• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I need something to read...

merton

I hate reading books. At least I used to.

About a year ago a friend of mine practically forced me to buy Techno Book 1 and instantly became addicted to Jeanne Cavelos' writing abilities in the B5 universe and WANTED TO READ...constantly. I instantly bought the other two books in the trilogy as soon as they were released. I went to her webpage, signed up on her mailing list, I even ordered a signed copy of The Shadow Within from Jeanne herself. She has nice email etiquette. Am I obssessed? Probably.

The addiction only continued to grow - beyond Jeanne's popping of my paperback cherry. I bought the PSI Corps trilogy, then Legions of Fire, then onto the other novels....frustrated that most of them were out of print I ordered books from europe and paid double in shipping! But it was worth it. Unfortunately, I still can't find anywhere to buy new copies of books 1, 2 and 3...sigh.

I love reading...babylon 5 books, but I'm running out of Babylon 5 books to read.

I need suggestions of other good series of books to read. Intelligent books. Books that will pop my paperback cherry again.

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks to Lyta for mentioning futureshop.ca having B5S1 for 84 CAN, great price...I ordered band of brothers as well.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Unfortunately, I still can't find anywhere to buy new copies of books 1, 2 and 3...sigh.

[/quote]
The UK Amazon has the Babylon 5: Omnibus vol 1 available - it's all three of the first B5 novels (Voices, Accusations, Blood Oath) in one volume, at £5.59 or around $10. At least some of those three should still be available separately as well but with shipping etc, this might be the best shot.

I need suggestions of other good series of books to read. Intelligent books. Books that will pop my paperback cherry again.

[/quote]
Top class sci-fi books are Dan Simmons "Hyperion" saga (4 books), Asimov "Foundation" saga, Herbert's "Dune".

All of these are very different kind of sci-fi (Hyperion being deepest and Foundation lightest)

Sci-Fi...

Dune (Frank Herbert)

Outside of sci-fi...

Lord Of The Rings (JRR Tolkein)
Magician (Raymond E Feist)
1st Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: Lord Foul's Bane, The Illearth War, The Power That Preserves (Stephen Donaldson)

If we're getting into fantasy, one of the best developing series is George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire." Three books out, large ones at that, and book four is due in April, I believe (although Martin has yet to finish it so that may be pushed back).

This particular series is probably the closest to B5 of any fantasy series I've ever seen -- Martin pulls no punches, kills main charactes, and does a good job of making things real. Decent foreshadowing, too, so all in all it's moderately B5-like.

I'd also like to add my support to the recommendation of Simmond's Hyperion series. It's definitely some of the best SciFi I've ever read, practically in a league of its own.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definately be looking into Hyperion and A song of fire and ice in the next few months.

Sigma - thanks for the update on the amazon.ca price, their bob price was $10 cheaper as well...saved $20.

Merton, if you're looking for something outside of the B5 novels, pick up some of the Dragonlance series of books. Very good reading IMHO.

one of the best developing series is George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire."

[/quote]

A Song of Fire and Ice is probably the best series of books I've read in quite a while. I definitely agree about it being similar to B5. While the setting is of course different, a lot of the other aspects do remind me of B5.

All in all it's a fun read, at the very least.

going back to sci-fi less the fantasy hehe

I loved the Seafort Saga by David Feintuch
- it was AWSOME!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Merton, if you're looking for something outside of the B5 novels, pick up some of the Dragonlance series of books. Very good reading IMHO.

[/quote]

Actually, my roomate has about 40-50 Dragonlance books, I've considered reading them but being there are so many I felt intimidated /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd loan you some of my books mert, but lord only knows when you would get around to shipping them back to me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I started with the Chronicles series. I have a volume that has all 3 books in it. I enjoyed it very much. The three books are:
Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Dragons of Spring Dawning

There is also one called Dragons of Summer Flame. It is kinda like a sequel to the other 3.

But, IMHO, Chronicles would be a very good series to start the Dragonlance books with. I did. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anything by Asimov. I am currently re-reading the Foundation series. It is very good. I had been reading A.C. Clarke, and I think he can be a bit heavy at times.

Foundation is an easy series to read. Actually, I think all of Asimov's books are written to be interesting but not cumbersome.

So, I'd recommend the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm enjoying it quite a lot right now.

I found the first 2 Foundation books excellent. The rest I had less of a liking for, though the third had its moments.

Anything by CJ Cherryh. If you want fanasy then start with the Fortress series (IMHO). First book is Fortress in the eye of time i think (too lazy to go look on my book shelf). There's 4 books in that series. If you want sci-fi then start with Down Below Station and then read the rest of that series (it's not really in any certain order after that book, i read them in order of publishing dates).

Next on my list of reads is Orson Scott Cards books about Ender Wiggin. It starts with Enders Game. I read the first three books and lost interest since Ender was all grown up and getting kinda drab at that point. Still, the first 3 are worth reading.

If you got alot of time on your hands and want a really big addiction that rivals heroin then start reading Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series. Book 10 will be out here in a couple of months and he's saying it's probally gonna end on book 13, but he's also said it was gonna end before 9 at one point so there really no telling with him. But they are some of the best books i've read lately.

Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun is also a good one to read.

Let me see what else i can think of.........

If you want a short book to read the get Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

That's about all i can think of right now but it should be enough to keep you busy for about the next 2 years or so....lol. Enjoy the reads man if you pick any of them up.

Sinc
Jerome

If you got alot of time on your hands and want a really big addiction that rivals heroin then start reading Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series

[/quote]

The Wheel Of Time started off brilliantly, but around Book 6, you start to wish he would just FINISH. It's almost like watching Daytime soaps - you can leave it off for a couple of books, then rejoin and find that nothing substantially has changed.

Personally I think the Wheel of Time really got a shot in the arm around book six with the introduction of some lethally powerful new characters... but I'll say no more for fear of spoilering.

On the other hand, I did start skimming the more annoying plotlines right around in there.

Since the original post solicited non-B5 SF and that's what is being suggested, I'm going to move this thread to "Non-B5 Books, TV Shows & Films" later on this evening. It may attract even more replies there, since in this forum folks might assume you're interest in B5 books.

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back