• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS's Comments on The sales of Season 1 DVD set

Re: JMS\'s Comments on The sales of Season 1 DVD set

$100 is the MSRP, sass. (Well, $99.99, to be technical) You can find it in many stores like Wal-Mart and Best Buy for around $80.00 and Costco has it for $69.99, plus tax. You can get even cheaper deals on the 'net (Amazon.ca - Canada - has it for $48.88 if you're paying in U.S. dollars), but I don't recommend buying the set this way. There seems to have been a slight assembly line problem - like the discs not being properly placed in the case - and numerous sets have been shipped around the country with one or more discs rattling around loose inside them. The loose discs are getting scratched by the hard plastic hubs and rendered either partly or entirely unplayable. It is much easier to deal with this kind of thing when you buy from a brick and mortar store, even if you pay a little more that way.

When I heard about the problem I cancelled my internet order from Canada and bought a copy at CostCo on Friday. Discs 2 and 4 were loose in the case, and both were scratched. I managed to watch 3 out of 4 episodes on disc 2, putting up with a couple of skips and glitches, but disc 4 was trashed completely. I finally got around to exchanging the set today. When I did, I opened the replacement set at the customer service desk. This one had three loose discs. Holding them up to the light, I could see deep scratches in all of them. I brought their remaining two sets to the service desk and the clerk joined me in opening and checking them. All had loose, damaged discs. We finally went through all the sets to see if we could assemble one entire "good" set of discs, but we couldn't. Every single disc 4 was scratched. They gave me a refund and I ended up paying more at Wal-Mart, but at least I got a working set. (Even at Wal-Mart it was the second of two sets I opened, the last one in the store, that had only one loose disc and no visible scratches. I've played that disc through - it was number 5 in this set - and it works fine.)

BTW, there doesn't seem to be anything actually wrong with the cases or the hubs themselves. When we put the discs back in place, they stayed there. That's why I think it was an assembly-line problem - the discs weren't placed properly in the case in the first place. This may also explain why disc 2 was loose in every single set, even those where the other discs were OK. Also I haven't heard any similar complaints about the U.K. set, which uses the same case, so I suspect some particular replication or packaging plant in the U.S. is responsible.

So buy brick and mortar, you'll still spend well under $100 including tax, and you won't pay for shipping. Just make sure you check the discs before you leave the parking lot, unless you live really close to the store. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Oh shazbut, now I have to go check all my discs to see if they're scratched...

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino: </font color>
BTW, there doesn't seem to be anything actually wrong with the cases or the hubs themselves. When we put the discs back in place, they stayed there. That's why I think it was an assembly-line problem - the discs weren't placed properly in the case in the first place. This may also explain why disc 2 was loose in every single set, even those where the other discs were OK.

I'm not so sure about that. The disc/hub fit seems to be loose. The disc will easily turn on the hub. I've put the discs away with them all right side up (Alright, I'm a neat freak about some things. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif), and they turn by gravity (due to slight imbalances in the discs). No other DVD or DVD set that I have does that.

Now, I'm not saying that I want them to be as tight as Buffy S2 discs /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, but being securely fastened like the Buffy S1 discs would be fine. When I put the B5 set away, I treat the book like it's nytroglycerine, so nothing comes loose or gets scratched.

I don't think the 6 month wait is that long, I was expecting a year's wait if the season 1 DVD's sold. By the way, do you think they'll wait till all the seasons have gone out on DVD before coming out with the other B5 tv-movies?

Well, all of the TV movies except Thirdspace take place after 2262, so it would actually make sense, from a story standpoint, to hold them until after S5. (River of Souls originally aired before "Objects at Rest" and a lot of people were ticked-off by the spoilers it contains.) Maybe they'll release Thirdspace around the time that S4 arrives, and the rest (and/or a boxed set of all the movies) when S5 is released. I hope that in the interim they re-release The Gathering and In the Beginning with DD 5.1 remixes, some digital clean-up and some extras. (Did someone say "commentary track"? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Regards,

Joe

My set just arrived in the mail this morning. I haven't tried to play them yet, but two of them (discs 3 and 5) were loose. Both of the loose ones have visible scratches.

I very much hope mine will arrive fine ... hoping that as they'll be from Amazon.ca, and as they haven't been shipped yet, it would be a batch with discs secured properly in the box. It would be a *huge* hassle to send them back if any are scratched and unplayable.

The movies would make a good box set with Crusade. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I talked to the customer service line or the e-tailer that I bought the DVD's from. They were quite accomodating about sending out another box. It sounded like they were even starting the replacement on its way to me without waiting for the first one to get back to them.

So do you think they would come down on me if I delayed sending the first set back? After I got off te phone with them it occurred to me that doing that might well increase my chances of ending up with a complete set of unscratched discs. That way the only discs that would need to be clean in the second box would be #'s 3 and 5.

Does anyone know whether it is WB directly taking the cost hit for such a high proportion of damaged discs in this printing? Or is this going to be born by a printing subcontractor?

Just received my set today from amazon.com. Several were loose in the package. 2 or 3 of them have minor scratches, but disk 5 is badly scratched. I tried to watch it in my computer, and it froze up part way into the first episode. I'll try it in the dvd player later. I hope amazon.com is good about returns, but if it was a production problem (and it sure looks like it) it's going to take a while probably to get a good set. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

What constitutes a "bad scratch"?

I just got my set today for $80 CAD with tax (about $50 USD), and two of the disks have scratches only visible under direct light ( having the disc facing a light) that are not apparent under normal lighting. I only just opened it, and have not had the time to test them yet.

CR

Londos6, send it back. They're good on returns, and customer service. Sadly these things sometimes happen... more so because they weren't packaged right at the factory where it was made.

I do plan to return it. It's just that after Joe D's comments I'm not too confident on getting a good set the second time around either. I've never returned anything to amazon before, but I figured they would be ok about returns.

Oh, the money I spent yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I finally broke down and ordered a vcr/DVD player, and season 1 of B5. I also got The Gathering. Please tell me The Gathering isn't part of the Season 1 package.

Well, tell me if it is, too. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif At least I could return The Gathering if it is included with Season 1.

Anyhow, much money spent, much entertainment on its way. How much "extras" are there, by the way? Like 2 minutes per episode? 5? 10? Just curious.

The Gathering is not part of the season 1 set. Happy? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So you won't be getting anything twice, at least. As for the extras - hard to count the minutes, I'd suppose. I don't have my set yet so I don't know for sure how long the documentaries are, but then there's the JMS intro and the two JMS commentaries, plus the "tech files" stuff - and from what I've heard, the region 1 set also has all the episode trailers/previews.

So it is at least some extra stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sounds good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just hope I can hook the darn thing up when it comes. It said it was easy to hook up, which always makes me very suspicious. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Is it much more complicated than a vcr?

Since you're getting a VCR/DVD combo, I can't say for sure... hooking up just a DVD player was simple enough, far more simple than hooking up the VCR for me - mostly because I had to program the VCR but with the DVD player, I just plugged it in, and that was it, really.

I really don't know how a DVD/VCR combo works though. But it shouldn't be too difficult. Read the manual, I've actually found that often helps. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really don't know how a DVD/VCR combo works though. But it shouldn't be too difficult. Read the manual, I've actually found that often helps.

Really? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Wow. What great advice. Let me go make a note of that before I forget it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yea, it said that you plug it in and it searches for a clock or something. A VCR isn't hard for me, just plug cable into vcr, vcr into tv, and voila! You're done, except for the programming the clock and the shows, but that's just finding the right buttons. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's where the manual can help.

I'm getting nervous, though. With a DVD player, I'm now going to have to buy DVD's. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I sense massive quantities of my money leaving me in the near future....

Hmm, maybe I should sell myself as a psycich, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"For the price of a DVD, I'll tell your future"
(person pays)
"I sense money leaving you..." /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

With a DVD player, I'm now going to have to buy DVD's. I sense massive quantities of my money leaving me in the near future....
I think The Gathering/ItB DVD was my only DVD for around half a year or so. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And I pretty much only bought the player for that. So for months, I had three DVD players (well, the standalone player + DVD-ROMs in both computers) and just one disc. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But yeah, the temptation to spend money will be great. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I resisted for quite long but these last few months I've spent more than I've planned to - partly because I never got to go on the holiday I wanted to have this year, so I had to make up for it somehow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have found that the best thing about DVDs is the TV show boxed sets. Mostly because there's so much stuff out there I don't get on TV here, and there's just no way I could afford to buy those shows on video - on DVD, they're a lot more affordable and a whole season takes less shelf space than two VHS tapes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gee glad to read I am not the only one who bought a DVD player just because I heard B5 was coming and for a long time it was my only one .Until recently I have been purchasing the ST dvd seasons and of course b5 s1.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back