• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Holographics display and pilot movies

Lobisome

Have you ever realized that we've only seen this Holographic stuff in pilots?
I mean, Del Varner (I mean, the other guy) used this Holographic display to sneak into B5 people without being disturbed (B5: The Gathering).

Why no one used it again in 5
(even more) years until Malcolm Bridges in B5: LotR?

Just a question, not a complain.

I'm sure I'll love the movie as soon as God takes it here (Spain).

P.S.: I know that this device is, or was in B5:tG, too dangerous and would also give too problems en B5 scripts about "if everyone would get it everyone will use it".

------------------
I'm latin and cursed to loose all my hair in a time... so I'd be some Garibaldi's relative O:)

I am curious as to why you started a carbon copy of your thread in the B5 forum? It isn't like no one answered you ... Anyway, don't be surprised if this gets closed.
wink.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lobisome:
we've only seen this Holographic stuff in pilots?
I mean, Del Varner used this Holographic display to sneak into B5

Why no one used it again until Malcolm Bridges in B5: LotR?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I may be wrong, but in The Gathering, the Assassin was originallysupposed to be a shapeshifting alien. But then DS9 came out with Odo, and JMS had to make some changes.

as for why we only see it in the pilots, well, tv movies have a bigger budget than weekly shows. Back in 93 (i think) when the Gathering came out, Morphing SFX was pretty new and a bit costly. But today, every cheap fantasy show has morphing on it. not only that but Malcolm's Holosuit is a different effect anyway, so it might be more practical than the Morph effect on a weekly show.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> As for why G'Kar has a changeling net in the Centauri Trilogy, maybe it just works better? I was thinking that a Holosuit may have a limited power supply compared to a Changeling net. the Minbari Assassin pretty much had it on full time in the Gathering. Plus, with it beign so dangerous, maybe no one would think that someone would try to use it? </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
So come on rally round this brave and valiant cause with tradition, pride, and honor at its core. With swords drawn to defend stood these noble-hearted men. Faugh-an-ballagh, clear the way, me boys!!
-Dropkick Murphys: Heroes From Our Past

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cern:
Well, I may be wrong, but in The Gathering, the Assassin was originallysupposed to be a shapeshifting alien. But then DS9 came out with Odo, and JMS had to make some changes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to nitpick--from what I understand of the notes from JMSNews.com, the change to a changling net (from a shapeshifting alien) happened before the details of DS9 were released. Which makes sense, since making the assassin a Minbari underneath allowed him to give the nice "There is a hole in your mind" line :) Besides, several times things have been done on DS9 or other shows that happened to mirror or run similar to things already written (but not yet filmed) for B5, and JMS kept things the way they were because--as he stated, at least--he wasn't going to *not* do something simply because someone else also did it.

Oh, and JMS also mentioned at the time, even as The Gathering was coming out, that morphing technology had already been over-done. Whether this had a bearing on his decision to change to a changeling net, I do not know.

*scurries away*

--mcn

------------------
"Accept life's futility and the decimal elegance of the metric system. One meter: three foot, ballpark." -- Norbert, "The Angry Beavers"

[This message has been edited by Capt. Neville (edited January 25, 2002).]

Well, it's sort of an in-between question... it does concern Rangers as well.

In order to make this more Rangers-related, I'll pose another question (keeping in mind that I haven't seen the movie): was there any indication whether this new holo-suit is similar to the changeling net in the Gathering?

Because back then it sure seemed that the changeling net was the only kind of device for such "changes", and that it was dangerous. Yet this Malcolm seems to use the 'holo-suit' for the same purposes and with no bad results?

If this was just an improvement in technology, then why does

(spoilers for book 3 of the Centauri trilogy):

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>G'Kar still use the old and dangerous changeling net when he's visiting Centauri Prime?</font></td></tr></table>

I'm tempted to think that this is just a minor discrepancy issue... just one of those things where JMS has changed his mind, which is OK as far as I'm concerned.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back