• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

HEROES / VILIANS (Spoilers Welcome)

Well, for the fun of discussing logic, I think the idea the writers used behind Adam dying from Papa Patrelli taking his power is that it was Adam's regeneration that let him live so long, and that without his power he suddenly aged all the hundreds of years he's been alive in a matter of seconds. But logically, shouldn't it have been that without his power regenerating him that his cells would then proceed to age and degrade as if he was a normal human from that point onward?

By the way, what was it that enabled Future Peter to hide and reveal his scar at will? Did he have some shapeshifting power or was it that illusion power from Candice, or whatever her name was?

By the way, what was it that enabled Future Peter to hide and reveal his scar at will? Did he have some shapeshifting power or was it that illusion power from Candice, or whatever her name was?

I think it was just a way for us to tell them apart & it was Candice's ability. The scar though, if he could heal I have no idea why he had the scar.

I'm about ready to find out where the writers write for the show just so I can drive over there and kick some @$$. Season 1 Peter struggles to control his abilities... Season 2 he tries to remember that he has abilities... & Season 3 he no longer has abilities.

Plus the Sylar/Peter fight scene that I've beeen waiting for so long to see was summed up in like 30 seconds.

Season 3 = clean-up. It looks like they're eliminating some characters to bring the story back to the core cast: the Patrelli clan, Sylar, Hiro, Suresh, Parkman. And it's revolving around this battle between Mr and Mrs Patrelli, two evil people with as yet unclear objectives. I think revealing at least one of those would help a lot at this point.

Patrelli couple = Vorlons and Shadows

I wouldn't think it would heal scar tissue. Scar tissue IS healed is it not? It's just the physical remnant of the wound?

Thats not entirely accurate from a medical standpoint. Not to split hairs here about something that isn't a huge deal, just one more inconsistency in an inconsistent show, but Claire's power does seem to involve cell/tissue regeneration. That would correct scar tissue.

Thanks for posting that Pobman. I hadn't heard that yet. Interesting that they openly cite the firing as being partially motivated by the show being fairly crappy so far this season, and also for the show going over budget. I know inflation and yada yada yada, but good Lord! Heroes has a budget of $4million an episode. It's so not worth that much.

Thats not entirely accurate from a medical standpoint. Not to split hairs here about something that isn't a huge deal, just one more inconsistency in an inconsistent show, but Claire's power does seem to involve cell/tissue regeneration. That would correct scar tissue.

I see your point, but, I would think the explanation is that Claire gets scars (and heals) while her powers are intact. If she (or Peter) temporarily lost the healing power, and got a scarring wound that had already healed naturally, I'm not sure it makes sense that the previous scar would go away when the power came back. However, Noah Bennett lost his bullet scar when being shot up with Claire blood, as did Nathan's Nuclear burns (Is it possibly because those wounds hadn't finished healing before being exposed to Claire blood?)

I'll be the wet blanket and say that I doubt the writers of this show have put anywhere near enough thought into it to even have an explanation about scars and healing powers. I have little doubt anymore than the writers have only given Future Peter a scar not for an actual plot reason but for the sake of making him different than Present Peter and making FP more "hardcore" and "badass".

So, here are my thoughts regarding tonight's episode. It was a decent enough episode, and I imagine a lot of people will like it. I am particularly annoyed by it though because of elements of it that are too similar to elements of Avatar The Last Airbender.

I've posted on one element that I suspected was coming based off of reading an advance blurb description of Meredith and her "hot headed" brother. I even posted pictures from Avatar in a past post in this thread in talking about that. Tonight's episode proved my suspicions correct, but tonight's episode of Heroes included multiple other elements from Avatar, and it's really gotten under my skin. So, my comments here about tonight's episode will include me ranting about those uncanny similarities. If you want to watch Avatar yourself without any spoilers, then perhaps my comments are not for you. Otherwise, here are my comments on tonight's Heroes.

And so what I suspected with dread is true: red fire wielding Meredith has a crazy blue fire wielding brother, Flint. I have a problem with it because of the same thing having been done on Avatar The Last Airbender with red fire wielding Zuko having a crazy blue fire wielding sister, Azula, which is something I posted about a couple weeks ago, complete with pictures. Meredith tries to run from the company with her brother, and in the process of the Company trying to catch them, Meredith sets the train on fire. This train on fire is the one that Claire ran through in the first episode of the show.

And so Elle and HRG were working together to follow and track and interact with Sylar after he had taken telekinesis from his first victim? Kirsten Bell continues to be the strongest actor on this show. Not only did he know Sylar was a murderer, HRG worked to give Sylar other victims. HRG even watched Sylar kill one on camera. In the end, HRG tells Elle that the Company wants Sylar loose. So when did HRG actually start giving a shit and try to stop Sylar in season one?

There was an advertisement for something called "Heroes Destiny" or "Heroes Destinies" about some hero that was created through some progressive online fan voting process, which produced some dude name Santiago. They've apparently filmed live action story pieces about the character that they're releasing online. In the clips shown during the advertisement for it, those story pieces also includes a character played by Andrea Thompson, aka Talia Winters of Babylon 5.

Arthur can control minds and erase thoughts, and did it a lot to Angela. Linderman healed her so that she could remember the things Arthur took from her, and so she remembered Arthur's wanting to kill Nathan. Using the Haitian to block Arthur's powers, Angela proceeds to try to kill Arthur with poison. Arthur, on whatever medical machines that he was revealed to be hooked to a few weeks back, uses his power to make the doctor tell his family that he's dead and provide ashes of some other person for his family to bury.

I'm annoyed enough as it is over Meredith and Flint compared to Avatar's Zuko and Azula. But I'm further annoyed now. Angela, in an effort prevent her husband from killing her son, tries to kill her husband. In Avatar, Zuko's father was going to kill him under orders from Zuko's grandfather, and to protect Zuko from his father, Zuko's mother killed Zuko's grandfather instead. Hell, let's go ahead and throw in Hiro's white eyes and sort of "disembodied spirit" and "between worlds" description from the African Isaac. Aang on Avatar could travel between the regular world and the spirit world, during which his spirit would become disembodied and his eyes would glow white. And now they're heading to some big dramatic event centered around an eclipse, which happened on Avatar too. The first episode of Avatar was shown on February 21, 2005 with a lot of the details of the story arc already established prior to writing, much like Babylon 5. The elements of the eclipse, Aang's glowing eyes, the spirit world, Zuko and his sister, Zuko and his father and his mother, were written prior to the start of the show out of creating a backstory and in preparation for turning the narrative into the individual scripts for the show, season by season. The first appearance of Zuko's sister was in an episode on June 3, 2005, though her blue fire wasn't first shown until March 17, 2006. The first reference to the impending significant event involving the eclipse occurred in an episode on July 14, 2006. The events surrounding Zuko's mother killing Zuko's grandfather in order to keep Zuko's father from killing Zuko were first introduced on May 12, 2006.

The first episode of Heroes was on September 25, 2006. Yeah, all these similarities are probably all coincidental, as multitude as they are, but the coalescing of them in tonight's one episode has really, really gotten to me because of how much I love Avatar. In fact, I'd say that Babylon 5 only edges Avatar out for the position of my favorite show out of a sense of nostalgia I have for B5; if not for that, Avatar could very well be my favorite tv show of all time (not counting something classic like I Love Lucy).

And so Elle and HRG were working together to follow and track and interact with Sylar after he had taken telekinesis from his first victim? Kirsten Bell continues to be the strongest actor on this show. Not only did he know Sylar was a murderer, HRG worked to give Sylar other victims. HRG even watched Sylar kill one on camera. In the end, HRG tells Elle that the Company wants Sylar loose. So when did HRG actually start giving a shit and try to stop Sylar in season one?

When Sylar was targeting Claire. Her ability would make him near-unstoppable. And, he would lose his Claire-bear who he (against his own better judgment and will) grew to love his daughter.

Can't comment on the Avatar stuff, never saw it.

I enjoyed the episode. It feels like it's getting back to the Heroes I started to appreciate in season 1. Interesting that Claire's mom and the other fire dude are brother/sister.

Papa Petrelli is gonna get his in a bad way. No way they can strip Peter and Hiro of their powers and have the viewers jive with that.

Angela Petrelli is turning out to be a "good guy," or perhaps just a very over-protective mother.

Claude was referenced in the episode which made me smile. "Some invisible guy got me in the alley."

Hiro needs to get over his whininess and crybaby mentality about going back in time. Apparently, he gets over this because future Hiro made it back to warn Peter Petrelli about "saving the cheerleader, saving the world." I just wish he'd hurry up and get to it. He should have a grasp of his friggin' power by now. Peter sure uses it with ease.

Elle is awesome. I wish they'd upgrade her from "special guest star" to full-time cast member. Her vulnerability in this episode was touching--especially with the conneciton she made with Sylar. Makes me wonder if future Sylar's little wee one is Elle's (provided she doesn't bite it soon, which would be a poor move on behalf of the writers.)

I haven't seen Avatar, so if there are a lot of similarities between them I guess I don't really mind so much, since I don't watch anime.

Having seen the commercials for this ep, I went into it with the intention of letting this episode determine if I would continue watching. By admitting season 2 was weak and canning some of the staff, the Heroes crew want to break the show down to its core elements and sort of start over, and I'm willing to play along if it's entertaining enough.

I loved the episode because it accomplished that. It's a battle of the Patrellis with everyone else caught in the middle.

My only major complaint was that Arthur Patrelli was all too eager to kill his son over some legal proceedings. It just seems that with all of the resources- political, financial, and magical- at the disposal of both Arthur Patrelli and Linderman, they could find a less horrific way to stop Nathan's investigation.

But I pretty much liked everything less.

I haven't seen Avatar, so if there are a lot of similarities between them I guess I don't really mind so much, since I don't watch anime.

Having seen the commercials for this ep, I went into it with the intention of letting this episode determine if I would continue watching. By admitting season 2 was weak and canning some of the staff, the Heroes crew want to break the show down to its core elements and sort of start over, and I'm willing to play along if it's entertaining enough.

I loved the episode because it accomplished that. It's a battle of the Patrellis with everyone else caught in the middle.

My only major complaint was that Arthur Patrelli was all too eager to kill his son over some legal proceedings. It just seems that with all of the resources- political, financial, and magical- at the disposal of both Arthur Patrelli and Linderman, they could find a less horrific way to stop Nathan's investigation.

But I pretty much liked everything less.

Yeah, it makes me wonder if Nathan was really his. I always had a sneaking suspicion that one of the Petrelli boys was Linderman's. Considering that Sylar has powers that "steal" and Peter can absorb powers (much like their father,) Nathan was "created." He didn't get his powers naturally. I always wondered if it was because he had a different father. So, who knows. I also wonder how old Sylar is. Wonder if he is the oldest or youngest or middle, etc. But, it's just a little quirky idea of mine.

OK so Papa Patreli has been messing with his wife's head for a while so why didn't he just mess with his son's head and get him to give the case to another DA. Problem solved and New York goes boom. But no, the writers must have a long story to tell so he does the stupid thing and tries to kill his son.

Some things still bother me though.
1) What is the purpose of the company? If they just locked up "special" people I would understand it but they do so much extra curricular stuff that it doesn't make much sense.

2) Where did Adam fit into the system? Did he lead the company at one point and get pushed out by the Patrelis or did he work for them? What did they do to him to make him start killing the founding group?

3) In Monday's episode while gardening Mama Patreli tells her husband that Peter will be so powerful when his powers come in. How did they know he would have powers and what they would be? Sometimes it makes sense as in Sylar and Peter can take others powers in different ways like their dad. But Claire can heal unlike her mom (fire) and dad (fly)

I hate when writers don't think things through

In Monday's episode while gardening Mama Patreli tells her husband that Peter will be so powerful when his powers come in. How did they know he would have powers and what they would be?

We learned this season that Nathan Patrelli, like Nicky/Jessica, was genetically engineered to have powers.

OK so Papa Patreli has been messing with his wife's head for a while so why didn't he just mess with his son's head and get him to give the case to another DA. Problem solved and New York goes boom. But no, the writers must have a long story to tell so he does the stupid thing and tries to kill his son.

Some things still bother me though.
1) What is the purpose of the company? If they just locked up "special" people I would understand it but they do so much extra curricular stuff that it doesn't make much sense.

2) Where did Adam fit into the system? Did he lead the company at one point and get pushed out by the Patrelis or did he work for them? What did they do to him to make him start killing the founding group?

3) In Monday's episode while gardening Mama Patreli tells her husband that Peter will be so powerful when his powers come in. How did they know he would have powers and what they would be? Sometimes it makes sense as in Sylar and Peter can take others powers in different ways like their dad. But Claire can heal unlike her mom (fire) and dad (fly)

I hate when writers don't think things through

We learned from Elle's dad, that they basically used to run the company by committee. Adam apparently went power hungry before the rest of them, and they locked him away in a cell (since they couldn't kill him), and when he escaped with Peter, he took his revenge for all the years they had him locked up.

The company seems to have different priorities according to who is actually running the show at the Company at the time. The most noble purpose of theirs seems to have been ensuring people with powers that they find aren't dangerous or they lock them up (or try to recruit them to their goals). I suppose we could assume that through this monitoring of those with powers, they find out possible futures, and work to manipulate that future to their own means.

I actually enjoyed the episode pretty well. A couple things didn't quite feel like they fit established canon (Does the show worry about canon? A couple of times Tim Kring has expressed that the volumes are like comic books and seperate, so maybe the reason for that is to get us not to expect perfect canon?) I'd likem to go back and watch the previous "flashback" episodes to verify a couple of things that didn't quite seem to fit, but, overall, I thought the episode was more than decent.

Papa Petrelli is gonna get his in a bad way. No way they can strip Peter and Hiro of their powers and have the viewers jive with that.

My guess is that it's going to come down to Sylar and Arthur. In the flashbacks, HRG commented that Sylar's power was transferring powers from one person to another. I wonder if that's a hint at what's to come. If Sylar's power was simply absorption or mimicry, I don't think the description would've been given as "transferring". So, perhaps in killing Arthur, Sylar transfers powers from him back to Peter and Hiro.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back