• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I finally saw the Galactica

GKarsEye

Regular
I finally watched Battlestar Galactica (the original, not the new one) so that I could get in on all the geek jokes.

For some reason, I was under the impression it was mini-series, but it was actually supposed to be a series. Oh well.

It's pretty stupid. Every single TV and sci-fi cliche abounds. Yeah, maybe the "for its time" thing applies, but man, was it cheesy.

And the Cold War propoganda. "Peace can only be achieved through strength!" Ugh.

I'm so glad I have Farscape for real entertainment (currently ending season 3).

Netflix rules.

For some reason, I was under the impression it was mini-series, but it was actually supposed to be a series. Oh well.

From what I've read, the original Battlestar Galactica was originally only going to be a miniseries but was coerced into being stretched into a full series.

I loved the original when i was five or six. Now it just seems really, really bad, formulaic Glen A Larson TV.
Richard Hatch has been trying to bring it back for a long time in its original state. Now it seems he's given up and signed up for the cast of the 're-imagining', which i've yet to see.
This is interesting as the site he owns (www.battlestargalactica.com) has been the focus for much of the fan backlash against the new series.
Intresting developments.

Assuming the new miniseries comes out on DVD, I will definitely rent it. It looks to delightfully awful to pass up.

It is very amusing to contrast Ron Moores comments in interviews about creating a deep and meaningful interpersonal drama in space with wonderfully gracious female android nudity featured in the show.

:DEnjoy.

I felt the new one rules. Ron Moore is da man.

However... there was some gratuitousness. I felt, when watching it, it's almost as if SCI FI just said "more sex, more sex" which isn't unknown for networks. The sex scenes jarred against the rest of the mini-series, like they were added as an after thought.

But I really enjoyed the new mini series. It's been ages since I'd seen good space sci-fi, and this really hit the spot.

And I want Helo.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back