• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I Have My DVD Boxset!

I purposely didn't preorder mine so that I could go out and buy it the day it came out. I hate knowing that I'm supposed to get a package and it's not there when I expect it to be. I got mine at Best Buy for $75, a lot less than I thought I was going to pay for it.

</font><z><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
I purposely didn't preorder mine so that I could go out and buy it the day it came out.

[/quote]

Most on-line DVD retailers ship their products so they're sure you get it on the official release date. In practice this often means that you'll get it a on the Monday or Saturday before the official Tuesday release date. A few, like Amazon.com, don't ship until the official release date because the really big sites are under a lot more scrutiny from the studios and are really paranoid about breaking street date. The official release date for Canada has been changed to November 12th, and most on-line retailers seem to be honoring that. A few Canadian brick & mortar shops either didn't get the word or screwed up, and have put the sets out for purchase according to some posts I've seen on the web.

Regards,

Joe

Well, I preordered from Amazon so that I could support this site. So you're all very welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yeah I'm in Canada and I got it at Future Shop which was selling it for (the seemingly typical price) of 75.99. I saw it on the website (hardly promoted, not being in their upcoming list although accessible in their system). Then 2 weeks before hand it was in the list, then one week beforehand it was moved by a week, but the DETAILS PAGE still said Nov 5. Anyway I went to the store first thing and it was on the shelves, so yipee! Future Shop is a pretty big chain so I dunno about the changed release date. Anyone else can tell of other Canadian retailers?

</font><z><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
Future Shop is a pretty big chain so I dunno about the changed release date

[/quote]

I know several people who received e-mails announcing the delay from different on-line vendors, and I checked a few Canadian DVD websites, all of which show the new date. Like I said, some stores either didn't get the change or they screwed up. Happens all the time in the U.S. with stores breaking street date because some kid in the stockroom didn't read a label. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Here is some information from a mostly Canadian member mailing list. Basicially, to paraphrase ... WB delayed the Canadian release date by a week at the 11th hour. The decision was made as late as Oct 28th so the DVDs had already been shipped and stocked in warehouses by this time. WB apparently sent out a notice but many retailers either chose not to read them or didn't read them carefully enough. Retailers were supposed to hold their copies until next week but many failed to do so. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

You know as I rewatch B5 season one I realize what a great show and a truly ground breaker, it was and how much I miss it.

I just watched the Episode commentaries by JMS. They are quite nice. He actually tells us a lot about the background of the series, small details in the episodes, etc. etc. Definitively interesting for Babylon 5 fans! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif For new viewers: it contains a lot of spoilers to the coming seasons....

WB delayed the Canadian release date by a week at the 11th hour. The decision was made as late as Oct 28th so the DVDs had already been shipped and stocked in warehouses by this time.

Which you'd normally expect. Retailers usually have their discs about a week or two before the release date. I have a feeling that Warner Bros. ran short and couldn't get stock to all their Canadian retailers, so they imposed a moratorium so they could catch up and the stores that hadn't received their discs wouldn't be at a competitive disadvantage. That's the only thing that seems to make sense for a delay that close to the release date, especially a delay that affects only half of a given region.

Regards,

Joe

WB apparently sent out a notice but many retailers either chose not to read them or didn't read them carefully enough. Retailers were supposed to hold their copies until next week but many failed to do so. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

LOL, well I'm certainly glad my Canadian dealer didn't read that carefully enough, I recieved the set on the release date (11/5) and it was shipped 11/1....

just watched the Episode commentaries by JMS. They are quite nice. He actually tells us a lot about the background of the series, small details in the episodes, etc. etc. Definitively interesting for Babylon 5 fans! For new viewers: it contains a lot of spoilers to the coming seasons....

I just wish he had done commentaries for all of them, but I realize that's time consuming.

I would have settled for a commentary for Babylon Squared. He had BETTER do one for War Without End, or I'll be pissed.

One ep that has always been my fav and he didn't do a commentary on was Born to the Purple that would have been fun to see.*sigh* I am just glad though we have the dvd's at all.

Mine just arrived! The UPS delivery man had a funny comment: he said I looked like a kid on Christmas morning when he delivered my package from Amazon. He asked what it was, I said Babylon 5... he commented that it was a great show but he lost track of it. I told him to check it out again!

I would have settled for a commentary for "Babylon Squared".

Season One will be out in a boxed set this Fall, and they're going to be including at minimum two commentaries from me, probably on "Signs and Portents" and "Chrysalis" (it's a matter of how much time and energy I can give to it given that there's no fees involved and I'm in the midst of Jeremiah), and if possible, "Babylon Squared", maybe "Sky Full of Stars". JMS on usenet, June 9, 2002

Unfortunately he only had the time and energy to do the first two he mentioned.

Regards,

Joe

I just got my B5 Season 1 DVD region 2 Boxset yesterday and jubilantly I sat down to watch 6 episodes on the trot!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Will watch more after work today. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*realized it had been several years since he had watched the Season 1-episodes*

*jumps up and down*

I WANT MY DVDS! I WANT MY DVDS! I HATE WAITING! AHHH! MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE! I HATE WAITING! I WANT MY DVDS!

I feel better now that I've gotten that out of my system...

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Back