• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

ISS being named Babylon

bakana

Beyond the rim
Search the archives.

The link was posted here when it first came out.
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Is that such a good idea? Babylons 1-3 were destroyed. 4 disappeared. Is this a good sign???
wink.gif

j/k I think this is a wonderful idea. I hope it pulls through.
laugh.gif

Rommie

------------------
Keeper of Rommie's Quarters
Commanding Officer of Zeta Squadron
Sworn to Protect the GODDESS
Recipient of the Golden Rommie
"Harper is sweet, but he believes pretty much anything I tell him. Oh I'm sorry, I may have a brain the size of a planet, but I can't tell the difference between one pretty rock and another."

There is a petition going around on the web trying to get to go over, but I can't remember the address, does anyone know??
crazy.gif

------------------

I found it, thanks.
smile.gif

I think its a great idea too, I've already emailed the lady about it.

------------------

The key is not to allow anyone named Jinxo, Jeff or Sinclair aboard.
laugh.gif

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

I think you should all read Joe's thread about online petitions. They never work, and I don't think this one will work either. A letter writing campaign would yield much better results, even with a fraction of the folowers.
But the idea itself is cool, I would like to see that happen.

------------------
I am Yu Lau! I am nobody's bitch! You are mine!

There's also a link in the links page.

I think there's more chance of Bush inviting Bin Laden over for Christmas dinner than the ISS being named Babylon.
smile.gif

It'll no doubt be named something nauseatingly preditable like "liberty" or "hope".

I personally don't mind "international space station".
smile.gif

------------------
"You're such a gentleman. Too bad I'm not a lady." - Max, Dark Angel

My other girlfriend is a crack whore.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I think you should all read
Joe's thread about online petitions. They never work, and I don't think this one will work either. A letter writing campaign would yield much better results, even with a fraction of the followers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sol.
I was over at the page and it is a snail mail thing, not on line. They provide an address and name of who it should be sent to.

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

I think it's a brilliant idea!

It'll never happen... but it's a bloody great idea! I mean, they did rename the first space shuttle Enterprise because of a letter writing campaign!

------------------
“What a piece of work is man!
“How noble in reason. How infinite in faculty! In form, in moving, how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a god!”
William Shakespeare's 'Hamlet'

From what I've understood, it's also being referred to as "Alpha" these days. As a sort of a "working title"... but those things have a nasty habit of sticking.
laugh.gif

Whatever. Babylon would be the best
laugh.gif
- and rather appropriate for an international effort - but both Alpha and ISS sound far better than something like Liberty or Hope... eeeewwwk!!
shocked.gif

I just hope that they decide upon a name (as opposed to the generic name of International Space Station) that's not a word specific to the English language. That would inevitably make it sound too US-centric (and yes, I know that the US gives the most money etc - but it's still an international project).

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge

The best info on the name to be given is that All the various suggestions were to be put to a Vote of delegates from All the participating countries.

Each delegate, of course, wanted the name to be in the language of His or Her own country.

Failing that, it would be a popularity contest between all the suggested names.
Babylon has a slight edge because it is one of the few names that All the delegates are familiar with.
If it makes it onto the list in the first place.
It actually was reported to be on several different countries lists of suggestions.
The US for instance ws compiling a list of suggestions from School Children.
Babylon is on it.
A lot of those kids are Fans.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by solaris5:
I think you should all read Joe's thread about online petitions. They never work, and I don't think this one will work either. A letter writing campaign would yield much better results, even with a fraction of the folowers.
But the idea itself is cool, I would like to see that happen.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nonono... Back here in Finland we wrote an online petition and it worked well. All of the B5 movies were shown again.
tongue.gif

------------------
Logical thinking - Perfect weapon

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back