• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Love or loathe it, the Hand a tactical blunder?(spoilers)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Where to go from here- I'd like to know about the Hand, even if you don't. I'd like to see how the Rangers continue to evolve as an organization. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's fine with me. Why would I have a problem with that?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> If none of that appeals to you, that's fine. It appeals to me and I think others as well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the fact that the telemovie may have turned some people away shouldn't be lost in the equation either.

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nyght:
I'm sorry, I wouldn't exactly call the review on filmforce a good one.

*snip*

I posted an longer criticism of that reivew under one of the threads Alex started, so I won't repeat it here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about posting the thread URL?
wink.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Psionten -

Where to go - I don't think you should have a problem with anything. I'm not criticising your feelings. If you feel that Rangers really doesn't have a place to go, that's fine. I do feel for you.

Your posts maybe on the negative side but, unlike some, I don't consider you a Troll. You seem to me to be someone who really loves B5 but in the recent offerings something has been missing for you. I don't know what that something is, but you are not alone. I wish it wasn't so, but only JMS can change it.
smile.gif

I thought B5 was weak in S1 and most of S5. I loved it when it hit its stride with Seasons 2-5,though some episodes are probably better forgotten. Still its a remarkable consistent and compelling body of work. I think Season 5 would have been just as good if Claudia has stayed. (As much as I love Lyta, the Byron storyline would have been more compelling if Ivanonva had been involved.) or they had known in Season 4 they would be picked up by someone. Then the Shadow War would have gone on longer as well as the Earth Civil war. Both storylines, especially dealing with Clarke, were a little too brief. Alas, it was not to be and we had a final Season that was not up to the quality of the previous ones.

KoshN - If I find that thread again I will post a link to it, but I've ended up repeating much of what I said there in the last few posts. Thank you for your kind comments.

------------------
Lyta lives!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nyght:
KoshN - If I find that thread again I will post a link to it, but I've ended up repeating much of what I said there in the last few posts. Thank you for your kind comments.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I've copied your two previous large posts in this thread to Word, and printed them out, to keep with my B5 file. You brought up some points that I hadn't considered.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

GaribaldisHair(s?) said
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
About the "experienced team", IMHO it's not quite totally right.

That's true for the 4 head peoples: JMS (script), Doug Nettle (production), Chris Franke (music) and Mike Vejar (directing).

But the rest of the team was totally new on this experience: Actors, production crew, FX artists, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To which I reply -- you just showed that the CORE people in control of the story *were* the same (writer, producer, director). I don't care about the key grip or gaffer.

------------------
newscaper,
from the SciFi Channel Farscape BB

I find it amazing hw much some of this sounds like the Kvetching that hapened about B5 in the first run.
Here's an old post from JMS Usenet discussions that illustrates this:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> One problem, of course, is that your message about predestination being a drag is that you think you know where it's going. When we first went on the air, I saw many messages from people saying "Boy, this is gonna get real boring, everybody's part is already laid out in order for this to be a five-year story, Londo's the funny guy, G'Kar's the bad guy, they're locked into their roles...."

Well, now... I think we see the flaw in that particular approach.

On the notion that "plots are less than organic," plots are by definition not organic. Plots are artificialities which we graft onto a sequence of events in order to give them meaning. As someone noted, "The king died, and the queen died" is not a plot or a story; "The king died, and the queen died of grief" IS a story, IS a plot; there is connective tissue.

There is always a guiding hand behind the story, otherwise you'd just have the characters sitting around and having random things happen to them.

And not all foreshadowing is real foreshadowing; some is planted as red herrings. Some foreshadows don't mean what you THINK they mean. I have planted no end of turns, twists, surprises, reverses, double reveals, backtracks, ironies and revelations all along the path.

I have always considered the Babylon 5 story to be, in essence, future history. "Babylon 5 WAS the last of the Babylon stations. It WAS our last, best hope for peace." Past tense. If I write a novel about the incidents of World War II, then I'm dealing in history. The events are set... but where the characters go is another question. You can read all the information about how we got a thousand clues and foreshadows to what was going to happen at Pearl Harbor... but it happened anyway. The guiding hand of Fate... or a crucial bobble at the wrong moment? One can look back at it now and argue both sides.

Finally, any time a writer writes a novel, the characters are all going somewhere under the guiding hand of the author. That's what a novel IS. Scrooge is GOING to be visited by three ghosts, and he's GOING to reform, and that's the end of the discussion. Unless you're willing to throw long-form novel writing out the door as an artform because it's not appropriate that the characters should be on a specific and crafted journey....

jms <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

This is basically a repost of what I said in the "LOR disappointment" section...

Re: "Hand of God". Many belief systems either acting in accordance with (or subverting) their beliefs have considered this an appropriate term. I think the key that jms is at is not that they think they're God, but his servants. jms uses symbolism a lot, the Hands of God are only one part and serve the mind and heart and soul. Will we see these other parts? Who knows... well jms most likely. So far we've only seen the servant of the Hand of God (Probably just the fingers of a hang nail of something), what the hand is like is any ones guess.

When Kosh spoke to Sheridan in a vision one of the messages he sent was "You are the hand". Delenn pointed out that it was an odd image as you have "2 hands do you not?" an equal and opposite. Just as Sheridan was to Justin (the middleman), and the shadows were to the Vorlons.

People who watched the LOR pilot are trying to make conclusions about a series which will be based on questions. B5 was "Who are you?" "What do you want?" and Crusade's was "who do you serve" and "who do you trust". As those last two never really got answered I'd expect to have echos of that in LOR. There will no doubt be new questions in LOR, and I look forward to having my mind opened by them, not closed by being force fed answers.

I serve jms (in a non biblical way!) and I also trust him. I think anyone who laughed, cried, or invested in B5 owes him that. He did after all give us so much.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back