• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

How many other 90s genre shows get this kind of press?

We're definitely in the midst of the B5 renaissance! How far this goes we'll just have to see, but with the blu-rays topping the best-sellers lists, The Road Home getting lots of fanfare, and articles like this one in The Atlantic, hopefully it will be enough to convince the powers that be to give the reboot the green light.

JMS used to talk about how he hoped B5 would set a template and other shows would come along and replicate it and do it even better. But it feels like two things have happened – multi-year arcs are practically the norm now, but they'r not better – it feels like show runners ignored the fact that for it to work you need it all mapped out to some extent, and a singular vision. It's telling that most of the successful shows (besides B5, obviously) to have done multi-year arcs are those based on books where the story is already laid out. And B5 rarely gets the credit it deserves for pioneering the five-year arc, so it's nice to see articles like this, and hopefully there'll be more while we're in this renaissance.

Regarding which other genre shows get that kind of coverage, I've seen Deep Space Nine get some positive coverage in the mainstream press (which in my opinion it didn't deserve), I think around the time they released that documentary.

SG-1, really? But good call on Futurama. No other shows have managed not only to keep getting good press but actually get resurrected. Repeatedly. If your fans can't keep track of how many times your show has been brought back from the dead, you're doing a great job.

DS9 does get some good press, too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back