• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS hints at some new info...

I think Warners is going to announce the sale of B5 flyswatters, green on one side, and purple on the other. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Could it possibly be that the DVD's have that extra footage shot for the Into the Fire game? It was the B5's crew last footage, and I think that would be a cool suplemental--but it's kinda obscure, so I doubt it.

I'm sure its just some extra features on the dvd.

Phil

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Could it possibly be that the DVD's have that extra footage shot for the Into the Fire game?

[/quote]

That would be nice, but I doubt it...the latest word on that footage is that it's gathering dust in a warehouse. Either that, or it's been lost/destroyed.

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMS isn't bound contractually by WB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't say he was bound by contract. I said he was bound by protocol. Do you know what "protocol" means? Maybe that's our problem.

[/quote]

JMS is still getting paid money for Babylon 5, this means that he still has a contract with Warner Brothers. So do all the actors and directors. The are simply allowed to work on other projects for rival companies.

JMS is still getting paid money for Babylon 5, this means that he still has a contract with Warner Brothers. So do all the actors and directors. The are simply allowed to work on other projects for rival companies.

[/quote]

That's not quite accurate. From JMS:

Unfortunately none of it is owned by jms. The ironic part of it is, I had my attorney recently review the B5 contracts I'd signed some years ago, in preparation for a possible audit, but he explained that under the terms of the contract, which was my first such created-by contract, with an agent who had not really done those kinds of agreements before, an audit really wouldn't make any difference....

....because as it's phrased, I will never, ever see a dime in profits from B5. Writers residuals, sure, though those gradually decrease with time. But not a dime in profits. Ever.

[/quote]

Don't get me wrong - I love B5 - but you take it way too seriously...

JMS deliberately didn't hype this announcement so it will most likely be very small and insignificant. I don't think it's the DVDs, as he stressed it would make a "certain subset of B5 fandom" happy - every B5 fan will be happy about the DVDs! Ok, granted not everyone has a DVD player - but that's just reading way too far into the statement... I may be wrong, but I think it's something less "important".

You'll probably all be let down and find out it's a new set of G'Kar keyrings or something /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Here is what JMS had to say about getting paid for any B5 stuff:

Jul.5.2002:
<font color="orange">Unfortunately none of it is owned by jms. The ironic part of it is, I had my attorney recently review the B5 contracts I'd signed some years ago, in preparation for a possible audit, but he explained that under the terms of the contract, which was my first such created-by contract, with an agent who had not really done those kinds of agreements before, an audit really wouldn't make any difference....

...because as it's phrased, I will never, ever see a dime in profits from B5. Writers residuals, sure, though those gradually decrease with time. But not a dime in profits. Ever.

(And no, there's no point to litigation because that's only useful to find hidden profits; the way the contract reads and the amount of overhead and distribution costs that can be taken eats any and all possible profits.)

Which is often the case with first-time series deals, though this was a little more onerous than others.

Such is life. I didn't do it to create a sinecure, I did it to tell a story, and I'd do it again under the same deal.

And my contracts since then have been quite different.</font color>

So, he does get residuals but I can't imagine how much that would be 10 years later. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

So, he does get residuals but I can't imagine how much that would be 10 years later.

[/quote]

Peanuts probably. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

From the Writer's Guild of America website:

OTHER RERUN COMPENSATION (syndication, non-prime time, etc.) *

Residual payments for reruns in the United States and Canada (other than in prime time on ABC, CBS, NBC or FBC) are the following percentages of the applicable Guild minimum;

2nd Run 40%; 50% if on ABC, CBS or NBC (or FBC as of 5/2/03)
3rd Run 30%; 40% if on ABC, CBS or NBC (or FBC as of 5/2/03)
4th-6th Run 25% each run
7th-10th Run 15% each run
11th-12th Run 10% each run
13th Run and each run thereafter 5%

NOTE: There is a limited waiver providing a very different residuals structure based on a ratio of "revenues contracted for" covering syndication reruns of one-hour network (ABC, CBS, NBC) (and FBC as of 5/2/02) prime-time dramatic series which were not broadcast in syndication before March 1, 1988. For details contact the Guild Residuals Department.

Since SFC isn't one of the big 3 (4 now, with Fox) I think this is the table that qualifies.

I don't know what the percentages refer to, the original payment made for the script?

S5 would fall under this forumla, since it was produced for basic cable:

2 - 5 (paid in 1 payment) 43.2%
6 5.0%
7, 8, 9, 10 3.0% each
11, 12 2.0% each
13+ 1.0% each

As you can see, unless you write a lot of television episodes, you're not going to get rich on residuals.

There is also another formula for residuals which can come into play when a show is sold into reruns on basic cable (which includes Sci-Fi on TNT.) These residual payments are based on the per-episode fee paid to the studio:

In September 1999, the series is sold to basic cable for a license fee of $25,000 per episode. The Company receives the entire license fee on September 30, 1999. A residual of $500, 2% of the license fee, is due to Writer A within 60 days of the end of the quarter in which the Company receives payment. Since the quarter ends September 30, 1999, payment is due to Writer A on or before November 30, 1999.

[/quote]

The example is based on a writer selling a single episode to a network prime-time series in 1998.

I don't know what the percentages refer to, the original payment made for the script?

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that's not it. They either refer to the WGAw Minimum Basic Agreement minimums for the type of show and the market, or else to something called the "residual base" which is calculated from the initial payment the writer receives, by a formula I've never understood. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif An example given at the WGA website shows a residual base of $18,182 for a television script originally sold for $27,444. The percentages above would then (presumably) apply to that $18,182.

Regards,

Joe

Well, given that the cover art for the Season 1 DVD Box Set was posted this morning, I'm thinking I'm getting ready to eat a little crow today. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I was sure that if JMS knew of an upcoming DVD announcement, he would have said it was DVD-related, since he really wouldn't be revealing anything new on Usenet. Looks like I might be wrong about that. Maybe he wanted to keep it a surprise...

Oh well; ya win some, ya lose some. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back