• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS signed on to a new ST series??

Re: JMS: It\'s a Marvel series.

And its going to be filmed in Vancouver, what other shows shot there?
http://www.vancouverfilmstudios.com/whos.html

Battle Star Galactica is the only SERIES filmed there last year (assuming the list is complete obviously). The rest are all features and pilots.

I was under the impression that SG-1 was filmed there, though I have no idea why I think this. I mean I'm not a hardcore stargate fan (though I have borrowed the DVDs off of my friend and watched the first four seasons in the last year, so perhaps I am :)).

I know that SG-1 was/is filmed up there, don't know about Atlantis but it seems a safe bet.

Jan

Hold on, does this series have to be a marvel series?

No. JMS's television work and his comic book work have nothing to do with one another, and for that matter Marvel Comics and the Marvel TV and movie productions are quite distinct. Marvel Producitons is involved in some of them as either the primary production company or a partner, in other cases they simply sell the rights to an established studio/production company. (Fantastic Four and X-Men are at Fox, Spider-Man is a Columbia/Marvel property.) It isn't like Warner Bros. with Batman and Superman, where the studio owns the comicbook company. Sometimes the movie rights will go to one studio and the TV rights to another. At one point Marvel did The Fantastic Four on TV and replaced either the Human Torch or The Thing (I think it was the Torch) with a cute robot because the original character had been licensed to another production company for a solo cartoon.

So JMS could be working on virutally any series. Nor would I assume it is necessarily a "genre" series. JMS also did Murder She Wrote after all, and was co-producer with Chris Carter on the abortive World on Fire. So it is quite possible that this is a mainstream series, or a mostly mainstream series witth just a touch of the odd, which seems to be so popular this season.

Regards,

Joe

At the Wizard Con in Philly, JMS said:

Marvel Productions asked me to develop a show for them, a TV series, based on some of their
characters. We just put out the budget together and the hope is that we can go into prep
sometime in August or September. But there’s a long road between here and there. So if it
doesn’t happen, don’t be disappointed but we’re working on it currently. I always try and be
careful in explaining these things because LA is a town where hope can kill you and I try not to
get too excited about things but it could be a lot of fun. Beyond that I really can’t say.

And at the end of July he wrote:

> Speaking of Marvel (sorta)...anything new you can share about the series you
> spoke of yet?
>
> Thanks,
> Jan
>

Not yet. The series treatment has been written, everything is still
developing, still in flux...when I can talk about it more, I will. I'm
trying not to say too much yet to allow the process to work its way
through.

BUT that's not to say that there might not have been a different offer since then.

Jan

I think there are three different projects being discussed here:

1) A new show that JMS created from scratch

2) A series that he is developing for television from an existing Marvel comics property.

3) A series that is a spin-off or derivative of an existing series. This show was created and developed by others and JMS has been asked to come in as showrunner and produce. (Presumably the pilot - if one is necessary - and the first season.)

"Development" and "taking over as showrunner" are very different things and the words have technical meanings within the business - meanings JMS generally keeps straight in posting about such things. So I think the most recent posts have referred to something other than the Marvel project mentioned earlier.

Regards,

Joe

Just because the new (spinoff) show is being filmed at Vancouver it does not necessary mean that the previous show was filmed there. Geography would also explain why the previous showrunner and/or his deputy are not running this show.

Either way, its good to see he is busy. Hopefully at least one of these two or three potentials will make it to the screen.

Actually, many shows are shot, as well as films, in Vancouver. And yes, SG:SG-1 and Atlantis are both shot in Vancouver.

CE

PS: This could be anything as far as JMS's spin-off is concerned. Literally. However, if the original series for which the spin-off is concerned is shot in Vancouver it will most likely also be shot in Vancouver as well. Just FYI.

CE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back