• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Just bought the VHS

LightNZ

Beyond the rim
wow, I walked into whitcoules this morning and it was sitting there on the shelf. B5:LOTR.

It's the VHS version, still no sign or rumor of a DVD version. But i'm so happy to own a copy, can't wait to get home and watch it (should be a lot better than watching it on the computer, lol)

So... have you watched it yet? How was the quality?

I'm quite tempted to get it, too... but I'd rather wait a while longer, see if there's any chance for it coming out on DVD (in any region). I do want a proper official copy, but I'm just not really interested in VHS any more. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I may have to buy myself two DVD players. One for me, and one for my friends that I always video swap with.

Then I could buy these cool DVD's and share them too. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

yeah, it's good - so much better than my comp screen!!

But it is full screen, naturally for VHS, miss the widescreen /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i'll buy the dvd as well if one ever comes out (no, when it comes out, when! hehe). The VHS was sooooooo cheap /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah... but with shipping, I wouldn't want to buy it on both VHS and DVD. Not to mention I'm running out of shelf space anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hypatia... absolutely. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif DVDs are a must! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wouldn't be surprised actually if in a few years more and more stuff starts to come out on DVD only.

It'll take time, just like the way music is still released on cassette but CDs are always the better sellers.

It'll take time, just like the way music is still released on cassette but CDs are always the better sellers.

Exactly. A lot of people thought that DVD was going to kill VHS right away, but it didn't. Because it is a recordable format, VHS will be useful for some time to come, and therefore the installed base of VHS decks isn't going anywhere. There is good reason to have both a DVD player and a VCR. So there will also be a market for prerecorded VHS. Recordable DVD is still several years away from an agreed standard and a price point where it can become a mass-market product.

What DVD killed was laserdisc, just as CDs killed LPs, at least as mass-market items. The superior play-only format killed the inferior in both cases, while leaving the cheap recordable alternative in place.

But the change is coming. VHS was never a big direct seller to consumers, at least in this country. The trend was moving that way, with more people having bigger TVs and better soundsystems at home. Even widescreen VHS was starting to take off. But then DVD came along. VHS will continue to sell in large numbers to rental stores, and most people who watch VHS will rent their movies. But its days as a retail format for movies are limited. In the past five years I've watched my local Best Buy go from a single rack for DVD to about six aisles for DVD and one lonely half-aisle for VHS. Rumor has it that after Christmas the Best Buy chain is going to drop VHS entirely in favor of DVD. There are still several times as many VHS decks as DVD players in this country, but the people who buy movies instead of renting them are overwhelmingly DVD users. And with cheap players going for sale prices as low as $50 with manufacturer's rebates (1/20th the price of a DVD player when the format as introduced six years ago) it won't be too many years before there are as many DVD players are there are VCRs. (And those numbers don't count DVD-ROM drives in computers.)

Regards,

Joe

With write-able DVD the use of VHS for home TV recording will some be coming to an end. Digital TV will give just hammer the nails into VHS's coffin.

Since recordable DVDs are already on sale the clock is ticking for VHS and all but one of the recordable DVD formats. Some players can handle more than one format.

The time delay may only be 2 or 3 years.

Yeah, but you're going to have competitors coming in with hard disk box type alternatives for recording. Although people will still want to hold things in their hands and kill that one off.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back