• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lost Season 3 Spoiler Thread

What fan freak-out are you taking about regarding those two?

Loads of fans were freaking out about the introduction of these two - that we suddenly have two token extremely pretty young people, that came out of absolutely nowhere, and only seemed to be there for being pretty.

I found them annoying too, and was a bit bugged too actually. That seems kind of silly now though.

I didn't mind their introduction. What always bothered me about the show is that there are 40+ survivors but we only see and deal with like 7 of them. Those 7 are one group or clique, and the rest of the people are barely in the background. I thought it was a good idea to bring a few of those people into the story for a bit, and for more than 1 token adventure and then getting killed.

So it never really bothered me, and I was wondering if there was going to be more to them.

I will say this, about them being young and pretty. First, I didn't mind looking at Nikki at all while she was there. She was amazing! Second, who would have thought that this flight from Australia would have so many good looking people on it at the same time, and that all of the good looking people survived the crash! Most flights I'm on are filled with Hurley types. I've NEVER seen a flight with so many handsome men and good looking babes.

That is funnier than anything about the introduction of those two.

Yeah, the proportion of young-and-pretty types is quite odd on that flight.

That is nothing, though, compared to the proportion of criminals on the flight though. Or people that used to be criminals of one sort or another.

* Sawyer - con man. Killed a guy.
* Kate - killed a guy.
* Eko - drug dealer. killer.
* Sayid - torturer.
* Ana Lucia - killed a guy.
* Locke - was into drug production and dealing
* Shannon - a con
* Paolo - conman. killer
* Nikki - conwoman. killer
* Jin - takes care of mafia-like dealings of his boss.
* Charlie - big fan of substances he really shouldn't be a fan of.
* Michael - by now, conman and killer.

And that's only the people we know. Am I forgetting anyone?

I don't know, I've been on flights with lots of young and pretty types... I just thought I was lucky! If that ever happens again though I don't think I'll be quite as anxious to strike up a conversation given the odds are good that many of them may have conned or killed someone!

As for Paolo and Nikki, I didn't know the fans had freaked over them... personally, their introduction didn't bother me. My earlier post was in response to her opening her eyes and the subsequent shiver that ran down my spine. She's obviously alive and they buried her! Is he alive, too? If they could move, could they get out of there?

Yea, I too am utterly mystified why they annoyed so many people and why people had a problem with their introduction. From the very beginning, interviews, Entertainment weekly articles, podcasts, TV guide, etc, have repeatedly said the reason the show was written to have so many survivors was preceisely because they wanted the ability to grab from the background numbers for new characters.

As far as them being annoying, until this episode, they had all of about 3 lines each. Sure they never did anything and rarely said anything, but, how could they possibly annoy or be hated, until they got some lines and you knew something about them?

Well Artz was annoying, but he was deliberately written that way. Did anyone else experience the guilty joy following his demise?

Well Artz was annoying, but he was deliberately written that way. Did anyone else experience the guilty joy following his demise?

One of my favorite First Season lines is "Dude, you've got some Arzt on you" very shortly after Arzt complaining about the clique of the "A-team" and the rest of them have lives too.

Yea, I too am utterly mystified why they annoyed so many people and why people had a problem with their introduction. From the very beginning, interviews, Entertainment weekly articles, podcasts, TV guide, etc, have repeatedly said the reason the show was written to have so many survivors was preceisely because they wanted the ability to grab from the background numbers for new characters.

As far as them being annoying, until this episode, they had all of about 3 lines each. Sure they never did anything and rarely said anything, but, how could they possibly annoy or be hated, until they got some lines and you knew something about them?

Over at Aint it Cool, Paolo was known as "Take a Shit Guy" aka TASG, for his major contribution to the dialogue up to that point. I think if they wanted to introduce them, they should have given them more to work with from their introduction. Instead, they dropped them in as if they had always been there, and even though it's probably realistic from that perspective, I believe it offended fans whose first impression was, "Who the hell are you?". Is it any wonder that Sawyer's lines to that effect become so common? Right up until their deaths, Sawyer didn't know who the hell they were... and never will at this point.

Truthfully, after seeing them in action, neither one of them put in a very good performance and some of her acting was just plain bad.

Funny, the way they were introduced WAS realistic...which is why I liked it. They were people who weren't part of the Jack-Kate-Sawyer clique who "always wanted to help out" so they did (even though as it turns out they did so, to look for their suitcase).

It's Sawyer's reaction, that is almost clearly more directed towards hostile fans, "hey who are you?" that doesn't seem realistic.

You survived a crash with 45 other people, and you have been with them for about 50 days trying to survive. Believe me, by now, they ALL know each other's names. Its almost impossible not to.

I've just watched both episodes and am now fully up to spec.

Did anyone notice the small, subtle, possible visual "link" in Locke's flashback?

His Father was drinking the same rare brand of scotch that Penny's Dad coveted in his office.

I am now seriously wondering if there is any credance in my idea that there is some kind of link between various fathers.

I'm also wondering if Locke's Dad is actually one of the Others and/or is pulling another con.

I've just watched both episodes and am now fully up to spec.

Did anyone notice the small, subtle, possible visual "link" in Locke's flashback?

His Father was drinking the same rare brand of scotch that Penny's Dad coveted in his office.

I am now seriously wondering if there is any credance in my idea that there is some kind of link between various fathers.

I'm also wondering if Locke's Dad is actually one of the Others and/or is pulling another con.

Same brand that mihkail ws drinking too, I believe. But that could just be down only bothering to make up one brand, rather than making up numerous brands (Or it could actually mean something). I agree with Recoil, the whole idea was that they were supposed to be folks who had always been there, but, we just never got to know them, they weren't part of the clique. As soon as enough of the main clique were off being kidnapped, it left room for Locke to ask some background folks to chip in and become part of the A-team. If Jack, et al hadn't been gone, Locke would've had a full posse without going to the other 30+ people to chip in. It seems perfectly normal to me. As far as their introduction, maybe the writers made the wrong choice, and wanted to ease them in, make people familiar with them before thrusting their history on the audience, and maybe they should have instead jsuu thrust them in and given them alot more to work with from Day 1. But, I'm not sure the fans would go any easier on them

I find it noteworthy that most people are talking about whether those characters were annoying or not, rather than the fact that they got buried alive. :)

I find it noteworthy that most people are talking about whether those characters were annoying or not, rather than the fact that they got buried alive. :)

I didn't feel so guilty about their apparent demise. With Artz, he just rubbed me up the wrong way and was annoying purely in terms of his existence.

Paolo and Nikki seemed to pretty much reap what they sowed.

I actually found myself liking the Nikki character after getting to see her with something to work with. Paolo, I went from ambivalent to being annoyed by his whiney wimpiness.

I agree. Got what they deserved.

I also wonder if they are truly dead, or if they manage to dig themselves out next episode...

That's what I was trying to ask before... Her eyes opened, but can she move her arms and legs? And when he opens his eyes, if he can with all that dirt on them, will he be able to move? Could they get out if they could move?

That's what I was trying to ask before... Her eyes opened, but can she move her arms and legs? And when he opens his eyes, if he can with all that dirt on them, will he be able to move? Could they get out if they could move?

They had about 4 feet of earth on them. Nobody's going anywhere.

Last night's episode was a good one. I like that it's getting very hard to read the characters' motivations and predict what their going to do.

The moment Kate heard the "monster" coming in the woods, I marked out like a kid who just beat Legend of Zelda for the first time. :)

"We don't know what it is... but we know it doesn't like our fences."

Wonder why it didn't attack them when it found them hiding in the trees... And why did it flash lights at blondie before it left? She didn't seem half as scared of it as Kate did until it chased them to the fence.

Sawyer being conned by Hurley and learning some actual social skills was funny and even a little heartwarming. I'm fully expecting Sawyer to piss us off again in the near future, though. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back