• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Moving beyond ratings

westtim

Beyond the rim
Given that almost a month has past since Rangers has aired I believe it is fair to say that the average rating for Rangers was not enough to derail negotiations for a series (We would have heard from JMS had the project immediatly fell through). However I'm sure the give and take between Warner and SFC is getting...interesting. This is where money and egos could save or destroy Rangers. My hopes are with the cast and fans that Rangers makes it through these negotiations and realizes its potential. Good Luck
smile.gif

------------------

hear, hear

------------------
never surrender, never give up
God, I need a better tag line

I agree. Let's hope they can put greed and low ratings numbers because of a football game aside and decide to go ahead with a series.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

I think that they will be considering the alternatives. Have they got something that is cheaper and will get better ratings?

I understand they (SciFi) are preparing their fall lineup now so they will be considering their options.

We can only wait and hope.
crazy.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Have they got something that is cheaper and will get better ratings? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't this how we got Black Scorpion?

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Isn't this how we got Black Scorpion?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch!! don't even think it. Even though it cost SFC very little to get Black Scorpion they could not build a night of programming from it. They got what they paid for. Let us all hope that some degree of learning took place.

------------------

There is a good chance that they Have worked out a deal but are simply not Ready or willing to announce it yet.

They Time these announcements for what they think will give them the maximum publicity.

Right now, everyone is watching the Olympics and Enron.
An announcement of a new TV series would go almost unnoticed among the people SciFi & Warner most want to see it:
people who Aren't sitting around chewing their fingers off waiting for the announcement.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Black Scorpion.

Cheaper? Yes, definately.
Better Ratings? Ummm, no.

Did Black Scorpion even break the 0.5 barrier? Seriously, I dont think anyone watched that show. Utter cess.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Don't put greed aside, greed is what we need. We need to hope that Scifi sees the money to be made in a series and goes jumps on it. Greed is our friend.

------------------
"I was free to wallow in my own crapulence." -Mr. Burns in "Who Shot Mr. Burns Part Two"

Greed is one of my few redeeming characteristics.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Greed is eternal.

------------------
MPAA: Rated R for bad language, crude humor,
language, sexuality/nudity and drug content.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
I think that they will be considering the alternatives. Have they got something that is cheaper and will get better ratings?

I understand they (SciFi) are preparing their fall lineup now so they will be considering their options.

We can only wait and hope.
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you see the item in today's SciFiwire about "Strange World" and how happy they are with its ratings?

That's an interesting experiment for them. The show has un-aired episodes. It probably cost little to acquire because people weren't beating the doors to purchase it.

The article doesn't say what the ratings were, but if it doesn't have to break any records to be profitable. It just has to be competitive.

I agree that if SciFi is going to announce some new series, they should do so soon. There hasn't been much news from them on the series front in quite a while.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding was that SFC doesn't have a fall lineup, at least as far as original material goes. Fall seems to be the one time of year in which they completely avoid showing new stuff, to avoid competing with the broadcast networks.

Although that might be changing. If anyone knows that it is, let me know.

------------------

They kind of premiere shows when they are ready. They've done January premieres, March premieres, and premieres in June or July. I can't remember any in the Fall.

They always lay pretty low in the Fall and let the big networks do their Fall season thing. Most cable networks do.

Summer is the prime time for Cable original series.

------------------

Has Sci-Fi anounced Polaris yet?

JMS has written the second Polaris script and he does not write scripts until he has been paid.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>JMS has written the second Polaris script and he does not write scripts until he has been paid.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No member of the Writer's Guild of America writes a script (or an outline, for that matter) unless he's been paid, nor can any entity that is signatory to the WGA basic agreement ask him to. That does not, however, mean that a series is in the bag. Sci-Fi may have agreed to pay for several scripts to get a better feel for the proposed show short of the expense of actually filming a pilot. IIRC Crusade was sold on the basis of one or two sample scripts that were paid for at the usual rate. A certain amount of development money is commonly laid out for a proposed series, to develop a series bible and other things, sometimes before a commitment to shoot a pilot is made. (And, as noted, sometimes the series is approved without a pilot being shot, as was the case with Crusade.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I thought A Call to Arms was the pilot or lead in to Crusade.
crazy.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back