• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

It was fun while it lasted

Triple F

Regular
(I’ll just post this on here, as I guess most active B5 fans visit B5tv from time to time)

Just a quick note for those that look over the B5Scrolls site. It’s kaput.

A few days back someone decided to ‘hack’ the folks who are hosting it, don’t know the details other than it made a bit of a mess. But as a result they’re in no kind of hurry to put the site back up – which is understandable.

It was fun to put together while allowing me to practise coding a web page (which was the whole point of the exercise), but as the idea of playing cat and mouse with the elements of the internet that like to play silly buggers doesn’t exactly appeal, I doubt if I’ll try finding a new home for it either.

So for anyone who kept meaning to lift some of the concept art from the site (and hadn’t yet done so) your to late. ; )

Cheers
Tom

F***! I liked that site quite a bit. Very cool. Please post if revenge achieved :)

Raw Shark

"Looking back, at what he left, a list of plans and photographs"
Megadeth, Use the Man

Sorry to hear that, Tom. There was some great stuff there.

Do the hosting folks think that the hack was directed at your site in particular?

Jan

I have absolutely no knowledge of what’s involved in setting up forums and ‘sites’ on a host, so have no idea what happened. But from what I can gather it was a general “hack”, but the upshot is that the directories containing B5Scrolls, a Red Dwarf site, Star Trek site and a pile of artwork and other stuff have been rendered unusable somehow – other folks put that other stuff together.

I have difficulty seeing what the motivation behind doing such stuff is. The vast distances and anonymity provided by the net allows such behaviour I suppose, and is one of the reasons why I don’t fancy ‘playing’ the game (got much better things to do in the ‘real’ world). Now, if it was face to face I’d try reasoned debate and if that didn’t work, rip the f’ckers lungs out and feed them to him. ; )

Anyway . . .

Jesus, that’s an old version of the thing.

I just noticed the thread a couple down from this one – “Probably the last update to B5Scrolls” . . . . . there’s a joke in there somewhere. :wtf:

The hosting site must have backups. You might want to check with FirstOnes.com and see if they'll host your stuff. They've been trying to do that to keep sites available that might otherwise go down.

Jan

Still not decided what to do about the site. I think there are (online) backups but the owner of TMG is busy with real world stuff and getting B5Scrolls back up and running is understandably of low priority.

Which is also kind of my situation as well. There’s a variety of new content to be added, an apparently necessary revamp of the layout needed to make the thing more readable and a few more important things to deal with in the real world – so it might take a while. ; )

Whatever happens though, if I decide to put it back up (set up unique domain, hand it over to someone else, put it back up on TMG) I think it needs to be re-uploaded going by what was said. Though not sure why – possible corruption or some other problem with files maybe. As for Firstones or the Lurkers II thing, don’t know. Will have to think about that, it’s a bit of a young site to be archived off.

I know this isn't a democracy, but I vote you put it back up when you have a chance, because it's a cool site. Thanks for making it!

Raw Shark

"Cohagen, you've got what you want! Give the people air!!!"
Quaid, Total Recall

After playing around with things, decided that I’ll put the site back up while converting it over to a new layout AND zip the whole lot together when it’s finally done and offer it as a download for anyone that cares to take it. While doing this I’ll be contacting a few of the contributors so there’s likely to be some new content added at the same time

Might even make the PC version I use (as opposed to web version) the download – it has a lot more flash animations and other stuff that doesn’t quite work due to internet speeds. (morphing images and a few other bells and whistles).

Here’s a link to the layout I’ve settled on - bit clearer than the ‘pirate scroll’ – in this case less is definitely more. This stuff was uploaded a little while ago – it’s more a testing system, so is buggy as hell. At that point Steve’s interview was the furthest along – some details and images have since been included.

http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5ScrollsWhite222222.htm#Screen1_03_1

Still not any good at manipulating images on plain backgrounds – but plain and light is the way to go apparently. Though as least the one on page 6 of the Larry Bowman interview (the last thing tried at the time of uploading) is an improvement over the early stuff. ; )

Won’t bother you with periodic updates, next time I post anything the site will be finished.

(I’ll just post this on here, as I guess most active B5 fans visit B5tv from time to time)

Just a quick note for those that look over the B5Scrolls site. It’s kaput.

A few days back someone decided to ‘hack’ the folks who are hosting it, don’t know the details other than it made a bit of a mess. But as a result they’re in no kind of hurry to put the site back up – which is understandable.

It was fun to put together while allowing me to practise coding a web page (which was the whole point of the exercise), but as the idea of playing cat and mouse with the elements of the internet that like to play silly buggers doesn’t exactly appeal, I doubt if I’ll try finding a new home for it either.

So for anyone who kept meaning to lift some of the concept art from the site (and hadn’t yet done so) your to late. ; )

Cheers
Tom

Damn.

Damn, damn, danm, damn.

Damn.

Sorry I just realised I cleared out the directory in preparation of starting to upload the new stuff.

Here’s a new link so you can have an idea how it looks. Any suggestions on how to make it more readable, now would be the time to make them. ; )
http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5ScrollsTestWhite2.htm#Screen1_03_10

That link’s still to a testing system so is a bit scratchy round the edges, no error trapping etc. But the ‘look’ of the thing is pretty nailed down now.
Steve Burg – 1 to 16
Paul Bryant – 2 to 5
Tim Earls – 2 to 7
Larry Bowman – 2 to 7
Are basic screens that have been uploaded. Trying to get enough images for this is going to be fun, I’m already reduced to including cartoons. ; )

http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5ScrollsTestWhite2.htm#Screen1_02_5

BTW if anyone has things like the old titan magazines and could help in that regard (images), I wouldn't say no.

Cheers

After playing around with things, decided that I’ll put the site back up while converting it over to a new layout AND zip the whole lot together when it’s finally done and offer it as a download for anyone that cares to take it. While doing this I’ll be contacting a few of the contributors so there’s likely to be some new content added at the same time

Might even make the PC version I use (as opposed to web version) the download – it has a lot more flash animations and other stuff that doesn’t quite work due to internet speeds. (morphing images and a few other bells and whistles).

Here’s a link to the layout I’ve settled on - bit clearer than the ‘pirate scroll’ – in this case less is definitely more. This stuff was uploaded a little while ago – it’s more a testing system, so is buggy as hell. At that point Steve’s interview was the furthest along – some details and images have since been included.

http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5ScrollsWhite222222.htm#Screen1_03_1

Still not any good at manipulating images on plain backgrounds – but plain and light is the way to go apparently. Though as least the one on page 6 of the Larry Bowman interview (the last thing tried at the time of uploading) is an improvement over the early stuff. ; )

Won’t bother you with periodic updates, next time I post anything the site will be finished.

I rescind my earlier "Damn." <G>

Thanks very much for doing this! There's a jillion B5 sites out there, but you can count on one hand all the ones that are actually worthwhile - probably without using all your fingers - and Scrolls is definitely among them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back