• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS & Lord Dunsany

Delbert

Beyond the rim
I'm just reading a collection of the short fiction of Lord Dunsany, and found this:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Then Yahn lured to him shadows whose home was beyond the Rim, who knew little of joys and nought of any sorrow, whose place was beyond the Rim before the birth of Time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Usury

Now, Dunsany was an influence on Lovecraft, and JMS showed his Lovecraft influence in Thirdspace, so I wonder if Dunsany is also an influence?

I also accept that "shadows" are a pretty obvious image for bad guys and that "beyond the Rim" is an obvious way of describing an area beyond the edge of the galaxy, but I thought it worth pointing out the link!
smile.gif

------------------

JMS has reportedly read so widely that it could very well be a reference from Lord Dunsany.

However, I doubt it's a direct reference. When you read widely, things just seep into your writing. You'll read something, bookmark it in your head, and you'll come out with it eight years later.

That's why the best writers are also avid readers. They have such a base to draw from.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

The obvious question here is in what Context does the Dunsany quote fit?

Beyond the Rim of What??
The World?
The Galaxy?
The Teacup?
tongue.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

**WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS A TASTELESS JOKE**

The fish I had for a year or so contracted fungus and died. Well, that fish's name was Lorien, and we had a little burial service for him and everything. As fish are buried by flushing them down the toilet, I did.

My friend, who I told this to last night, started laughing his head off. When I asked him what was so funny, he gasped out..

"Lorien's gone.. beyond the Rim... HAHAH!"

It took me a few seconds to get...

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
The obvious question here is in what Context does the Dunsany quote fit?

Beyond the Rim of What??
The World?
The Galaxy?
The Teacup?
tongue.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't directly say, if I recall correctly. But it seems fairly clear that it's referring to the shape of the galaxy in an indirect, mythic way. Dunsany uses the phrase "beyond the Rim" to indicate the unknown, beyond the edge of space in at least a couple of stories (I'm still working my way through the anthology!).

Actually, that's a good point - when was the lenticular shape of the galaxy established? Would Dunsany have known about it?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "Lorien's gone.. beyond the Rim... HAHAH!"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The world's first Babylon5/Goldfish joke.

That's quite an accomplishment.
laugh.gif

So, these two goldfish are swimming through the Zocalo.
They see a Pak'Ma'Ra licking himself.
The First goldfish says, "Gee, I wish I could do that."
The Second Goldfish says, "But, what about the Smell?"
First Godlfish says, "Let him get used to it, same as I did."

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back