• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Londo's Three Chances

Re: Londo\'s Three Chances

Londo's greatest fear was something he feared all his life. You can see this in his lack of enthusiasim for becomming emperor. Losing his free will was something he never even considered before taking the keeper. Dying at the hands of a Narn was something he dreaded for much of his life. It is obviously his greatest fear.

------------------
"I was free to wallow in my own crapulence." -Mr. Burns in "Who Shot Mr. Burns Part Two"

"Losing his free will was something he never even considered before taking the keeper. "

I don't think that losing his free will was something that he considered throughout of his life but i do think that he always feared that he would not be able to do whatever he could for Centauri Prime like he would want to. He could still have his free will and things not work out for him and he would not be able to help Centauri Prime. And like I said before, it was very early on in the show that Londo said that the first time he saw G'Kar, he knew that he was the one that was going to kill him. If he knew that it was going to happen then I doubt that that ws his greatest fear.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>And like I said before, it was very early on in the show that Londo said that the first time he saw G'Kar, he knew that he was the one that was going to kill him. If he knew that it was going to happen then I doubt that that ws his greatest fear.<hr></blockquote>
Oh, I wouldn't be so sure of it. Sometimes what you know will happen can cause a lot more fear than the unknown. If you knew - or thought you knew - who will one day kill you, and you have to live with that knowledge for years, especially when spending a lot of time with/near that person who you know will one day kill you - but what you won't know is the when or why - would this really not fill you with... dread? terror?

Well, maybe not you. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif But I can see that for some people, and why not Londo, this would be nearly enough to drive him to madness.
Besides, he could never have imagined the circumstances - that when the day comes, he himself will have to surrender to what has been haunting him for most of his life, and actually *ask* his former great enemy to kill him.

But within that sacrifice came his salvation. I know we keep dancing around this whole debate. Londo had faults, O.k the guy was probably the most flawed character in the B5 universe but he never lost sight of one thing. His people. He may have been misguided in the way he did a lot of things but the intention was genuine. Even when he submits to the keeper his main concern is that of what if someone else were to submit in his place, could they manage to hold together as much as he could.
This is not the act of a coward but rather a person taking the first step towards redemption.
His death at G'kars hands may not have been his greatest fear. On a level surpassing differences they were connected, not as friends or even enemies but something else. A sort of respect. I know I'm not being particularly clear, so I'll get to the point. He had to make a choice save himself or save his people. He made the choice, released Sheridan and asked G'kar to kill him. Which is worse to die a lingering death at the hands of your enemy, or to die honourably at the hands of someone who may well be your friend. In so doing he paid back his debts to everybody and gained the redemption he needed!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back