• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Intersection in Real Life

GKarsEye

Regular
This post is not really intended to be political (I know that stuff belongs in off-topic).

Last night was one of the many instances when something I watch in B5 hits me in a way that relates to life.

I'm going through the series with my sister, her first time. Last night, my dad, sis and I had given up on watching the ESPN Sunday night NFL game (the Patriots walloping on the Bills like they were bitches- GO PATS!) None of us were sleepy. My sister and I decide to finish up season 2 of B5. No one is around when we watch, but my Dad was just hanging around before going to sleep, so he saw (or at least heard) the first half of Comes the Inquisitor, the episode where Sebastian interrogates Delenn to "test" her worthiness of fighting the cause.

My father and I have had many a heated arguments about the Iraq war. He has made the point that the war is "the right war for the wrong reasons." I argue that no such thing is possible, and it is a source of ideological disagreement between us.

So I found in particularly compelling when Lennier was explaining to Sheridan that the Vorlons were testing Delenn because, to paraphrase, the right person has be at the right place at the right time, and that without that, the work becomes corrupted. I couldn't help feeling how compelling relevant that was, and that my dad just happened to be there.
(No, I didn't say anything to him and I'm sure he didn't make the connection, but that's beside the point).

Of course that's also the episode where we start to learn how freaky the Nightwatch truly is as well, and I'll just leave it at that.

:LOL:

Ah, old Mighty is truly a politics-addict. He's seeing relevancy everywhere. ;)

Seriously, B5 was great in part because it is so relevant to the world we are living in. It is a show that will age well, rest assured. As long as humanity is dumb enough to keep repeating past mistakes, it will remain relevant. :eek:

As corny as this sounds, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying watching it all YET AGAIN.

On another note, I'm Netflixing Farscape for my sis, which she watches on her own (I have no interest in seeing it again, though I did like it). Yesterday she told me about she watched Zan's death and was sobbing uncontrollably.

I've created a sci-fi monster!

(She still resists Star Trek...)

As corny as this sounds, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying watching it all YET AGAIN.
Tell me about it man -- I got the B5 movies DVD and watched Thirdspace and A Call to Arms over the weekend, and it definitely got me itching to watch more.

I really wish Crusade could get done again. :(

I'm a minority here... Though I used to love the old show, i think I watched it too much. Three times too much. I sure as hell don't want to watch a show if i know the dialogue by memory and what's gonna happen.

Hell i just don't like sci fi anymore. What has happened to me? :confused:

Trust an addict to spread the addiction. :D

:cool:

I try but am surrounded by unbelivers!
Fas, maybe there is just not enough genre stuff around worth watching. Try the written word, all the best sci-fi is on the page, IMHO.

Allistar Reynolds, Peter F Hamilton, Neal Stephenson, Tad Williams, Ian M Banks, George R R Martin, but to name a few contemporary writers...

You don't like Science Fiction anymore? :eek:

*Thinks*

Actually, I don't much like most of it either, these days. I'm wading through the old Red Dwarf seasons (season 4 is coming to me soon) and wishing I could get Blake's 7 in Region 1 format.

If Enterprise keeps improving, I'll have one show a week I watch from USA television that is classified as science fiction. Everything else just doesn't appeal to me. :(

And the comic-book-to-movie trend depresses me in the extreme.

I sure as hell don't want to watch a show if i know the dialogue by memory and what's gonna happen.
I used to have a tape of Robin Williams "Live at the Met." I listened to it until the tape wore out. I had the entire 2 hours memorized by heart. I never noticed that I'd gotten used to quoting it instead of laughing at it. Then the tape broke. That was about 10 years ago.

I recently found a copy I'd made and forgotten about. I burned it to a CD and popped it in one day last week when I was in the car. After 20 minutes, I had to pull off the road to stop laughing.

That's why I wait a few years between "watchings." Gives me a chance to forget a lot of the things that make you go "oh THAT'S right, I forgot about that!" -- it's not as good as watching it for the first time, true, but it's still interesting again.

Robin Williams "Live at the Met."

Is that the famous show from the 70s, where like half of it is improv off the audience? That was great, by far the funniest and most relevant thing he ever did.

Robin Williams "Live at the Met."

Is that the famous show from the 70s, where like half of it is improv off the audience? That was great, by far the funniest and most relevant thing he ever did.

Reality what a concept was pretty hilarious too. That's one I listened to repeatedly, before the record disappeared.

No, his "Live at the Met" audio tape was a compilation of his shows at the New York Metropolitan Opera House... I think it was around 1985. The video was mostly from one performance, though. But, on audio tape, you can't tell the difference, so I prefer it over the video because even though you can't see all his antics, his deliveries are all pretty much spot-on.

I know which one you're thinking of, and yeah, it was a classic example of why I think he's the king of all comedy. He knows so many different levels of humor, and he can come up with scenarios for any or all of them at the drop of a hat. :)

If only he'd been on an episode of B5... (there's the topical tie-in)

See, as naturally talented as Williams is/was, I can't rank him among the greats, because he lost relevancy a long time ago. And his movies suck.

But then lately I've been listening to lots of George Carlin, Richard Pryor and Bill Hicks, so I'm coming from another place.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back