• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS' Reaction to the AICN Review

Re: JMS\' Reaction to the AICN Review

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
The statement by jms I'm remembering most clearly about River of Slouls is that he noted he was surprised that A Call to Arms turned out to be a better movie.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, he said that. But he also said this (from jmsnews.com--7/25/98):

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The budget on all 4 of the TNT movies is the same. As for "River," it's a much more in-depth script than "Thirdspace," which was
mainly just for fun. River gets into the question of identity, the nature of the soul, it has some very funny but also some very moving stuff...while there are some things I prefer about "In the Beginning," in some ways "River" is a better movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Springob (edited October 18, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>...while there are some things I prefer about "In the Beginning," in some ways "River" is a better movie.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That last part I just cannot agree with. There's nothing I prefer of River of Souls over In the Beginning.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
So are we now picking apart what JMS says about the shows, movies, etc? Wow, we're silly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God, I'm glad somebody said it. This is getting ridiculous. Let's avoid plucking random bits out of the datastream and calling it gospel, please?

I swear this is starting to feel like Y2K all over again. By the time B5LR hits the air, there's going to be a whole new demographic of fans disappointed by the program's success! "Well, it was good, but it had the biggest cable share in that time slot. What a letdown!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>My advice to JMS: save yourself the headache. You should be a jerk to everyone, so that they will stop demanding the impossible from you. That way, people will be grateful when you actually are considerate.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the down side, hardly anyone seems to get it when Harlan Ellison does it. Why should they get it when it's jms' turn?
tongue.gif

------------------
Joe Medina (neargrai@aol.com)

"...that which are, we are"

His reaction is exactly why you didn't see me post in any thread about the review, the reviewers bias was obvious, therefore taken with a grain of salt....

Though J.M.S.'s response is also bias, I say, you tell em big guy
cool.gif

------------------
"Faith Manages"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
So are we now picking apart what JMS says about the shows, movies, etc?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

I responded to channe's "JMS is usually spot-on with critiques of his own work" by suggesting that while I frequently agree with his assessment of the one hour episodes, I don't agree with his praise of all of the TV movies. Then drakh seemed to raise doubts about whether JMS had actually given high praise to "River of Souls", so I pulled out the relevant quote.

This is in no way slamming JMS. Just saying that I don't agree with him on all the TV movies.

------------------

So does anyone think chrispike will respond to JMS's comments here on the board with the rest of us?
laugh.gif

JMS spoke his mind in a sincere way. He was pissed by what he read and responded in a way that made that obvious. I respect him for that.

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Chris,

My comment wasn't directed to you. I was pointing out the absurdity of fandom.

This is what I see: A TV movie/pilot was made. Some guy reviewed it. The executive producer then commented on the review of his movie. Fans are now making remarks about those comments, and then discussing those comments.

So, we're reviewing reviews of review of a review. And of course, this post is a review reviewing reviews of a review of a review.

OK, I'm going to get out of the house now and get some fresh air.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

[This message has been edited by GKarsEye (edited October 18, 2001).]

ahem.

I'd like to take this opportunity to pick apart GKarsEye's last post...
laugh.gif

*scampers out of thread*

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

No matter how shitty a scifi movie is...I would still probably watch it....so in effect...If come january and I see a "legend of the rangers" credit roll and then a bunch of flashing lights and colors...I'm there!

------------------

That message from JMS was entertaining. I love how he's so blunt and straight forward, no; no prisoners, no bullshit. I love it. Reminds me of someone I know...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL
I love it, too.
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sven Foriegner:
No matter how shitty a scifi movie is...I would still probably watch it....so in effect...If come january and I see a "legend of the rangers" credit roll and then a bunch of flashing lights and colors...I'm there!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Give me some flashy lights and then put "Written by J. Michael Straczynski" and I'll be happy.
laugh.gif

Then we can discuss if we liked the lights. Perhaps they were too flashy, yes?

------------------
"There's Snow White and the Seven Narns, Who's Your Little Pak'ma'ra, others..."
- Captain Matthew Gideon, The Needs of Earth
Rising Star

The amount of time that we have been wasting on the review and the review of the review (do I make myself clear :eek
smile.gif
you'd think that B5LR was up for an Academy Award.

As for JMS, he's not going to say Jeez I made a really bad movie and everyone is going to hate it and I'm going out and shoot myself.

I liked all the B5 movies in different degrees, and my opinions are not the same as anyone else's. For example, I loved A Call to Arms and thought it was a wonderful pilot for Crusade, and I thoroughly enjoyed Thirdspace which was a good old-fashioned type of Scifi melodrama. In the Beginning was a wonderful afterthought and cleared up a lot of things we had been speculating on, and each time I see the pilot, The Gathering, I like it better.

So I'm prepared to wait until this new B5 movie about the Rangers airs in January, and I'll give it my own review then.
smile.gif

------------------

I have to say I liked River of Souls. I thought it was better than The Gathering by a large margin, and it did ask some interesting questions. Most of all, it was funny. (Zack specifically had some good stuff). You have to take it for what it is, not a space battle filled woop ass fest but a revisit to a rather poor alien to make them half ass interesting. Don't get me wrong, I still like In the Beginning, Thirdspace and A Call to Arms better, but it wasn't horrible to me.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
That last part I just cannot agree with. There's nothing I prefer of River of Souls over In the Beginning.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>River has more humour, altough as Cartagia said "Humour is such a subjective thing." It also has a bit of a philosophical bent, which probably ment a whole lot more to jms than to the rest of us.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tobias Clutch:
You know, the blind irony of this statement is quite beautiful
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JMS isn't a spoiled child afraid to sign his name to his work.
laugh.gif

I say, good for you, JMS. Remind people that some unknown yahoo who ADMITS he is violating his contract to write this drivel is NOT someone we should take seriously at all.

I have gotten a great laugh out of this today!
laugh.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

So are we now picking apart what JMS says about the shows, movies, etc? Wow, we're silly.

This is one of those scenarious where he would get slammed no matter what he says. If he would say, "Ok folks, I made this here movie, but it ain't so good," would that make sense? On the other hand, when he touts it positively, we say, "Well, of course he thinks it's good, he made it."

It seems like some people expect JMS to be objective about his own work. That would be reasonable... if he were a f***in' robot! No one can be objective about their own work.

JMS has, however, been relatively honest about his stuff, the good and the bad. He takes great pride in the positives, and acknowledges and even makes fun of the failures. Because of this, people demand even more from them.

My advice to JMS: save yourself the headache. You should be a jerk to everyone, so that they will stop demanding the impossible from you. That way, people will be grateful when you actually are considerate.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Where was JMS' response posted or was it a personal e-mail? I visit the moderated group everyday but he hardly seems to post there.
As for his comments, I think JMS has pretty much nailed it on the head and everyone should put the review into perspective.
I don't think the reviewer was wrong to post his comments but we have to question the relevance of AICN since it is not the site it once was (constant reviews of ER and Enterprise anyone??).
The Rangers trailer looks superb and I look forward to seeing it in full.

------------------
'I plan to live forever, or die trying' - Villa Blake's 7

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by orac:
Where was JMS' response posted or was it a personal e-mail? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was on the moderated newsgroup.

Perhaps you just missed it amongst all the other posts on the same topic?
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by orac:
Where was JMS' response posted or was it a personal e-mail? I visit the moderated group everyday but he hardly seems to post there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can also go here, http://www.jmsnews.com it has all his posts and is updated daily, if J.M.S. posts, they'll have it....

------------------
"Faith Manages"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back