Dreaming of Kimchee)

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited December 18, 2001).]

Well Duhh! Let's remember that Delenn was in charge of the Rangers during the time that Sheridan was head of the Alliance (and as we remember Sheridan was in charge before that, and Sinclair was "Rancher One" somewhere in there, and Ivanova in charge after Delenn. Let's also remember I am quoting from 'Into The Light' which was 20 years after jumping into the Z)....Is Delenn or et.al. going to be around in this series?

Gary

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dgarye (edited December 18, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dgarye (edited December 18, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Well Duhh!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Well, duh"? Isn't that the kind of thing you say when someone says something stupidly obvious - as opposed to when someone helpfully corrects you on something you got wrong?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Let's remember that Delenn was in charge of the Rangers during the time that Sheridan was head of the Alliance (and as we remember Sheridan was in charge before that<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, let's remember that Sheridan shared authority over the Rangers in the vicinity of B5 with Delenn while Sinclair was Ranger One. Sheridan never had a formal title or position in the Rangers, much less Ranger One (Anlashok'Na) or Entil'Zha until after he retired as President of the Alliance in 2279 or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>... and Sinclair was "Rancher One" somewhere in there<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great, now I'm going to have this picture of Sinclair on horseback, wearing a cowboy hat, running around in my head for the rest of the day.
smile.gif
At least, being Sinclair, we know he'll never be called "Jolly Rancher."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>...and Ivanova in charge after Delenn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Duhhh...
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Let's also remember I am quoting from 'Into The Light' which was 20 years after jumping into the Z<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about we try to remember that the final episode of the series is called "Sleeping in Light", for starters?
smile.gif
And yes, we all know when the episode happens, which is why being told that the movie takes place in 2264 should have been enough to answer your question about who is in charge of the Rangers at the time, and shown that Ivanova is not a candidate and that there is no "clitch" in the leadership hierarchy.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Is Delenn or et.al. going to be around in this series?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What series?
smile.gif
If the movie does well enough to spawn a series, we'll likely see some guest appearances by characters from B5 (and possibly Crusade) subject to budget, time constraints and the actors' schedules. But none of the B5 characters would be regulars and only one (G'Kar) is definitely planned as a recurring character - subject to all of the constraints mentioned above. In short, JMS will try, but nobody can be sure about anything at this point.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited December 18, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Great, now I'm going to have this picture of Sinclair on horseback, wearing a cowboy hat, running around in my head for the rest of the day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me, it created an entirely different association.

I imagined Valen after the Shadow War, with nothing interesting to do. Naturally he would have not settled for *only* founding the Rangers. He would have also founded the order of spoo ranchers, becoming widely known as "Rancher One".
shocked.gif

Speaking of NC-17 thoughts...I always had an issue with 'spoo' being this great stuff to eat...

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Glad to know there are others who actually like The Gathering as well hence the Delenn hideous makeup and the sex change
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
shocked.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
Speaking of NC-17 thoughts...I always had an issue with 'spoo' being this great stuff to eat...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh noooooo! Now I can never think of Spoo in the same way again! -hehe-

JoeD - You gave way more of a reply than I would have but I loved it. I especially liked all the misspellings that you pointed out.

Lennier - Sinclair as Spoo Rancher One! Oh that was good!

Oh, I really needed a good laugh today and you all have really made my day.
smile.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | monica.hubbe.net | The Abyss : B5
It is an infinite helix, the dance of two souls resonating, like the twist of DNA, like the vast universe. --Banana Yoshimoto (Lizard: Dreaming of Kimchee)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
For me, it created an entirely different association.

I imagined Valen after the Shadow War, with nothing interesting to do. Naturally he would have not settled for *only* founding the Rangers. He would have also founded the order of spoo ranchers, becoming widely known as "Rancher One".
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHACK!

sigh

------------------
-- Marty

Someone else's impression of the Gathering:

I finally got my DVD in the mail the other day and just watched the Gathering with my roommate. He is not a fan by any means, but has seen bits and pieces when I watch it, so he recognises some of the characters and such.

I told him not to expect to much from the Gathering since it's a pilot, the makeup was weird, etc and so on. When it was over, he said he didn't see what the hell I was talking about, that it was very good, and that if he'd seen it as a pilot, he would have been interested in seeing the show. Of course, this isn't what was aired originally as the pilot, but that's besides the point.

I had a negative impression of it because I saw after seeeing almost all of the series, and it is inferior comparitively. But this time I was more objective, and the Gathering does an excellent job of introducing the characters and the B5 universe, while providing a pretty good murder mystery story. It was clever how exposition was a part of the murder, ie G'Kar's motivation for framing Sinclair.

I guess my point is that the Gathering is pretty damn good pilot movie.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Haven't seen The Gathering yet... even the original tv-version. Yes, it's pathetic. Ordered ordinary tape for christmas.

Regards,
TheInfection

------------------
Things change... long time gone by.

wink.gif
..Well first I hit myself in the head while saying "Well duhh", and since I made my feelings about Sinclair abundantly vague and therefore put my comments in parentheses and quotations, maybe I should also have included a smiley face...
smile.gif

However, it seems in a response above that JMS has written another 'movie' and let the inconsistencies be taken care of 'if' it's picked up. Where have I seen that before?..
smile.gif

To quote from another of my favorites...'works for me'..
wink.gif

Gary

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dgarye (edited December 19, 2001).]

I got the DVD today!!
laugh.gif
I'm holding it in my grubby little hands right now... too bad I'm at work and can't watch it right away!
laugh.gif

Well, at least I know what I'll be doing tonight.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back