• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Minbari, not Mimbari, Mi--N--bari, and

Quagmire

Regular
I can't decide whether Mimbari or Crusaders is more annoying. Which spelling mistake is annoys you guys the most?

------------------
Bus
"Little girl, I've had lots of jobs in my day. Whale hunter, seal clubber, president of the Fox Network. And like most people, yeah I've dealt a little ivory."-Mr. Blackheart, who I'm sure did some consulting for TNT

Neither. The only misspelling that really annoys me is T-N-T.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up.
Ivanova: In that case we're all going to die slow, agonizing deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

I've never noticed anyone make those spelling mistakes.

I can understand why - "n" and "m" are side by side on most keyboards. When typing fast, one can quite easily substitute one with another.

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited May 08, 2001).]

That's why you should buy a natural keyboard(it's the one that's split in the middle) less mistakes are made on that.

------------------
This short dewd in my pic scares me...

I will admit that seeing it spelt Mimbari does annoy the hell out of me... BUT... we have to remember that many of us here (and in B5-fandom in general) do not speak English as a first language. That said, we really should try to be tolerant of such misspellings.

This brings to mind the time I was told I spelt honour wrong because I put a 'u' in it.

Terann

------------------
Teeps rule; Mundanes get spaced

Revere the Founders
Obey the Vorta
And don't poke the Jem'Hadar

I find it annoying when people (mostly magazines) confuse Captain Sinclair with Commander Sheridan......wait.....oops!!!!
smile.gif

------------------
The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father
Trust the Corps

[This message has been edited by Bester (edited May 09, 2001).]

drahk...can't spell it...zahadum can't spell it...pacmara..can't spell it...and the VERY unfortunate thing is there isn't a Babylon 5 online spell checker...
frown.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I find it annoying when people (mostly magazines) confuse Captain Sinclair with Commander Sheridan ...wait ... oops!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Yeah, I hate when that happens.
smile.gif
Of course I've heard that the second season catches even Boxleitener making this mistake, keying his link and saying, "MedLab, this is Sinclair."

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I've heard that the second season catches even Boxleitener making this mistake, keying his link and saying, "MedLab, this is Sinclair."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that the one from the Season 2 blooper reel where JMS rushes in to strangle him afterwards?
laugh.gif

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

The Mimbari mistake is annoying. Especially because it's so commmon.

------------------
Three Rings for the Elven Kings under the sky
Seven for the Dwarf Lords in their halls of stone
Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to die
One for the Dark Lord on his Dark Throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows Lie
One Ring to Rule them all, one Ring to find them, One Ring to Bring them all and in the Darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows Lie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alyt Terann:
I will admit that seeing it spelt Mimbari does annoy the hell out of me... BUT... we have to remember that many of us here (and in B5-fandom in general) do not speak English as a first language. That said, we really should try to be tolerant of such misspellings.

This brings to mind the time I was told I spelt honour wrong because I put a 'u' in it.

Terann

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that the English spelling? I have seen it with the U many times and never thought it was a mistake.

I have made the Minbari mistake once. Laptop keyboards are so small, I make typos quite easily.

I know its Crusade not Crusaders, is that the error this thread is talking about?

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

I know that I've made the mistake of "Menbari" before, but it was only on paper and was a rough draft for a fic. *L* I quickly changed it once I learned the correct spelling. A helpful tool is the closed-caption on the tv. I was watching "Voices of Authority" yesterday, and when Marcus is speaking in Minbari to the crew of the Whitestar, all of his words are spelled out; the screen didn't read "in Minbari," which I was surprised. It was very very cool to see some of the words of their language.
smile.gif

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>A helpful tool is the closed-caption on the tv.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've got to be kidding. Most of the time the closed-captioning people can't get the English words right, forget about anything else. (I was watching a Sopranos DVD the other day with the door to the porch open and my neighbor mowing his grass - so I turned on the CC. I almost fell off the couch laughing.)

Since they work by ear, and in real-time, CC techs have been known to spell the same character's name three or four different ways in an episode, and they sometimes "hear" the wrong word and type something that means exactly the opposite of the spoken line. I admire the concept, but I think CC could use some QC - especially for prerecorded shows and home video. A typo during a live broadcast is one thing, but spelling the character names wrong when you can check the credits and take your time is absurd.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
LOL! Yeah, I hate when that happens.
smile.gif
Of course I've heard that the second season catches even Boxleitener making this mistake, keying his link and saying, "MedLab, this is Sinclair."

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that because, at least so the scuttlebut sez, that JMS was originally going to just switch the actors playing Sinclair? I heard this a couple times elsewhere and always thought that it would have been a tad silly to do. So I do not put much into it.

------------------
Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
You've got to be kidding. Most of the time the closed-captioning people can't get the English words right, forget about anything else. Regards,Joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I admit I can't criticize here, when I'm typing fast (hardly "real time, either) I look like a real moron. But I'd think they would re-caption for something that's being seen over and over again. I don't know how they do it. I know some of these shows, and I can't spell half of these names. Has anyone ever set B5 to closed-caption? I bet when an alien language comes on they love it! (Just have to type: [alien language].)

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Juche Warrior:
Isn't that because, at least so the scuttlebut sez, that JMS was originally going to just switch the actors playing Sinclair? I heard this a couple times elsewhere and always thought that it would have been a tad silly to do. So I do not put much into it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But isn't that exactly what they might have to do with one or two parts at least if "Crusade" is revived? I actually wonder how anyone could write with a story line in mind and still keep things flexible enough so that if any segment of actors walked out on you, you could still finish the story in roughly the same way you wanted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be a logistical NIGHTMARE?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazybillyo:
Neither. The only misspelling that really annoys me is T-N-T.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely perfect response, crazybillyo. How true, how true. Spelling can be corrected, complete network brain failure cannot.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Absolutely perfect response, crazybillyo. How true, how true. Spelling can be corrected, complete network brain failure cannot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How true!!!

I also agree with you on the logistics of replacing actors in a major role. Let's hope that is not an issue when the revival comes about. *sigh -- hormonal overload*

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back