• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jedi Knights

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Does anyone agree that the Ranger's lifestyle, appearance, clothing and their devotion to a religion, closely resembles that of the Jedi Knights?

------------------

Sure, I see some similarities, but I don't think that they closely resemble one another. A Ranger's life, seems to be a life typical of a fighting holy person.

Fighting monks and paladins are the two types of characters that come to mind.
smile.gif

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

[This message has been edited by Ivanova (edited January 16, 2002).]

Well, I think we know what the Jedi have that the Rangers don't: The Force and a lightsaber.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously speaking though, the Jedi are not a true military. In fact, they abhor it and only in times of great peril do they actually form an army. The last time they did that was 1000 generations ago in the Last Sith War, where they defeated the great Sith Lord Exar Kun. [Jedi Academy series by Kevin J. Anderson called Jedi Search] Since then not even the Clone Wars made them become an actual army. Mostly because there are only a few hundred of themduring that pre-empire period.

Also the Force strictly dictates defence and knowledge when using one powers. Offensive defense, lauching a counter-attack invasion on another race to ensure that race does not repeat its action, is a good example of bad us of the Force. They maintain a discipline to ensure they're members are not open to anger, fear and hatred, for it is these negative feelings that eventually lead one to the Dark Side.

Look at Darth Vader? From an innocent boy to a power hungry enforcer. My predictions of Episode 2 is that he got frustrated by the Jedi discipline to the point he took up an affair with Queen Amidala.

Anyway, that's beside the point. The Rangers are normal military organisation only with Minbari traditions. I suspect they use meditation to focus they're minds and become more efficient. If I didn't know better, I would say JMS is a Buddhist, not a atheist. The Rangers of course, don't have to worry about the Dark side except for the normal dilemmas on which actions are better in better.

------------------
May the light of the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha protect you.

May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

Nah, they're way too different. The primary difference is in how the two channel emotions and apply them. Jedi Knights are taught not to fear, not to hate, not to get angry. Rangers are taught that these feelings are OK, they just have to conquer them.

Jedi Knights draw their power from a magical power, and their whole way of life is built around that. Rangers are just regular people who figured out a working philosophy.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I think the Techno-Mages may be closer to the Jedi than the Rangers.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Rangers aren't hypocrites, they do not pretend to be 'good guys' who do no evil. Jedi say they don't do bad things, while gambling, stealing, killing, lying, cheating, contradict each other etc. Rangers either tell the truth or don't say anything, keaping to a strict code that they actually follow. Shoalin monks basically.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

Jedi's are just ultra-badasses. Regular run-of-the-mill human scum can take out a ranger.

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Jedi say they don't do bad things, while gambling, stealing, killing, lying, cheating, contradict each other etc <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

crazy.gif

When did you see this?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
Jedi's are just ultra-badasses. Regular run-of-the-mill human scum can take out a ranger.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh heh, Jedi's are pretty tough, now only if they were smart. *Whitestar opens fire on the Jedi from orbit*
laugh.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
None of which the Rangers wouldn't do or haven't done. Part of the their job requires haning around creaps and criminals, lowlifes and sneaks. You think they'll succeed by being perfectly honest monks? They are covert ops. Covert = lying.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which as I said is what makes them different, they're not hypocrites, they do not pretend to be something they're not.
And covert is not lying, that is just stupid, are the SAS lying when the covertly take out a bunker? Makes no sense. And you're lucky a Minbari ranger isn't around to hear you say that... ah yes, forgot about the cast.
laugh.gif
Minbari hide the truth, do not reveal it... which is not lying. Opposed to Qui-Gon saying one thing while the truth was another.
wink.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

Yes they're alike considering that both the Jedi and Anla'shok were derived from the Lensman an elite order of galactic guardians empowered by a higher force to battle that force's enemy and enforce the common good. The Anla'shok are indirectly empowered by the vorlons to fight the shadows while the Jedi are empowered by the force to fight the darkside.

Angelsummers- Wrong! According to the EU the last time they did it pre-ot was when they wiped out the new sith sect headed by Sith Lord Kaan which ended in one jedi and Darth Bane and his apprentice as the only survivors. Or according to ep2 spoilers it was during the clone war when they got slaughtered by Super Battledroids in the stadium at Genosis. Post-OT it was when the Yuzzhan Vong invaded.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Bester:
Yes they're alike considering that both the Jedi and Anla'shok were derived from the Lensman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>According to jms, the Anla'shok owes most to the Texas Rangers.

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

Like Chuck Noris, or the Lone Ranger? I hope not.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CartagiaII:
Like Chuck Noris, or the Lone Ranger? I hope not.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Chuck Noris one.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
The Chuck Noris one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The real Texas Rangers, actually. Jms researched them when briefly working on the "Noris one".

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

To answer your original question Cartagia II, NO.
laugh.gif

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
crazy.gif

When did you see this?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gambling - The phantom menace - A couple of times.

Stealing - A new hope/return of the jedi - 'Good guys', for which the Jedi ally themselves with steal information. Also stole Anakins blood, as in taking without permission.

Killing - ROTJ/TPM - How many stormtroopers, sith, droids (who have AI), troops etc. die? The DS2 would have slave labour, outside contractors etc. just like our military does (not slave labour obviously). So many innocents would have been killed.

Lying - TPM/ESB - Obi-wan lies to luke, and qui-gon lies to Anakin "Im only taking a blood sample to test for infection" (something like that, which is an outright lie).

Cheating - TPM - Would think this is obvious, the chance cube was influenced by Qui-Gon (a respected jedi) so he could win. Also Anakin cheated in the race, he has the force on his side, might as well be taking steriods while he is at it.

Contradicting - damn near every film - TPM shows it clearly in the beginning where qui-gon and yoda contradict each other. Or how about "fear leads to the darkside" when anyone with even a 1/3 of a brain realises fear is part of EVERY person. People use that fear to drive them, good and bad. Luke used it to survive against Vadar.

Maiming - ANH - Obi could have used a mind trick, a force push, ANYTHING to stop the alien in the cantina bar. But no, he cuts off his arm. Shows he is a saddist. Like a child picking a fight with an adult, so the adult knocks him out.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

None of which the Rangers wouldn't do or haven't done. Part of the their job requires haning around creaps and criminals, lowlifes and sneaks. You think they'll succeed by being perfectly honest monks? They are covert ops. Covert = lying.

------------------

Well, what JMS Posted was:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The Rangers actually owe more to the Lone Ranger and the Texas Rangers in general.

jms

Re: the name Rangers... hey, when you grow up watching The Lone Ranger, and spend lots of time researching the Texas Rangers when you work (briefly) on Walker... certain names spring unbidden.

jms
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

We should also take note that the line in the Ranger Oath is from ROME.

The legend of Horatius at the Bridge.

Horatius and two friends stood on the bridge and fought off an entire army, protecting Rome from invasion.

They "Stood on the Bridge and No One Passed".

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back