• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Middle of January my a$$

"I, Robot" makes me want to weep already

I second that! My god, which sounds like an intelligent premise (and besides, anything that concerns the three rules of robotics certainly sparks my imagination) seems to turn into a kind of Aliens sort of violencefest.

That is, Aliens without the cool HR Giger design (replacing that by something that was probably found semi-intact in the shredder of Spielberg's A.I. art department) and of course without the talent of director James Cameron (replacing him with the genius who brought us Battlefield Earth, whoever the hell that is).

Phew. That are some harsh words based on only a trailer! (but well deserved mind you!)

I, for one, have shifted my manic focus elsewhere.

:devil: The Lion in Winter. :cool: :D
Please tell me that they are not going to try to remake the best movie ever made! :(

There are two movies that cannot be redone: TLiW, and They Might Be Giants (made by the same director, producer, and score author as their next project, now with George C. Scott and JoAnne Woodward to play with).

I would have listed The Haunting of Hill House as the third, but they ignored me and tried a remake to their peril.

The suits need to understand that only My Mother the Car is improved in remakes. There is plenty of original stuff to make into movies.

The only movie that can never be remade is "Dr. Strangelove, or How I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb".

:devil:

Some George C. Scott fans hate this movie to the ends of the earth. But it's quite possibly the most (aserbic?) (cutting?) briliantly funny social satire I have ever seen.

"Yee haw!" :LOL:

"Sir... sir?... " :LOL:

I must add though, that the loss to the prestige of the movie "Fail Safe" is tragic, indeed. :(

So, both movies had a common theme and came out at a common time. All you have to do is watch them to know they really were just different ways of relating to a realtively new "nuclear threat" factor that just hadn't been around before.

If you want to see some great theater (from Henry Fonda and a stunningly cruel portrayal from Walter Matthau (sorry about the spelling) then check out "Fail Safe" some day.

Oh, and that guy who acted as one of the husbands on "Bewitched": news flash! The guy was an excellent actor. He plays the translator to the president to the Russian government. :cool:

The only movie that can never be remade is "Dr. Strangelove, or How I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb".
Okay, agreed that that one could neverbe remade, but I had assumed that already because it WAS in fact, remade on the spot.

DS and FS were both made based on the same book: Red Alert. In fact, the producers of FS eventually had to compensate the authors of RA for stealing ideas.

Dr. Strangelove was originally conceived as a straight drama, and converted inti a comedy along the way. There is a rumor that Slim Pickens didn't know it was a comedy until he saw the rushes. The charactor of General Ripper had no changes between the versions.

In any case, you are right. That movie cannot be remade, so my list is back to three again! :LOL:

Okay, agreed that that one could neverbe remade, but I had assumed that already because it WAS in fact, remade on the spot.

DS and FS were both made based on the same book: Red Alert. In fact, the producers of FS eventually had to compensate the authors of RA for stealing ideas.

Dr. Strangelove was originally conceived as a straight drama, and converted inti a comedy along the way. There is a rumor that Slim Pickens didn't know it was a comedy until he saw the rushes. The charactor of General Ripper had no changes between the versions.

In any case, you are right. That movie cannot be remade, so my list is back to three again! :LOL:

You are ahead of me on the facts on this one. I thought that Fail Safe and Dr. Str. were made in the same year, but based on different scripts.

In any event, Fail Safe is worth seeing. Henry Fonda's performance ALONE is outstanding.

Let alone the surprise performances by other cast members. :cool:

Eh, how could I possibly mention Dr. Strangelove without mentioning the only reason I checked the movie out in the first place: Peter Sellers.

3 different roles in this movie.
Played 3 different ways.

And brilliantly done, all of them. :cool:

You know, in the original "Lolita" James Mason himself was very unhappy with the way that Peter Sellers stole the show out from under him.

It takes some :confused: (hutspah?) to manage to steal a show away from James Mason. :cool:

Okay, agreed that that one could never be remade, but I had assumed that already because it WAS in fact, remade on the spot.

When two films are made almost simultaneously and based on similar or the same material (which has happened more than once with books in the public domain) one is not considered a "remake" or the other. But despite the "1964" release dates, FS and DS were not really exact contemporaries. DS was shot in 1963 and scheduled to debut for the holiday season that year, but the studio scrapped the release plans for the politico-military satire after John Kennedy's assassination. The film was released in January 1964 as a result. (A line referring to Dallas was also looped before the final release. A custard pie fight in the war room that Kubrick shot for the ending had already been cut from the film for other reasons, but it surely wouldn't have survived the events in Dallas. When President Merkin slips on some whipped cream and falls to the floor another character says, "Our gallant young president has been struck down in his prime" - not something that would have worked with an American audience in December 1963 or January 1964.)

Fail Safe was shot later and released as planned in October 1964 - nearly a full year after Strangelove's planned debut.

Dr. Strangelove was based on the novel Red Alert (1958) by a single author, Peter George. Fail Safe was based on the novel Fail-Safe (1962) by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler. Fail Safe was a New York Times best seller and infinitely better-known than Red Alert. I believe Kubrick tried to get the rights to Fail Safe first, but either someone had already beaten him to it or the studio he was working with couldn't come up with the asking price. They bought the extremely similar Red Alert for a lot less. Kubrick began the screenplay adaptatin himself, as a straight drama, but realized a lot of the scenes came out very funny in script form. That's when he brought in Terry Southern to write it as a satire. Peter George was very unhappy about what they did to his book, especially the ending (his was more like that of Fail Safe), but that didn't stop him from writing a movie-tie-in noveliztion of Terry Southern's script when enough money was put on the table. :)

So the two films most certainly weren't based on the same book, and if the producers of FS paid Peter George any money over alleged similarities between two films based on the same underlying real-world scenario it was probably "get lost" money paid to save the cost of a trial rather than compensation for any genuine theft.

Fail Safe, BTW, was remade, as a TV movie a couple of years ago. I didn't bother watching it. There are lots of interesting cameos and early career appearances in both films but...

Oh, and that guy who acted as one of the husbands on "Bewitched": news flash! The guy was an excellent actor. He plays the translator to the president to the Russian government.

?

Been awhile since I've seen Fail Safe, but I'm pretty sure we never see either the Russian president or his translator, if that's what "translator to the president to the Russian government" means. (Part of the tension of the film comes from the fact that we only see what's happening on our side, and only hear the translation from the Russian side.) If you're talking about the American president's Russian langauge translator - that isn't either of the Darrin's from Bewitched. That's Larry Hagman, later famous as Maj. Tony Nelson on I Dream of Jeannie and J. R. Ewing on Dallas. (Although as it happens the late Dick York, Darrin # 1, was an excellent actor. See his performance in Inherit the Wind where he manages not to get blown off the screen by the likes of Spencer Tracy, Fredrick March and Gene Kelly.)

Peter Sellers was originally cast in four roles for Strangelove, but was having trouble perfecting a Texas accent to his and Kubrick's satisfaction. So Slim Pickens was brought in to play Maj. "King" Kong at the last minute - and indeed was never shown a complete script and played his part entirely "straight".

I've never met a George C. Scott fan who wasn't also a fan of Strangelove and didn't think it one of the actor's best performances. You know some odd people, hyp. Scott himself has called it his favorite performance.

Strangelove features the film debut of actor James Earl Jones.

In addition to Larry Hagman, Fail Safe features early work from Dana Elcar (McGyver) and Dom De Luise (everything Burt Reynolds has ever done.)

Trivia:

The actual "hot line" wasn't a direct telephone hook-up. It was a teletype system. When it was used (which it was several times) the president of the United States would dictate what he wanted to say, see it transcribed into print and then translated into Russian. The English and the Russian translation would then have been sent to Moscow where a Russian translator would re-translate the English and then compare the two Russian versions. The system was designed to slow down communication, which presumably would force people to take more time to consider their words, provide built-in checks on the translations, and provide an instant transcript of the conversation that both sides could refer to in order avoid misunderstandings.

So some of the most dramatic moments of both films would have been impossible in real life.

Obviously the Peter George novel Red Alert did not feature the "hot line", which was only actually established following the Cuban Missle Crisis of 1962. But there had been proposals of various kinds for ways to prevent that accidental start of nuclear or conventional war due to military exercises and the like going back to 1958, including dedicated communications , so the basic dramatic situation was still plausible.

It takes some :confused: (hutspah?) to manage to steal a show away from James Mason. :cool:

I think the word you're looking for is "talent" rather than "chutzpah". :)

Regards,

Joe

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you, Joe D. I meant the translator you do see, the one translating Russian for the president.

You know some odd people, hyp.
Just posting at this board is proof of that, dear. ;)

You are ahead of me on the facts on this one. I thought that Fail Safe and Dr. Str. were made in the same year, but based on different scripts.

In any event, Fail Safe is worth seeing. Henry Fonda's performance ALONE is outstanding.

Let alone the surprise performances by other cast members. :cool:
No, I was actually referring to the fact that DS was remade by Kubrick into a comedy. The original script was a straight drama.

Failsafe was based on the book, to be sure, but the authors (not producers, my bad) had to pay the author of Red Alert for plagarism. I realized upon rereading my post that I had left out the step of the writing of the book Failsafe (which was based enough on the book Red Alert to trigger a successful lawsuit).

The two movies, of course, are worlds apart.

Interestingly, Failsafe was considered the failure of the two, because it was released seond and seemed uninspired after the brilliance of the DS script. However, I agree with you that the performances (I liked Matheau best myself as, well, Dr Strangelove! :LOL:).

Fail Safe, BTW, was remade, as a TV movie a couple of years ago. I didn't bother watching it.

You missed a rather good and interesting piece of TV then.

It was done in black and white and live, not on tape, which gave it an interesting feel. The cast was also excellent, with Richard Dreyfuss as the President and Noah Wyle as his translator. Also featured were George Clooney, Harvey Keitel, Brian Dennehy, Sam Elliot, James Cromwell, Hank Azaria and Norman Lloyd.

I saw it as it was broadcast and it was one of the few pieces of TV "experimentation" that impressed me.

One further piece of in interesting trivia...Peter Sellers is the only actor ever allowed to ad lib in a Kubrick film..and that film was Dr. Strangelove. Much of Dr. Strangelove's stuff...especially his wild hand...was ad lib. It even became so "graphic" for the times at one point that Kubrick had to re-cut some stuff so you couldn't see what Sellers was doing with his hand...although if you watch...you still clearly get the idea. In the original cut, you there was an angle shot where you could clearly see what Sellers was doing...but, by no surprise, it didn't make it past the censors.

CE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back