• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS - Non-update update

Re: Game legality

bmp,

I agree with the sentiment "now, they haven't sued anybody yet, but that doesn't mean that using images or characters from somebody else's creation is legal - even if a fan project doesn't make any money" in most respects, except again to note that "legal" in this sense only means "without being subject to suit for damages" rather than "not against the law." I think the use of concepts usch as "stealing" when the actual legal equivelent is "harming" is not useful or illustrative, though it is evocative.

Creation of a game like IFH is not like sneaking into the orchard and taking apples. It is like driving construction equipment down the road and getting dust on the apples. In the second case you are liable for damages if the orchard owner objects, but you aren't doing anything against criminal law.

I am not sure how we got this far down the rabbit hole. I am sure that copyright infringement cases are not simple, and that there is no one answer to any given situation that would be agreed with by every IP lawyer in a given country (weel, at least in those countries with >1 IP lawyer).

You can insist all you like, but I'll say again: in the field of intellectual property, in which I have worked as a professional for many years, infringement of copyright is very frequently not viewed as stealing.

It is viewed as the actual offense it is -- without going for simple-minded name calling. The variety of violations possible with intellectual property is *not* limited to moral equivalents of theft, but much wider.

For example, you don't call your customer a thief -- because of a technicality involving terminal emulation and the counting of licenses. Likewise, you generally don't call your project partner a thief -- even if some confusion remains over code sharing.

Apples and oranges. I'm coming from the world of artistic creation. While the example we're discussing is a video game (thus a piece of software), the property in question is artistic material. What it sounds like you're talking about is inadvertant exceeding of license terms due to coding complexities. I'm talking about illegal use of copyrighted material with full foreknowledge. This kind of infringement is rampant because most people don't respect intagible property as _property_, and they don't view it as...stealing. Which is is.

Oh, do you work in intellectual property, too? Where do you work?

Software design and engineering for labeling, barcode, logistics and mobile data collection. Not an old fish... but I do have approximately 100 projects under my belt.

Most of them required either study of copyright issues... or negotiation of said issues with suppliers, partners and customers. Often to assemble a product/solution belonging to multiple companies and/or including GPL freeware mixed with commercial software.

I was the head of the copyright department for a major music publisher for a dozen years, and have freelanced for the last several years. I have more practical knowledge of intellectual property law than many of the entertainment lawyers with whom I've unfortunately had to deal. Although you obviously know something about the subject, I really don't think that your experience is germane in this situation, or that you have anywhere near the practical experience (and the written law is only a guideline for how the law is applied practically) that I have.

In case of non-commercial freeware, a situation can exist where a potential licensee has no income or funds. In such conditions, a license *fee* cannot exist. This makes it a simple choice: allow or deny.

Correct. And that is the right of the copyright owner: to allow or deny. No one else can make that choice.

And, a license fee can indeed exist. Just because I say "You can use that excerpt of my copyrighted work in your textbook, and it'll cost you $100," if you don't have that fee doesn't negate the validity of my assessing it. It just makes you sh*t out of luck. Heck, I've argued over the difference between fees of $250,000 and $275,000 for the use of a piece of music, and the film studio crys 'poor mouth'...does that mean the fee cannot exist? No, it means that the prospective licensee cannot afford to use the work. Case closed, and they move on to another, less expensive piece of music for their trailer. It happens every day.

Even if business logic would say "allow", legalities (like the necessity of having all options open) often block a business decision and result in "deny".

In such situations, one solution does still exist: never ask. Instead acknowledge your weak legal basis, and promise to stop when requested. Risky -- yes. Illegal -- to be determined, neither by you or me.

No, it is indeed an infringement. It's not like Schroedinger's Cat, with the outcome only to be determined upon the opening of the box. If the use qualified under the Fair Use exemption, it would be a Schroedinger's Cat situation (based on what action the copyright owner decides to take, how a judge might rule, etc.), but since Fair Use categorically and absolutely does NOT apply in this situation, there's nothing questionable about it: it is an infringement. Whether or not it is ever pursued.

On the opposite side of the balance... every person learning about B5... is a potential customer for Warner. Apply a certain factor, and you have a certain amount of real customers. Reckon in the products bought/licensed... and you have real profit.

It's a very pretty theory, but it's simply unproveable. As unproveable as lost income from a legitimate licensed game that doesn't exist.

Illegality is determined by a qualified court, not by you or me. You can forever allege that IFH is theft... and I oppose, calling it commendable and beneficial contribution.

...based on an infringement of copyright. There's no question in this case. The only thing that would make this use not an infringement is the existence of a license between the game maker and the copyright owner.

Second of all, you'd have to prove that Warner knows about this game and is ignoring it, which is a mighty hard thing to prove.

You are asking me to ascertain what is not within my resources to ascertain. Not having infinite time, I insist that you carry the burden of proof.

Wrong. I wasn't asking you to prove anything. You'll note that I said "you'd have to prove". I was speaking theoretically, saying that (in the hypothetical instance of a future lawsuit between the game maker and Warner) any legal team who wanted to make a case for the game maker operating on good faith based on Warner not sending them a cease and desist letter previously would have to prove Warner's abandonment of the copyright by proving that they had knowledge of the game and didn't act upon it. Which is well near impossible to prove, and probably, in fact, not true (as I said in one of my previous posts).

As the party accusing someone of theft, I would say it remains *your* duty to prove actual wrong-doing -- not my duty to disprove it, by fetching for your examination something rather difficult to obtain.

Again, not a problem. The existence of the game, and the lack of existence of a license, is all the proof _any_ court would need in this case. What I was saying (I'll try this again; I don't know how I can get any clearer) is that in the case of a hypothetical future lawsuit between Warner and the game maker, Warner's case would be readily made ipso facto and prima facie. And that the game maker, if they were trying to defend themselves at all using the excuse _you've_ proposed (that Warner abandoned the property by not sending a cease and desist letter earlier), would have to prove that they knew about the game. The burden of proof, in that case, would indeed be on the game maker.

IMHO, it is extremely unlikely that Warner has even heard of "I Found Her."

Very big leap of logic, although not absolutely impossible. A company consists of people. To assume that *nobody*, on any relevant position at Warner, has *any* interest in B5... is a big assumption to make. Because provided any interest in things related to B5, one would notice IFH fairly quickly.

Er, first of all: No. I did not assume, say, or otherwise imply that no one at Warner has any interest in B5. What I said was that Warner's staff isn't big enough to know everything that a fan knows. So that unless you have a serious fanboy/fangirl on the staff of the relevant department at Warner, someone like me, which is HIGHLY unlikely given the people who work in the field of intellectual property in the entertainment industry, they are not (and I hate to disappoint you) hanging around in forums and newsgroups reading all of this stuff, and probably do NOT know about most of it. What they know is how well the DVD sales are doing, what the actors are up to now, whether SciFi is still running the series at 9 AM on weekdays, in what countries rebroadcasts are still being shown, etc. They don't know about _most_ specifics in the fan universe, including fan art, fanfic, fan films, and fan-made games. The probably know about something like Babylon Park, mainly because some of the original cast members took part in that (and that stuff would probably be protected as a parody, which has its own rules). But I'd be really surprised to find that anybody in the department who has anything to do with licensing knows _anything_ about this game.

A massive majority of them would *not* consider it theft. Multiple would consider it a venture on very shaky ground, several consider it a copyright violation... but no reasonable person would consider it theft. Because it is not.

Whatever. I'm getting really tired of this pissing contest. I'm certain I've worked with more intellectual property lawyers and professionals than you, including policy shapers who spend a lot of time in Washington advising our nation's lawmakers; I've been involved with industry organizations that are on the cutting edge of copyright reform; and I've simply had a massive amount of practical experience in the field, over many years. In a _relevant_ field. I know that people are very resistant to copyright law, especially when it's going to cost them money, or take away a product (i.e. a fan-made game) that they like. People are very funny about paying for something they can't actually hold or consume; I've spent _years_ having this conversation with people in the public, every day. So I'm obviously not going to change your mind. I'll just close by saying that, no matter _what_ you think, or _what_ you say, the unauthorized use of copyrighted material by the people who made "I Found Her" is an infringement, and if Warner knew about it and chose to pursue, you can bet that game would be yanked out of existence faster than you can say "Zooty, zoot, zoot!"

Aisling

That one is easy. It has been mentioned on the Babylon 5 news group that is part of the Warner Brothers web site. It will be up to them to prove that they do not know about it.

Actually Andrew, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a legal disclaimer somewhere on Warner's site that states that they are not responsible for the content of stuff on the public message boards. That's actually a fairly easy hurdle for them.

Aisling

I'll just close by saying that, no matter _what_ you think, or _what_ you say, the unauthorized use of copyrighted material by the people who made "I Found Her" is an infringement...
On that, I could almost agree.
Formally, it is an infringement.

Practically, time will reveal what WB actually wants... including whether they like it (offer a license for commercialization), dislike it (interfere and stop the production, or perhaps proceed to sow their intellectual properties with salt afterwards) or completely ignore it.

On the degree of infringement... whether it causes benefit or harm... the questionable knowledge of Warner... and their thus questionable wishes regarding such works... I guess we can state disagreement, and stop repeating our arguments.

It does waste notable amounts of time, which does exist in notably limited supply.

Consequently, Babylon 5 might be theft. A commercial distribution... it contains limited extracts and quotations (not to speak of character names and conceptual similarities) from multiple protected works.

Okay, you come up with some specifics from the show. Tell me exactly what you're referring to.

Most were taken without license.

And you know this...how?

And, jurisdiction is determined by where the infringement takes place; in this case, it is likely worldwide since it was distributed on the internet. But the way it would actually, practically proceed is that Warner's agent in Russia would pursue this for them.

Aisling

Things are further complicated by the fact that formal licensing... is a technical impossibility for small matters. If people went by what a copyright holder formally allowed, copyright holders would have to formally allow *much* more, or many a TV show would be much worse off.

Copyright holders would not want to *formally* allow much more. It could turn against them. One could speculate that a copyright holder would prefer the freedom of sitting back, rising to challenge only when something truly offends.

There are admittedly... certain benefits to lack of strict rules.

-----

Thus, the line is frequently drawn in water and not vigorously enforced (in fact, many copyright holders consider it efficient *not* to enforce such things too strictly)... making what is accepted difficult to determine.

It is mostly determined by precedent, when something does occur which provokes the copyright holder to take action against something they *do* perceive to violate their interest.

I'm just popping in here to make the amazing claim that I am actually AGREEING with sleepy shadow on the majority of this post. And, since I've been so hard on him in other posts, I thought I should step up and say that I agree, this time!

Phew! :)

Aisling

Most were taken without license.

And you know this...how?

I forgot "probably", which should have followed the "might be" in the beginning. I cannot possibly know it -- merely speculate.

For example, I could wonder if the poem by Alfred Tennyson, quoted by Sinclair, has firmly settled in public domain by now? Tennyson died in 1892, but some things stay copyrighted *surprisingly* long.

I also wonder if the poem by Yeats, quoted by G'Kar, has entered public domain. Yeats died in 1939, and some works from that period are still firmly copyrighted.

Some of old intellectual property rights are an impressive tangle... so what is legally licensed in one country... may not be in another.

If the poems do remain copyrighted... I cannot help but wonder if license was obtained... if licensing rights in all countries of broadcast were punctually followed... or whether the limited extent of the quotation was relied on, at any stage?

Nothing I can determine by asking, nothing I care about... but a question which *could* be asked. Does B5 contain anything disputable, either in texts quoted, images shown, or music heard?

Reminds me of that little-known superimposed frame from another TV show, found in "Messages from Earth" (I think it was "Messages". Could have been another.) I have heard ghost stories about it. Cannot tell if it ever aired. To air it, one might theoretically require a license. :eek:

Then there is Elric's quotation about wizards being quick to anger. I somehow remember its relation to another work... book probably? Fantasy? Tolkien? Can a single sentence be protected by copyright? I certainly hope not... there is an awful lot of them. Some cannot be made unique. :eek:

Somehow, I have the nagging feeling... that if one would really look... look with massive attention... one *would* find a loose end in B5 too -- something for which finding a presentable formal justification would depend on counting extremely limited extent.

For example, I could wonder if the poem by Alfred Tennyson, quoted by Sinclair, has firmly settled in public domain by now? Tennyson died in 1892, but some things stay copyrighted *surprisingly* long.

I also wonder if the poem by Yeats, quoted by G'Kar, has entered public domain. Yeats died in 1939, and some works from that period are still firmly copyrighted.

Interesting questions. "Ulysses" was certainly not protected by copyright by the time B5 came around, but you're correct that some Yeats works are in fact still protected. But you have to remember a couple of things when talking about the term of copyright in the US for works that old:

1) Copyright in the US, for works created before January 1, 1978, did _not_ subsist seemingly forever (like it does now, thanks to "Der Maus"!). Works created before Jan. 1, 1978 and properly registered and renewed enjoy 75 years of protection.

2) For those same pre-1978 works, if they were not properly registered and renewed, all bets are off. After the first 28-year period, a renewal must be filed which formerly gave the work another 28 years, but that was eventually lengthened to another 19 years, giving a properly registered and renewed work the full 75 years. But lots of paperwork got lost or forgotten over the years, and so lots of works inadvertently fell into the public domain because of poor administrative practices.

Having said that, I'm not able to easily determine the copyright status of Yeats' "The Second Coming" at the time of the filming of "Revelations," the second season episode in which G'Kar quotes from it. However, we know from history that JMS is very much aware of copyright and licensing restrictions/regulations, to the extent that he composed some songs for the show rather than pay licensing fees. Thus, I would be _very_ surprised to learn that he used material that was protected by copyright without obtaining the proper licenses.

Some of old intellectual property rights are an impressive tangle... so what is legally licensed in one country... may not be in another.

Tell me about it! <g> I have way too much experience with this, as in my former publishing house many of our composers were exiles from Europe during World War II, and as they fled from country to country, still composing music, they'd give their rights to a string of publishers along the way, leaving an impossible tangle of royalty calculations for hapless folk like me to figure out.

One good thing about older works outside of the US, though, is the simplicity of term: nearly every territory in the world that has copyright laws has always had a posthumous term (which we here in the US _finally_ adopted after Jan. 1, 1978). So, as long as you are absolutely certain of the date of death of the last-living contributor of a work, you can figure out how long the work is protected (i.e. an opera where the composer died in 1900 but the librettist died in 1920 would have been protected until 1990 in Japan, as they have a 70-years posthumous term).

I don't know anything about that image you mention from "Messages from Earth." If someone can tell me more about it, I can comment further - but if it was in fact an error and was removed from all subsequent prints of the film, it's kind of a non-starter with regard to this discussion.

Then there is Elric's quotation about wizards being quick to anger. I somehow remember its relation to another work... book probably? Fantasy? Tolkien? Can a single sentence be protected by copyright? I certainly hope not... there is an awful lot of them. Some cannot be made unique. :eek:

Actually, I think that quote of Elric's is nothing more than a t-shirt slogan... :p In any case, words, titles, and short phrases cannot be protected by copyright; only by trademark. And I don't think that is a trademarked phrase (like "Coke is it" or "Just do it" etc. etc.).

Somehow, I have the nagging feeling... that if one would really look... look with massive attention... one *would* find a loose end in B5 too -- something for which finding a presentable formal justification would depend on counting extremely limited extent.

Tch, I dunno, sleepy shadow... As I said, we're talking here about a guy who was _so_ careful (or cheap <g>) that he wrote his own songs (the Telepath hymn, the song that Caitlin sings in "Walkabout," and probably others I'm not remembering right now) rather than pay fees!

Also, remember that television is _so_ ubiquitously seen in the US, _so_ exposed, that it's the last place you'd try to hide an infringement. TV and film, both, in fact. I could regale you with tales for _days_ about infringements I ended up pursuing because somebody caught a use of one of our works on a tv show, in a film, on a videotape, and called me up to ask, "Say, did the film so-and-so get permission to use (work) in their trailers?" My favorite "happenstance find" was on a video, but in one of the previews that preceded the feature - I was home sick, which was VERY unusual, and rented "Hellblazer" and caught a trailer for "Warlock" that infringed on one of our works, eventually making a tidy $35,000 for our company by staying home sick that day! Really, any major studio is not going to try to do something like that on the cheap, when lawsuits could conceivably cost so much. They'll always pursue the license first. Between that and JMS's known thriftiness, I'd be surprised if you could find any unlicensed uses of copyrighted material anywhere in B5!

Aisling

That one is easy. It has been mentioned on the Babylon 5 news group that is part of the Warner Brothers web site. It will be up to them to prove that they do not know about it.

Actually Andrew, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a legal disclaimer somewhere on Warner's site that states that they are not responsible for the content of stuff on the public message boards. That's actually a fairly easy hurdle for them.

Aisling
A disclaimer would say that they did not write it. It may even allow them to say that they really read it. But it would be up to them to prove that none of their employees has ever read it.

... but a question which *could* be asked. Does B5 contain anything disputable, either in texts quoted, images shown, or music heard?
I think we can safely answer this one as "no." Television studios hire banks of lawyers to ensure that this doesn't happen. From what I can tell reading between JMS's lines, one of Harlan Ellison's main tasks as "creative consultant" was to ensure that JMS didn't accidently infringe on anyone's concepts in published SF.

The "line from Tolkien" was deliberately changed to avoid simple copying (and I don't think a line can be copyrighted though it can be trademarked).

I suppose it is possible that something slipped through inadvertantly, but the whole reason to set up a procedure to avoid infringement is to ensure that if infringement is charged one can argue that no infringement was intended and that due dilligence was exerted to ensure that it didn't happen (which CAN be a defense as I understand the law). In the case of IFH, this argument cannot be made.

Every television and film script is run through the studio legal department precisely to avoid potentional libel, copyright infringement and other possible areas of liability. Even fictional character and company names used in scripts are researched to avoid potential problems.

Two or three variations of the "old saying" "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger" are used in Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings, which is indeed where it originated. The phrase and additional variants were quickly picked up by the Dungeons and Dragons, Society for Creative Anachronism and fantasy fiction types and as a phrase has effectively entered the public domain, much as "Beam me up, Scotty!", "You're going to need a bigger boat" and "That's no moon, it's a spacestation" have. Normally such brief quotations are not considered infringement. Films quote one another all the time without the lawyers getting their briefs in an uproar. In any case none of this is especially relevant to the idea of creating and distributing an entire game filled with copyrighted characters, plotlines, trademarked visuals, etc. That is so clearly infringement that I can never understand why this kind of thing even gets debated.

Re: The WB message boards: No one from Warner Bros. reads those board with the intermittent exception of the webmaster - who may or may not be a Warner Bros. employee, but who certainly doesn't work on the legal staff or in the intellectual property department. The webmaster only reads posts in response to specific complaints about message content - that's what it means to have an unmoderated board. The history of the board (especially the waves of troll attacks) are enough to prove that the site is not monitored by the company and make hash of any claim that the WB legal department somehow "must know" about every post on an unmoderated message board that may be operated by an outside company in the first place.

The likelihood is that WB has never heard of "I've Found Her". But if anybody thinks they have and are just ignoring the game, why don't you write a letter to their legal department and thank them for being so open-minded and cool in this regard? See how long it is before WB hits them with a cease-and-desist order and the download site disappears.

Regards,

Joe

Well... the latter mentioned... would already be asking for a formal opinion.

When someone asks your opinion... your options for ignoring something (which you might prefer to neither stop nor formally authorize, since both choices have a downside)...

...those options are diminished. Unless you wield skills of diplomacy, and have at your disposal of convenient system of bueraucracy... if you reply, you probably end up indicating your knowledge, or even choosing between alternatives.

I guess that... among other reasons... is why human societies sometimes construct marvelous examples of bureaucratic confusion. It sometimes allows conveniently losing a crucial question (or its answer) -- beyond anyone's ability to ascertain what was known or meant. :p

For reasons of not forcing a choice... I would say that incentive for anyone to ask them... is pretty low. I certainly would not want to force them to choose between two unwise options.

Thud...thud...thud...

Are we there yet, Joe? The last rest area was miles ago and I need to leave a stool sample this time. I'm starting to feel like I'm on that stretch of interstate that runs through the Mojave Desert - the one where you're pissing into the wind no matter which direction you face.

While international copyright law is fascinating (in an odd after-midnight C-SPAN kind of way), I think the horse is well-beaten.

Gaelic or Gallic, y'all or you all...anybody? :p

V/R
John

:LOL: How about the pronunciation of Celtic? With a hard K sound, or a soft S? :D

I like to think K if you are talking about the ancient race;

and S if you mean the football team.

:LOL: How about the pronunciation of Celtic? With a hard K sound, or a soft S? :D

I like to think K if you are talking about the ancient race;

and S if you mean the football team.

That's how I've always understood it, but I suspect some of our friends across the ocean may differ :D

Is all that copyright/videogame argument bs finally over? :rolleyes:

Buried back there in that mess somewhere was my assertion that I have come to the opinion that it WILL be a multifilm deal, but TV, not theatrical films, something like the Horatio Hornblower series on the Arts and Entertainment Channel, which has been very successful. Those come in groups of three, or two, and are stand-alone films, but still have a story arc, are shown close together, and have the cost saving benefits of making several at once. That's my best guess, and what I'm hoping for! :D

Gaelic or Gallic, y'all or you all...anybody? :p

...as the group goes quietly insane, waiting for Warner Brothers to formally announce B5:TMoS. :(

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back