• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Interesting news on TV Guide channel

tygirwulf

Regular
I was watching the TV Guide channel for listings earlier this morning, when my eye wandered up to the top half of the screen. I saw Dylan Neal speaking, apparently an interview, but what interested me the most was the message to the left.

"Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers premieres on Sci-Fi Channel January 1, 2002."

Now, I already sent this to Anthony. I don't know if it's confirmed or not, but if TV Guide has it, I would bet there's a good chance it is.

------------------
We are all the sum of our tears - too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much and the best of us is washed away. - G'Kar

Are you sure that was January 1, and not January 2 (which is what was reported at the TV Critic's Association press tour)?

------------------

I'm pretty sure it said the first, because I was thinking, "Nice New Year's present!" I will watch TV Guide some more just in case, though.

------------------
We are all the sum of our tears - too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much and the best of us is washed away. - G'Kar

I was finally able to catch that thing on TV Guide again. It definitely said January 1, 2002.

TVGC has a thing where a fan can ask a question of one of their favorite actors. This was a case of someone asking Mr. Neal what his favorite sport is besides squash. He basically said golf and tennis, and a statement about teaching his kids to play golf, because he wouldn't mind being the father of the next Tiger Woods. The fact that he's a golf fan makes him my kind of guy.
smile.gif

I didn't know the actors were actually posting on this board. I've met more than a few "Tiger Woods" over the years on the internet, so I thought this was just another case of too-fanatic fans around here.

------------------

I actually wish it was a few days later, being bowl season/holiday time and all.

The golf thing is appreciated especially since I just got home after getting drenched by rain on the twelfth hole.

------------------
Bus

"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>It definitely said January 1, 2002.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could still be a typo, though. TNT premiered both In the Beginning and A Call to Arms in early January (01/04/98 and 01/03/99, respectively) and did well in the ratings precisely because the networks didn't have much "big deal" programming on. (They were saving what they did have for the February sweeps.) But even TNT didn't want to waste major original TV movies on a day when TV watching is down in general, and mostly limited to football. I'd be very surprised if that January 1st date held up.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited August 13, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> But even TNT didn't want to waste major original TV movies on a day when TV watching is down in general, and mostly limited to football. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, you could wonder how many of those people Not watching would be happy to tune in if there was Anything New on the air.

Let's face it, except for Sports Worship, I don't recall EVER seeing an original show of any sort broadcast on New Years Day.

I'm sure this started way back when everything was Live. All the "big names" wanted the day off. So, the day was always just "filler".

So, is NY Day really a lousy day for TV, or is it a Self Fullfilling Prophesy because no one ever Tried?

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

My gosh, that's only about 4 and a half months away! We're getting closer, whichever day it actually airs.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Someone should start a countdown for the days/hours/minutes until it shows. I wonder who could possibly do that...?

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

It strikes me it would be a bad day to broadcast a scifi movie on New Year's Day. Apart from the Rose Bowl Parade in the morning there are all the Bowl games all day long (and I don't even watch football) But it is also a day for family get-togethers and visiting friends.

I suppose we can all set our VCRs but I personally would hope it would be on the 2nd or 3rd.

------------------

I also saw the ad on the TV Guide Channel right after B5 and it definitely said January 1. (New Year's Day is on a Tuesday this year - not on a weekend.)

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

A.) Given a choice, how many people here would prefer to watch a Football game over the Rangers movie??

B.) How many people here might be Forced to watch a football game whether they want to or not??

C.) How many people Never watch TV on new Years day but might change their minds for Rangers??
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Even the second or third would not be great since the biggest bowls, the BCS, are held then.

------------------
Bus

"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

I would watch football over "rangers" because
sci fi would almost certainly air it again right after as an encore.
That does not mean I am not a HUGE fan!
laugh.gif

------------------
"I am the state"
Napoleon

Though I live in Texas, where Football reigns with an almost religious fervor over the late fall and winter, I could pretty much care less.

So I'll watch the home decorating channel, if necessary, rather than a feast of pigskin and concussions... though actually, I usually end up making a movie matinee day of it. (Same thing for Super Bowl Sunday. Great day to catch a movie...
cool.gif
)

The only exception might be if the Az Wildcats get in a Jan 1 bowl. That's my alma mater, and something I'll be able to share with my family long distance, since they will certainly be watching.
smile.gif

Ro

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

Galen

[This message has been edited by Technomage Roanna (edited August 14, 2001).]

I'm with Darth Vader. I'ld watch the games, just because I know I'ld be able to watch Rangers within the next day or so (if that) Plus the one other guy I was able to drag into B5 with me (I only got into it when SciFi started airing it) is a huge football fan. So I could either watch a game I enjoy, with a bunch of friends, beer, and food. Drinking ourselves out of the hangover we incured the night before. Or sit alone watching Rangers. Granted in the past few months I've developed an encyclopedic knowledge of B5 but even I am not that big a geek.

------------------

Holy Sh@t, I finally got the second mark!!!!!!! I'm a hustler hazah, anybody wana play a nice friendly game of billards?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
A.) Given a choice, how many people here would prefer to watch a Football game over the Rangers movie??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me!
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>B.) How many people here might be Forced to watch a football game whether they want to or not??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me!
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>C.) How many people Never watch TV on new Years day but might change their minds for Rangers??
laugh.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me! Me! Me!
laugh.gif

------------------
Noone here is exactly what he appears.
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Well, considering the fact that I was run over by my high school football team when I was in 7th grade, I don't really like football. Definitely B5: LotR for me.

It never occured to me that I could check the movies out at the local theater. I might do that this year, if I'm not stuck at my aunt's house in Texas.

------------------

Back