• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS at the ComicCom(Sat)..some BIG (vague) news...

Re: JMS at the ComicCom(Sat)..some BIG (vague) new

This is news to me as well but I guess I could see it coming. MGM's official site is so awful and rarely updated plus, there are hardly ever any mentions in the MGM SciFi newsletter. Everything revolves around Stargate and now perhaps Dead Like Me. :rolleyes:

I always assumed that it was Showtime who was not supporting the show (although they did update their site a lot more often than MGM) but perhaps the lack of support from MGM just trickled down to Showtime. *shrug*

No wonder it has been so tough to find anything concrete on the show. :(

Anyway, for another con report visit:
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=001223

Maybe the problems with the Rising Stars movie are spilling over, isn't MGM the studio for that too. Nonetheless JMS seems to be burning his bridges all over Hollywood.

"THEY" haven't said yes, "THEY" haven't said no. "THEY" have said maybe. Who am I referring to? Warner Bros. What am I referring to? A revisit to the B5 universe. From what I gathered, this doesn't clash with the Crusade info I just posted. I believe it is something new. He said he can't say a word, because everything is up in the air.

I'm afraid that JMS has too many irons in the fire (so to speak) to devote the needed time to an new B5 project. I thought that the B5LR pilot wasn't as good as it could (should) have been mostly because JMS was working on too many other things at the same time. If a B5 movie/project/spinoff series is going to be anywhere close to the quality of the original, then it's going to require more time and TLC than Joe is able to give it right now. I'd rather wait 10 more years for a QUALITY B5 project than have a half-baked movie or series in a couple of years that had to be rushed through writing and production. Even though we all want as much of the B5 universe as possible, maybe now just isn't the best time for it.

Just some thoughts.

Maybe the problems with the Rising Stars movie are spilling over, isn't MGM the studio for that too. Nonetheless JMS seems to be burning his bridges all over Hollywood.

This is why being a fan of JMS' work is such a rollercoaster ride. He usually has a pretty good reason to burn his bridges (I mean, would you *really* want a dumbed-down Crusade? I wouldn't), but it makes it so tough for the fans to see new stuff from him. I don't blame JMS, though. I blame the idiots who keep trying to mess with his projects. :mad:

Tammy

If JMS is going to ever do anything else in the B5 universe, then for god sake let it be the Telepath War.

Right now, its like a big vague hole in B5's history, mentioned briefly in passing by characters.

I think its time we saw what happened during this point in the timeline.

Maybe the problems with the Rising Stars movie are spilling over, isn't MGM the studio for that too.

The studios producing the Rising Stars movie are MGM and Atlas Entertainment. You very well could have a point there. :(

Wow, now life really sucks...

And to think I have been watching the bidding MGM is doing to buy Vivendi Universl. I was hoping that MGM was going to buy Scifi and that would be an outlet for Jeremiah. I guess that will never be now.

Cerberus :( :mad: :(

I just noticed that there are a lot of :( and :mad: faces in the thread.

... and no Crusade, :mad: :(

this tread is very depressing aside from something new maybe. :confused:

Cerberus

We got the five seasons of Babylon 5, only a few story lines were cancelled because of cast changes, and the story always got back on track wonderfully.

We got/have the chance to interact with someone like Joe Michael Straczinsky personally on the internet. An opportunity most tv fans don´t get.

We can safely say our show is one of the best shows ever, if not the best.

... The DVDs are soo coool :D

WB has let JMS say that "maybe" there will be a revisit to the universe. that spells out movie.

Cheer up :)

WB has let JMS say that "maybe" there will be a revisit to the universe. that spells out movie.

My thoughts exactly. The DVDs have reminded WB of this franchise and confirmed that it is still very much alive. Yet it seems very unlikely that any TV station would be interested in a spin-off after Crusade and Legend of the Rangers. A movie featuring (much of) the original cast might however seem like an attractive prospect.

I know this will be a controversial opinion on here, but I think we need to accept that there will be no more Crusade. Ever.

For the show to be resurrected, WB (and any station wanting the show) would have to be certain that they could draw in new viewers - not just the ardent B5/Crusade fans - and for that to happen they have to convince the TV watching public at large that this is not just another "failed" TV show.

Those of us here are interested enough to look at what happened behind the scenes and see what it was that caused it to be cancelled after only 13 unaired (at the time) episodes, and why the 13 that there are contain some massive continuity issues. Outside the B5 fan community, the perception must surely be that this was just a crappy spin-off that was cancelled after half a season. Certainly on this side of the pond (UK) the reviews when it was finally shown (at some ridiculous time of the early morning) basically said "not terrible but not a patch on B5".

There is a lot of work there for WB and a potential TV network to do in dealing with that. That will cost money, time and effort with no guarantee of results, so will they make that kind of investment - very unlikely.

B5:LotR hasn't helped that situation any. DOn't get me wrong, I enjoy watching it, but in a "this is a fairly enjoyable way to chill out for an hour and a half" rather than as a thought-provoking and essential addition to the B5 story. I can take it or leave it.

Viewed as a one-off (or even as a TV pilot) it is insubstantial and easily forgotten - candy floss to B5's meat and two veg!

If LotR could have been imbued with the quality and sense of something larger that was hinted at in Crusade perhaps we could have greater hope for new stuff. As it is, that is two successive "failed" spin-offs, one of JMS own doing to some extent.

Right now, the only hope for anything in TV or movies would have to be directly connected to the original series in a way that neither Crusade nor LotR was - probably original cast, with a story following one of the series' loose ends to its conclusion.

If that were to happen, and it was worthy of the name, and it was commercially successful, then perhaps we could look forward to more new stuff in the future.

If not, don't hold your breath.

Anyhoo, aren't we still waiting for a B5 graphic novel that was promised many many moons ago?

Cheer up :)
I can't....Did you know that living here,you don't get telemovies for series...I have never watched The Gathering,Thirdspace,River of Sould,A call to Arms and The Legend of The Rangers...I was lucky to get The beginning on VCD :( There is no hope!!!!

JMS posted these responses in the moderated newsgroup:

There was a lot in that article on the Pulse that was really badly reported, things were misphrased, two different sentences were put into one, sections are wholly incomprehensible...it's just a train wreck of a piece.

However, even though the article totally misstated the sentence so it didn't make any sense, the last phrase is correct, in that I have zero desire to return to a third season of Jeremiah. Showtime was great, no mistake, but MGM has overall been the most heinous, difficult and intrusive studio I've ever worked for. I've worked for, and had great relations with, Viacom, Universal, Warner Bros., and a bunch more. But I will never, ever, work for the present administration at MGM.

I didn't know why so many other writers had a problem there and never wanted to go back. Now I do.

It's my understanding that if the sales continue as they have for B5, they will indeed release Crusade on DVD.

I read on the net -- was never informed by MGM -- that Jeremiah will be coming to DVD in January or February of next year, and season 2 begins September 19th on Showtime.

>What about the other B5 movies?

If things continue, I think it very likely from what they've said.

Bad news, but good news too :) the last line just made my day.

I don't know if this post of JMS's has specifically been posted or not, but I thought I'd mention it. It seems pretty definitive:

From the moderated group (rec. etc):

Message 9 in thread
Subject: Re: ATTN JMS - Crusade dead for good?

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Date: 2003-07-30 21:04:57 PST

> Correct me if I am wrong, but did TNT want more sex and
>violence in Crusade?

Yes.

>I read this from every news source out there so
>it must be true.

Well, the one does not necessarily follow from the other....

>How is it that a studio after seeing your work on Babylon 5 could have
>so little faith in your work?

It wasn't a matter of faith in my abilities, it was that they wanted one kind
of show, I wanted to do another, and there was no common ground we could stand
on.

>Couldn't they see where the story was
>going?

Yes, but it wasn't where they wanted to go.

>Are they totally out of creative mindset?

One assumes.

>Couldn't they see
>future profit in the series?

Networks don't get future long-term profit, they only get what the ads bring in
first run (and reruns on their network). Only the studio reaps long-term
profits.

>After all of the series box sets for
>Babylon 5 are all out will Crusade be released on DVD?

My unofficial understanding is that this will be the case, yes.

>And, if the
>sales go exceptionally well is there hope of reviving Crusade? I know
>that WB owns B5 but is there a chance?

Thing is, Crusade wasn't a show that went many seasons and then disappeared
with a strong fan base and a recognizeable name, both elements necessary to a
revival. It was shot through the head while still in its metaphorical cradle,
and didn't have the time to acquire either of those.

So, bottom line, I really don't think it's ever going to happen. And the more
time passes the less likely it continues to become.

>If Crusade will never be revived will
>there be any future B5 projects?

That's a whole different subject, and there may be a few things in the offing
there, but I'm keeping a low profile on this in case it doesn't go anywhere,
which is so often the case with TV and such.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2003 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)

Well, at least there is some good news here... Crusade on DVD seems likely, and WB will continue with the B5 sets, and one assumes, the movies.

I hope season 4 makes it to DVD by the end of the year, and I hope sales push WB into getting a movie into production in 2004, for release in 2005(?).

If you ask me, WB has already lost an opportunity here: They should have greenlighted a B5 movie as soon as they saw DVD season 1 and 2 sales were great. They then could have had a B5 movie in theaters by the time season 5 hit DVD. As it stands now, a 2005 B5 movie will have to compete with Star Wars III and Indiana Jones IV, and no matter how good it may be, it will be overshadowed by those.

Sam

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back