• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Minbari Religion

Fas

Regular
Something ocurred to me before when watching an episode, apparently the Minbari spend years in temple and can´t breathe without having to do a ritual first. At least those in the religious caste.

We also know from the canon book To Dream in The City of Sorrows that Minbari are generally not allowed to change caste, they are born into one and that is all.

So my question is, if some young Minbari doesn´t believe that Valen really came and created their society, or that there is a point to the rituals, or just plainly believes its all B.S, is he allowed to live his life the way he likes, or what?

Just curious if JMS has ever answered this.

I'm sure they have the equivalent of a scarlet A. But i think they probably let you switch (rare) but you risk upsetting two groups the one you are leaving and the one you are entering. I think there is enough pressure to keep you where you are. Any more thoughts?

I've been thinking about the changing-caste issue. We see two examples of it happening, and both at dramatic moments -- but it's perfectly accepted. They must follow "the calling of their hearts." So I wonder if it's really as stratified as all that.

Branmer was revered by both the religious caste (which he left) and the warrior caste (which he entered) because he followed the calling of his heart. Of course, he was presumably a great religious leader as well as a great military leader. I wonder what would have happened if some regular ol' religious caste shmoe who wasn't very good at temple duty made the change to the warrior caste only to find out that he wasn't very good at fighting either. Would he be ridiculed by both castes, sent back to the religious caste, or change again and try out the worker caste???

My point is that both times we hear about caste changing within the context of the show, it's someone in a "higher-up" position who does it. It may have been something that was generally frowned upon, unless you were already a person that other Minbari looked up to and had enough authority that you did not have to worry about what anybody else thought.

I don't think changing castes for regular Minbari would be frowned upon too much. The Minbari were really serious and respectful of people who "followed their heart".

Off the top of my head I can't point to a specific quote that leads me this conclusion, but .....

My impression is that while changing castes is very rare for full-fledged adult practitioners of a caste's calling, it is much less rare (though probably still a distinct minority) for an adolescent initiate to follow a calling other than the one they were "born into" (that is to say, their parents' caste).

Minbari are real big on harmony, finding one's place, and the whole "calling of the heart" deal. So, no, no big whoop on chaning caste. I bet the person in question would be questioned and guided to help him/her make sure that's what they want.

As for not believing in Valen, that is understood to be history, so I don't think there are people who don't believe he ever existed. That would be like us not believing Julius Caesar existed.

Minbari religion seems to be relatively without dogma, which is more the cause of things like the scarlet A and otehr things people here are talking about. I think Minbari are pretty much free of that.

That's what happens in a religion invented by an atheist. ;)

> As for not believing in Valen, that is understood to be history, so I don't think there are people who don't believe he ever existed. That would be like us not believing Julius Caesar existed.

ah, but did he?

> That's what happens in a religion invented by an atheist.

earth needs something like that.

As for not believing in Valen, that is understood to be history, so I don't think there are people who don't believe he ever existed. That would be like us not believing Julius Caesar existed.

Well, some people believe Jesus's existance was a matter of historical fact, while other believe he didn't actually exist and was instead a construct made by people seeking to create a power base for themselves. I could see some Minbari being in both camps just as there are some Humans in both camps.

With that the Minbari had advanced technology at the time of Valen but there being no single display of what he completely looked like beyond vague ingravings and statues, I could understand how some Minbari would come to not believe in Valen's existance.

Back