• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS speaks..

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
Go get 'em Channe! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>I think anybody who goes into writing *sure* that they're going to be a success is in for a nasty surprise: the world will wipe the floor with them and leave them pulverized on the floor while it moves on to the next victim. Anyone who goes into writing sure that they're going to sell is stupid - and is in for a nasty surprise when they fail. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Excellent advise to any young writer. Keep plugging. It has been my experience acceptance for a work, or a novel, will come when you least expect it and when you are most discouraged. (From an ASJA member.)

Good, that means I'm in for a surprise, because I'm getting pretty desperate now. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=yellow>Good, that means I'm in for a surprise, because I'm getting pretty desperate now. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Could be. You never know but it looks like you have one foot in the door and that is important because it helps get an MS read.
Main thing, as the say in Galaxy Quest, "Never give up."

<font color=yellow>Good, that means I'm in for a surprise, because I'm getting pretty desperate now. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

It’s tuff but sooner or later your gonna make it. Because sooner or later quality always surface. So just go get em Channe!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Gods speed
/Com

One thing I don't get, if they aren't doing space shows, then what the hell are they doing?
Things like Dark Angel, Buffy, Invisible Man, and so on and so forth?
Those are just so goddamn three letter word often used to describe homosexuals or really really crappy TV shows! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
No, I mean it, sci-fi as in science fiction, not the network, I live in canada, so I've never seen the network, but science fiction is about space! Not about stupid morphing vampires cat hybrids going invisible! That's so retarded it isn't even funny!
Like allright, some people like it (obviously the dumb masses that camp infront of their TVs, so that's why it gets good ratings), but otherwise, it's just filler for when they can't show a good space show!

<font color=yellow>Space shows cost more.</font color=yellow> But they allow viewing things from perspectives which are otherwise unavailable. They have unique advantages which cannot be compensated for. Space or extinction is where we will eventually go. To me space is an unseparable part of future, and science fiction often deals with the future.

Science fiction isn't only about space. It's a subgenre, and a large subgenre, yeah. But science fiction would be awfully limited if it were only about space.

Space is a big part of what makes science fiction cool, mainly because it allows us to apply way-cool new theories in science. That's where a lot of our science is heading - out spaceway.

But not all of it...

And I agree, Vampires aren't science fiction.

I agree with Sol. Buffy isn't science fiction. It is...well...I guess action. Firestarter isn't really science fiction. It is more suspense or action again. I also am getting really tired of all the horror movies on sci-fi. How the hell is Wish Master science?

<font color=yellow>Science fiction isn't only about space. It's a subgenre, and a large subgenre, yeah. But science fiction would be awfully limited if it were only about space.

Space is a big part of what makes science fiction cool, mainly because it allows us to apply way-cool new theories in science. That's where a lot of our science is heading - out spaceway.

But not all of it...

And I agree, Vampires aren't science fiction.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Basically it seems to me that they are dropping off the SCIENCE part and now going with just Fiction.

When I turn to Animal Planet channel, I expect to see some Goddamn animals. When I turn to Sci-Fi channel, I expect to see SCIENCE Fiction.

Tigara, I've had the Sci-fi channel for awhile now. I remember an ad displaying "Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror". That always explained a lot to me. Only part of what the "Sci-Fi" channel broadcasts is "Sci-Fi". The rest falls under the category of "Fantasy" or "Horror".

Now I guess it will be 90% F/H and 10% old reruns of real Sci-Fi.

This is just too depressing.

Here in Canada we don't have that problem. Our SFC equivalent here is called "SPACE the imagination station" and it shows Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror.

Science fiction isn't only about Space. Anything that uses technology to further the story, or provide a setting is considered science fiction. Theoritical Science also applies.
"Invisible man" clearly falls into the SF catergory.

And if you want to classify Buffy, well then it's about 10% science fiction (robots, molecular structure, parallel universes) and 90% Horror/Fantasy.

Btw, i remember reading that the US Sci-Fi channel was always meant to show Fantasy, Horror and SF programming, it's just that Sci-Fi channel was a shorter name. Also people often (mistakingly) identify horror and fantasy with science-fiction.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hypatia:
<font color=yellow>Tigara, I've had the Sci-fi channel for awhile now. I remember an ad displaying "Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror". That always explained a lot to me. Only part of what the "Sci-Fi" channel broadcasts is "Sci-Fi". The rest falls under the category of "Fantasy" or "Horror".

Now I guess it will be 90% F/H and 10% old reruns of real Sci-Fi.

This is just too depressing.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Being an analytical person, I did a statistical analysis of all their original programming announcements from this week and earlier. If you classify all the series, movies, and mini-series, it still comes out that 66% are science fiction vs. the other categories. A lower percentage--34%--are to be set in space or another planet. 31% of the projects have aliens. 21% are sf, set in space, with aliens.

I could publish the full analysis on Monday, but only if people are interested.

Some of the fantasy projects, such as the Chronicles of Amber, actually sound pretty interesting to me and they have literary credentials behind them.

I've always treated their label generally. Just as people go to conventions they label "Sci Fi Conventions" and still find fantasy covered therein, the audience of science fiction often is fluid with the other genres. If FX didn't have the Buffy contract, I wouldn't think Buffy re-runs are out of place on SciFi.

If SciFi picked up the broadcast rights to Lord of the Rings, I wouldn't think it is out of place.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> I agree with Sol. Buffy isn't science fiction. <hr></blockquote>

And I disagree with the both of you. Channe's right... just because a show isn't about aliens, spaceships, or rayguns doesn't mean it isn't sci-fi. No one seems to hesitate calling Jeremiah "sci-fi," but there are actually more sci-fi elements in Buffy.

Dictionary ... Sci fi = any thing in the future that has some degree of Tech tied in

Fantasy = made up not true fiction etc.

Simply put there the same thing it MIGHT not say that in the Dictionary but 80% of society thinks that way so it doesn't really matter what it says Hehehe

and as far as you all screaming horror i think you need to go see a REAL horror film Jeez Buffy could be called little more than a Action/Fantasy/Thriller by today's Standards. Horror is quite a few steps away from buffy or Angel. The Outer Limits is much closer to horror though id still call it a thriller as well though a few of there stores go beyond.

Simple /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif LOL

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>And I disagree with the both of you. Channe's right... just because a show isn't about aliens, spaceships, or rayguns doesn't mean it isn't sci-fi. No one seems to hesitate calling Jeremiah "sci-fi," but there are actually more sci-fi elements in Buffy. <hr></blockquote>

Huh? Would you please elaborate on that? I see nothing unusual about calling Jeremiah science-fiction. Post-apocalypse is a standard science-fiction concept, dealing with the interaction and mutual influence of technology ("science") and society. I can't see such basic underlying premise in Buffy. I think the important thing is to see beyond make-believe and optics and ask what the underlying premise is.

(And yes, I would very much classify Star Wars as Fantasy, rather than SciFi. Dune, on the other hand, although having a way more fantasy-like setting, I'd definitely see as SciFi)

Irmo

P.S.:Someone mentioned Tolkien....throwing Tolkien into SciFi would probably trigger a major earthquake in England....Tolkien longed for the "good old times", and disliked analytical thinking. Technology and science were not exactly his favorite topics.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by LondosHair:
<font color=yellow>This pretty much describes me right now.

angry.jpg
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

'Whatever it is, it can't be that bad' - Londo, to Garibaldi

I guess the one good thing about not giving the series a go is that they didn't give us just a few episodes and then slit our throats like TNT did with Crusade. I'll say one thing though, the Sci-Fi channel doesn't know what they're gonna miss. At least they'll still continue showing B5, and hopefully To Live and Die in Starlight occasionally. And you never know just what the future holds.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back