• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Little Prophecies and Throwback Dialogue

RMcD

Regular
Thought I'd try starting a thread..

One of the things that impresses me most about the B5 universe is that prophecies always seem to come true unless averted in War Without End. Usually there's plenty of fanfare and a flashback or two to remind casual viewers who may not have seen earlier episodes.

But on repeat viewing I've noticed a few lines of dialogue that I missed the first time round that seem like very subtle nods to events in other episodes, but that would probably be completely lost on the casual viewer. I've listed 4 below, and was wondering if anyone had any more..

1. 'Next time this happens, I'm going and Garibaldi's staying here.' Ivanova says this right at the end of Babylon Squared. Seems she's almost as good as Kosh (she is God, I suppose).

2. 'How will this end?' 'In fire'. Turhan's line to Kosh in the Coming of Shadows, and his reply. In Falling Towards Apotheosis, Cartagia echoes it: 'Let it burn, Londo. Let it all end in fire'.
It seems Kosh was foreseeing the destruction of Centauri Prime by the Vorlon planet killer, but did not know that it would be averted by Sheridan's fleet.

3. 'Zathras warn, but no one listen to poor Zathras.' Zathras says this in Babylon Squared, but the line seems to make little sense after War Without End. How could Zathras warn anyone about a war that took place 1,000 years earlier? But in Conflicts of Interest, the second Zathras repeats the line in reference to the first Zathras. It seems that he (Zathras mark 2) had warned Zathras (mark 1) what would happen to him, and that Zathras 1 was actually referring to his brother in Babylon Squared, and not (for once) to himself in the third person.

4. This one isn't really very subtle, but in Day of the Dead Lochley passes on a message from Kosh: 'When the long night comes, return to the end of the beginning.' This would explain why Sheridan makes a beeline for Corianis 6 in Sleeping in Light - it's the place where the Third Age ended.

Can anyone think of any others?

I cant think of the top off my head directly , but i remember some nice little tie-up from previous episodes ,

season 4 garibaldi is taken from his room and asked questions in a room with a telepath and he makes a quote "Everybody Lies" Now in one of the first season epiosdes (ATSFOS)garibaldi and sinclair are questioning a security who gambled over his limit , Garibaldi remarks to Sinclair "He`s lying" and Sinclair says "Everybody Lies Michael"
thats a sort of tie-up

2. 'How will this end?' 'In fire'. Turhan's line to Kosh in the Coming of Shadows, and his reply. In Falling Towards Apotheosis, Cartagia echoes it: 'Let it burn, Londo. Let it all end in fire'.
It seems Kosh was foreseeing the destruction of Centauri Prime by the Vorlon planet killer, but did not know that it would be averted by Sheridan's fleet.

I can't say I find Kosh's prediction to be referencing the Vorlon planetkiller. I'd say it either referenced the destruction of the Babylon 5 station as see in "Sleeping In Light" and prophesied by Ladira in "Signs And Portents." Or it was referencing the Drakh's covertly infiltrating Centauri civilization and the eventual mass destruction as a result of their actions there prior to the Centauri finally starting to come out of a period of self-actuated destruction years in the future as glimsed in "War Without End," "In The Beginning," and the Centauri trilogy of books that saw the death of Londo and the assention of Vir to Emperor.

And of course, there's the Re-Edited version of the Gathering, when Kosh meets Sinclair, he calls Sinclair, "Entilzah". JMS changed this in the original airing of the Gathering, because it gave away too much too soon.

Not exactly dialogue, but Vir does his little wave on at least four occasions that I know of:

The first time he speaks his immortal line to Morden in "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum."
When he first meets Lyndisty in "Sic Transit Vir."
When Morden gets what's coming to him in "Into the Fire."
And finally, as he departs Babylon 5 shortly before its final destruction.

"The wheel turns, does it not, Ambassador?"
-- G'Kar to Londo "Midnight on the Firing Line"

"You really want to know what I want? You really want to know the truth? I want my people to reclaim their rightful place in the galaxy. I want to see the Centauri stretch forth their hand again and command the stars. I want a rebirth of glory, a renaissance of power. I want to stop running through my life like a man late for an appointment, afraid to look back or to look forward. I want us to be what we used to be! I want .. I want it all back, the way that it was."

And way to many others to count.

And of course, there's the Re-Edited version of the Gathering, when Kosh meets Sinclair, he calls Sinclair, "Entilzah". JMS changed this in the original airing of the Gathering, because it gave away too much too soon.

As I understand it it never was in the original script, but was ADDED in the re-edit.

Br,
IamS

I haven't got time to check this, but at the end of 'Messages from Earth', doesn't Garibaldi say to Sheridan,

"You look good for a dead man."

It only occured to me recently that this forshadows Seridan's return from the dead.

Another one: Franklin's line in Knives - 'I know a good Markab doctor, I'll check with him'. Shows the scriptwriter had some fore-knowledge of Confessions and Lamentations.

Infection The Icarns wiping out anyone who wasn't PURE
In season 4 ep Atonement Callenn tries to stop Delenn from marrying Sheridan over racial pureity.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back